News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

CRAIL - 6,000 yards of FUN!
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:58:16 PM »
Here's some pics of this afternoon's meeting of the Brothers Dodd and the FBD.

Crail was in splendid shape. Greens playing fast and smooth. Some of those contours and pin positions were quite sphincter-puckering to say the least!

The Brothers Dodd on their final day in Scotland...

Stan having chipped it close about to wander up for another Par (or was this one Birdie?)...

Stan with the honour (yet AGAIN)

The VERY! uphill Par 3...

immediately followed by the very downhill one...

Happy Boys in the Clubhouse pre-Pint...

Stan and I have arranged for a re-match at a certain California Golf Course of note at the end of November... ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

Re:CRAIL - 6,000 yards of FUN!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:23:41 PM »
I too am a big admirer of the auld Balcomie Links, a bunch of great holes.  Do NOT attempt to cut off too much on either #4 or #5!  :P

My only complaint is the close proximity of the holes on the bluff top - #2 green, #3 tee, #3 green, #4 tee, #8 green, #9 tee, #11 green, #12th tee... it's absolutely charming when there's nobody else out on the course, but when it's busy (as it was the Thursday of the Open last July), you do a LOT of standing around on the 3rd tee waiting for the group ahead to clear the green and tee off on #4, and there are a LOT of golf balls whizzing around up there!  It's probably the course where you are most likely to be decked by a stray Titleist, or at least have to hit the deck.

All those tees and greens listed above are in an area maybe 200 yards in diameter!

But absolutely a Scottish treat not to be missed!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:24:53 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:38:02 PM »
Stan and I have arranged for a re-match at a certain California Golf Course of note at the end of November... ;)

I am going to put the odds at even that you will need the same jacket/sweater combination for the day.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 01:44:45 PM »

I am going to put the odds at even that you will need the same jacket/sweater combination for the day.

Mr B,
by the tenth hole today, those overgarments had been removed as the sun shone brightly over the bonnie East Neuk. (Stan's pictures will later confirm).
In the clubhouse afterwards, the phrase 'this is just like a february day in southern california' was heard!!!

Uncle Bill,
I'd tend to agree re the 'bluff' situation. (I'd maybe describe it as a 'raised beach', but what the hell do I know!)
If this Course was built on the same site today, they'd move lots of earth and create an american style course. Oh wait, they already did!!!! ;D ;D ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »
FBD, I assume you refer to the adjacent Craighead course.

I must be one of the few who actually enjoyed playing there and found a number of very intreresting holes and a wall which was in play in very sporting fashion a couple of times.

#10 is a world class short par 4.

As has been often mentioned, the site is certainly not as inspiring as the Balcomie.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:14:37 PM »
The par 3's at Crail are really strong holes and are the real strength of the course to me. I love the place and the land.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 11:10:21 PM »
FBD,

I wonderful course I liken to Brora for its place in the world of golf.  

i.e a lovely, somewhat quirky(take away the cows of Brora and Crail has more), affordable links right next door to one of the best courses in the world.  By the way any estimate for what a year's membership sets you back?  

If not for a bland closing stretch it would be truly top drawer.

This is the very reason Crail tops the list of home base choices for a years time.  

I expect to see you in a little over a year FBD.  

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 08:05:10 AM »
Played both courses at Crail when I was over in Scotland about 6 weeks ago. They are both excellent courses & lots of fun.

Re:the 5th hole. It was a windy day (as always) the day I played it & took the chickens way out with a quite conservative line.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back