News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Hendren

The Wethered & Simpson Quadrilateral
« on: December 21, 2005, 10:15:25 AM »
Excerpts from the Authors' Preface of The Architectural Side of Golf :

"...we have tried to look at this architectural side of golf from several different standpoints....

There is, for example, the traditional - what might be termed the classical view:  and being ourselves catholic in feeling on the matter, we notice with regret the extent to which  modern design tends to depart from the original Scottish models...

Then, again, a golf course is a field of manoeuvre and action, employing, as it were, the military and engineering side of the game.  It opens up a series of tactical and strategical opportunities...

Thirdly, there is the artistic side.  No reason exists why a golf course should not decorate a landscape rather than disfigure it....

Vitality is another quality that is essential.  Instinctively we feel that one course is alive, another dead and insipid, lacking energy of expression...."

Tradition.  Strategy.  Artistry.  Vitality.

Brilliant criteria in my book.

Mike

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:16:46 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ForkaB

Re:The Wethered & Simpson Quadrilateral
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »
My book too, Bogey

Thanks!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »
Thirded.

The BEST book I have ever read on Golf Course Architecture. Wait a minute? Didn't I post a thread on that very topic...

FBD.

PS It's my birthday today (45 - eek!) and I am feeling slightly melancholy, bathing in the afterglow of a golfing year that knocks every preceding one into the proverbial cocked hat.

First visits to Muirfield, Carnoustie and CPC....I am one lucky, lucky boy...how much better does it get.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 12:34:18 PM »
First visits to Muirfield, Carnoustie and CPC....I am one lucky, lucky boy...how much better does it get.

Dornoch blows those dog tracks away..... ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 01:28:21 PM »
Hillbilly,
Glad to see you have finally taken my advice to read the book. Even better is that Rich is finally coming around and warming to it after years of dissing my favorite book on golf architecture--next to GAIA and The Links.

Remember when you dissed my post on Attack and Defence Rich? (I never forget a post!)

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 03:51:35 PM »
  " Tradition.  Strategy.  Artistry.  Vitality.  "

Of those, it would seem Tradition would be the most difficult to honor.  A musician (IA) once mentioned a disappointment in a tribute album of his works by different bands.  Of all the efforts, he only appreciated a couple because, he said, they were the only ones that changed the originals into something more interesting.

I've heard golf architects claim they are designers of "Traditional" golf courses . . . I've always been boggled by that concept.  Which era of traditions are they being inspired by?  Certainly, Simpson was inspired prior to the massive machinery that could give unbridled and unlimited possibilties of design.

Anyway, That book is partly responsible for the great bunker work of Jeff Bradley (C&C).  When he came on board with them, they gave him that book.  I'm sure others have been inspired by it as well.    
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 04:45:34 PM »
Great Norbert of the Northwest:

Perhaps tradition should be given less weight, but it makes for a nice four-legged chair that might totter over in the total absence thereof.  

I'm struggling with an analogy to the Wesleyan Quadrilateral:  Scripture, tradition, experience and reason - with Scripture given primary emphasis, and rightly so.

In the context of golf course architecture, perhaps tradition's role is to provide a benchmark or plumbline, perhaps a check and balance?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:47:21 PM »
Thomas

Bogey's excerpts above say nothing about "attack and defense," so I might still diss it.  Remind me of what you said, your highness.  As for the book, what is in post #1 is all I have read--is the rest of it any good? ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 10:47:34 PM »
Bogey
A beautiful, clean and simple analysis on your part.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 11:17:48 PM »
Irhc,
The rest of the book is legendary, although your in good company, Daniel Wexler didn't care much for it either! :)

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 01:49:12 AM »
Tommy

Never said I didn't care for it--how could I if I haven't read it?  I like to actually experience things before I comment on them.  I know this is contrary to the predilections of some on this site, but so be it. ;)

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 04:03:52 AM »
  Richard, maybe you could forward this following info to Santa.  You have been good all year haven't you?

http://shop.classicsofgolf.com/servlet/the-Architectural/Categories

It's a terrific book with the finest illustrations you'll see anywhere.  I appreciate Simpson's input the most but Wethered has got a nice style - just not as much substance as Tom.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 04:45:21 AM »
Tommy

Never said I didn't care for it--how could I if I haven't read it?  I like to actually experience things before I comment on them.  I know this is contrary to the predilections of some on this site, but so be it. ;)

Rich,
Your comments on Attack and Defence were made after I posted the ENTIRE chapter. If you go back into the archives, I'm sure you'll find it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back