News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Mercedes 18th Hole
« on: January 08, 2006, 11:06:48 AM »
Do you think we will see the 18th at the Plantation Course as a Par 4 in our lifetime?

PThomas

Re:Mercedes 18th Hole
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 11:10:44 AM »
I mentioned the same idea last year for Augusta's par 5s last year Steve, although I haven't kept up with this year's set of changes ::) so they might now be 789 yards long for all I know

what are the boys hitting into 18 this year?  is the wind direction similar on that hole from year to year?

another one that comes to mind is 17 at Castle Pines...don't most of them hit no more than 5 iron seconds there?  is so I really don't understand why that would still be a 4
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
it's more probable to see it as a 720-730 yard par-5 actually.  Is it possible to reach if that long??  I dont know.

But part of the magic of Kapalua is the 18th, and being able to reach it.  If it was a Par-4, it would detract from the course.  Plus, if it was a par-4 then 50% or more of the players couldnt reach it.  Then the players would start yelling, and screaming, all that dumb stuff.  So the answer is no ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:22:47 AM »
Do you think we will see the 18th at the Plantation Course as a Par 4 in our lifetime?

Well, we could go down the path that, in stroke play, what the player scores in relationship to par on any given hole, is meaninglesss.

If a player, coming to the 18th hole at Kapalua in the final round, needs to hole out in 4-strokes to win, then whether the hole is par-4 or par-5 is meaningless.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 11:35:29 AM »
Yeah, and besides, it's not like it's a 663 yard flat hole with no wind.  It's over 200 feet of elevation drop from tee to green.  And the trade wind makes it strongly downwind and a little right to left.  Factor all this in, and ANY player is going to hit it 50--75 yards further.  I also believe that golf club technology has pretty much maxed out, and 750 yard par 5s are not going to be necessary.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Boehm

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »

another one that comes to mind is 17 at Castle Pines...don't most of them hit no more than 5 iron seconds there?  is so I really don't understand why that would still be a 4

I agree that given the length and altitude, the 17th at Castle Pines is kind of a half par hole and could just as easily be a par 4 for those guys.  But, given the Stableford system and where the hole falls in the round, it makes for a lot more exciting television to round up and play it as a par 5.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back