News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

14th at Holyhead -- A Fearsome Hazard?
« on: November 05, 2005, 09:43:20 AM »
I just love this picture for some reason.

I assume since those are yellow stakes it's a regular hazard and can't be played as a lateral. Imagine the mortification if you hit into this little pond, had to drop behind it, and managed to top the ball into it again. The guys I play with would still be ragging me about it 20 years later.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:33:51 PM by Brent Hutto »

Joe Hancock

Re:14th at Holyhead -- A Fearsome Hazard?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:46:47 AM »
A better example of why I hate staking on a golf course could not be displayed.

Otherwise, very cool landscape.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 10:05:49 AM »
Joe,

I think the wide-angle lens in that photo makes the stakes even more obvious than they would be in person but I do agree with your take on stakes. Hey, at least the stakes are color coordinated with the gorse!

In doing armchair tourism it never ceases to amaze me how often a not particularly artistic photo of some uncelebrated course off the beaten track in Scotland, Wales or the Hebrides can still look so inviting I'm tempted to catch a plane tomorrow and go play there. If I were wealthy I could imagine spending ten days twice a year for the rest of my life going places that wouldn't ever show up on a packaged golf tour.

The north/west and south coasts of Wales, the far northern reaches of the Scottish highlands, Kintyre and Islay, the western Hebrides, the Kentish coast of England, even some of the inland areas of England and Scotland all could be worthy destinations for golf that would seem otherworldly to this not well traveled American and they don't require spending $200+ per round or staying in resorts that charge a couple hundred a night for a bed and a roof.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 08:21:58 AM »
Joe

I agree, it isn't pretty.  It would be an interesting to concept to have lost balls in a fairway water hole.  I have not seen it done before, but I spose it isn't any different to having nasty rough in the middle of a fairway.  Why can't the a ball be declared lost if one can't find it in the pond?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »
Hey, Sean. Does something about these pictures seem vaguely reminiscent?

Cool stuff, except for the gorse it wouldn't look totally out of place right here in the Carolinas.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:33:06 PM by Brent Hutto »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 09:23:08 AM »
Here's the web page for Holyhead http://www.holyheadgolfclub.co.uk/ which uses frames so I can't deep link to the pictures I appropriated for this thread. The fourteenth hole intrigues me. According to the caption, that little water hazard

is behind the green so I can only infer that the line of play is from the right side of that picture. It's a short Par 4 (254 yards from the members tees, 268 from the championship ones) with a blind tee shot
and I had first thought that little pond is in the landing area which would be tres cool but maybe the landing area is mundane and not pictured on the web site with the pond being for someone who tries to drive the green and waaaay overshoots.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:33:42 PM by Brent Hutto »

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 09:24:09 AM »
Brent

You forgot about the Carolina pines!

Holyhead looks a decent place for a game of golf.  Though I am told by many other than Mark R. that Bull Bay is the real winner on Anglesey.

Ciao

Sean

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 09:59:57 AM »
I was actually browsing toward the Bull Bay web site when I came across Holyhead's. Here's a hole at Bull Bay that Mark and I would find just dreamy, I'm sure.

Scroll down to the 13th hole
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 10:02:26 AM by Brent Hutto »

Marc Haring

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »
It's not only the stakes that ruin the scene but really, do they have to have a life belt there as well? I mean, you'd have to be a tad unlucky to drown in that puddle!

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 01:15:20 PM »
Brent

The name of the 13th is fascinating, Cae Syr Rhys.  Syr Rhys op Tomos was a Welsh nobleman.  Tudor Aled, a praise poet of Welsh nobility, wrote of Syr Rhys once he reached his pinnacle after a fetival held at Carew Castle in South Wales.  It is claimed one thousand people were in attendance.  

Rhys gained his fame by siding with Henry Tudor (later to become Henry VII) in the War of the Roses.  He switched his family alliance from the Lancastrians to the Yorkists when Henry Tudor came to Wales to raise an army to invade England.  It is alleged that Rhys killed Richard III on the field of Bosworth in 1485, thereby breaking the stalemate of the war.  For his services, Henry VII made Rhys a knight and Govenor of Wales.  

Syr Rhys later served Henry VIII in the invasion of France.  Despite Syr Rhys's loyalty to the crown, Henry VIII had his grandson killed and stole Carew Castle.  So much for loyalty!

The name of the hole is intriguing because I reckon the hole may be a part of land that was once owned by Syr Rhys.  "Cae" translates as field.  

Ciao

Sean

Andy Doyle

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
A better example of why I hate staking on a golf course could not be displayed.

Otherwise, very cool landscape.

Joe

Joe:

This is the one that got me - #6 at Waterville.  Beautiful hole & backdrop - the stakes really ruined the view.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 03:05:02 PM »
Andy,

We're on the same page.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back