News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Eric Franzen

Berlin Sporting Club, Faldo Course (pictures incl.)
« on: December 21, 2005, 05:56:41 PM »
So, all the courses up here in Stockholm are covered by snow. Time to reminisce a bit over the season that passed by.

Found these pictures from Berlin Sporting Club, The Nick Faldo Course (opened 1996, measures approximately 7 000 yards) when I sorted through the files in the digital camera.

Played there back in September. A couple of memorable holes like the par 5 6th (good risk & reward tee shot) and the well bunkered one shotter no 3. Less joyful points would be some of the very tight fairways which were surrounded by long and thick rough of the worst kind.

Good old Nick delivers a tough challenge which in my humble opinion lacks a bit of soul and personal charm. All in all: Three swedish armchair architects out of five.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:58:04 PM by Eric Franzen »

Neil_Crafter

Re:Berlin Sporting Club, Faldo Course (pictures incl.)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 03:12:48 AM »
Nice post and photos Eric
Looks like a decent site and on the face of your pics, Ol' St Nick has done a decent job.
Keep up the posting.
cheers Neil

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 05:29:14 AM »
Is it me or does anybody else think these photos remind them of Muirfield?

Thanks for posting Eric.  Do you have anymore?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:07:36 AM »
Yes, there does seem to be quite a linksy look, doesn't there.  There is so much potential in the former DDR as well as places such as Poland.  Thanks for posting - let's see more, please!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 08:10:40 AM »
it always looked pretty good on TV, thanks for the pics Eric.  I think this is an EGD design, so who was the real architect?  Stan Eby?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 09:20:23 AM »
Is it me or does anybody else think these photos remind them of Muirfield?

Thanks for posting Eric.  Do you have anymore?

Ciao

Sean

Exactly!  Wow!  I was just flipping past the photos kind of quick and thought...Muirfield!  Although I've never actually played Muirfield, I have seen it and the similarity is definitely there.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Eric Franzen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the positve feedback.

Yes, Stan Eby is supposed to have been involved. So far I have never seen him officially credited for the course but I found the following quote in the Scotsmans piece about Nissan Irish Open "...Working with the highly-regarded American, Stan Eby, who helped Nick Faldo design the admired Sporting Club of Berlin".

Stan Eby quite recently got his own signature course at the Berlin Sporting Club. It is 18 holes who possess a slight touch of a modern heathland vibe. I belive it is a bit better suited for the family golf outing than the more difficult Faldo course.

brad_miller

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:13:10 AM »
Hope Cottonwood Hills outside of Hutchinson KS turns out this well!! The KS site is great, don't yet know what the impact of the housing will be on this fine piece of prairie land. Does anyone know who is working with Faldo on this one?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back