News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Pinehurst #2 vs. Kingsley Club: which "style" do you prefer?
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:15:43 PM »
I prefer Kingsley's ...#2 is too subtle for me to truly appreciate,  I think...perhaps it is because i'm a 15 handicapper???  is #2 more appreciated by you low handicappers???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

George Pazin

Re:Pinehurst #2 vs. Kingsley Club: which "style" do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »
Bumping - surprised no one's commented.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:17:52 PM »
I like both courses in their own way, but would select Kingsley to play if I was given the choice between the two.
I simply love DE vRIES' work at Kingsley..I found the course simply spellbimding, I could play there everyday and noy get tired of the shot options the lay out reflects...
I know that #2 has  iy's fair share of shot options and I think is a good course, I just prefer Kingsley..

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:06:25 PM »
Paul and Michael,

Thanks for the compliments.  #2 is a pretty amazing place but Kingsley is 20 minutes from my house so I guess that makes it easy for me!   ;D

Happy Halloween everyone!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 12:35:33 PM »
Paul:

I am a huge fan of both courses -- if anything I can mention it's that #2 can handle championship play at the highest of levels -- as well as levels a bit further down the food chain. TKC was designed for member play and it clearly succeeds in a wonderful way.

The subtle elements at #2 can be quite vexing for people who play there once or just twice. I had the opportunity while a student in the Carolinas to sample #2 about 30-40 times. It's well done and although the US Open was a bit more dramatic with balls running off the tightly cropped areas -- the demands for positioning and for not throwing everything but the kitchen sink in terms of visual cues is what separates #2 from so many other courses.

The biggest reason #2 gets little raves from the higher handicap types is that too many of them have overdosed on playing courses where the visual / eye-candy elements are much more pronounced.

The Kingsley Club is simply a superb layout -- although I think there's a slight fall-off in terms of overall qualities of the ineer half versus the superb front nine.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 01:06:14 PM »
I am one of the biggest fans of The Kingsley Club.  Even with its aclaim I feel that is perhaps the most UNDER appreciated great modern designs in the US.

I would absolutely choose to play TKC over Pinehurst #2.  I find the "subtle challenges" of #2 to be highly repetitive.  Give me the greens complexes at Wannamoisett or Plainfield any day.  They are varied and complex compared with #2 which are pretty simple once you actually are on them.  I played #2 with Burmuda and again with the over the top G2 bent and I preferred the burmuda.

If we can use Ran's fun meter to choose between the two courses I think TKC wins every time.  Its long par 4 15th holds up with #5 at Pinehurst #2.  Its par 3's are superior in every sense and its short par 4 #13 matches the great #3 at Pinehurst.  The par 5's may be a wash.  I give the nod to TKC on overall varied architecture as well.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 02:58:57 PM »
Redanman...I love it..as a lover of the only motor sport worth watching...thanks for the special treat..as long as MS did not win again!

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 12:25:00 AM »
"Motor sport" is one of the classic definitions of an oxymoron, along with "military intelligence" and "maintenance meld."

Oops

"Maintenance Meld" is more properly a Paulian synechdoche.

Sorry

Oops (Part Deux)

Forgot to add the obligatory smiley faces. :'(

:) ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:33:35 AM by Rich Goodale »

Peter Pratt

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:01:06 AM »
I know nothing about NASCAR, so I'll return to the topic. I love the Kingsley Club, which I've played 5 times, and struggled with the greatness of Pinehurst #2, which I've played only once. I'd certainly like to play it more. I found myself playing to the center of almost every green at #2, which seemed limiting.

Kingsley is a blast. I play it once a year or so and can't wait to play again. For fun, variety, challenge, and options, there aren't many better that I've played in my limited experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back