News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jack_Marr

Re:Costs of Scotland and Ireland
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2005, 05:39:23 AM »
GB & I works for me but a proud Ulsterman may be less keen as Great Britain refers only to the big island and most of the little ones.

Hi Andy

This is true, but other proud Ulster men would be less likely to like the term British Isles. In fact, the majority of Ulstermen would be of this opinion.

Anyway, I hope I don't sound angry or anything about this, but I do like to clear these things up.

Keith - I thought that alright. I thought it was something like the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands, or something like that.

In fact, I think some obscure part of England is technically still at war with Russia because of the changing of geographical titles.
John Marr(inan)

ForkaB

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2005, 03:55:09 PM »
Jack

Berwick-upon-Tweed has bounced back and forth between Scotland and England as much as Huckaby's pelota and the front and back of the 11th green at Shinnecock.  Berwick's football club still plays in the Scottish League, even though the town is (for the time being!) English.

From Wikipedia:

"At war with Russia?

Various proclamations promulgated before 1885 referred to "England, Scotland and the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed". One such was the declaration of war against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". But when the Treaty of Paris (1856) was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was missed out. Was it still at war with Russia or not? In 1966 a Soviet official waited upon the Mayor of Berwick, Councillor Robert Knox, and a peace treaty was formally signed. Mr Knox is reputed to have said "Please tell the Russian people that they can sleep peacefully in their beds.""

Andy

"GPS at Dornoch!"  Hmmmm......sounds like a title for my next book......... ;)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2005, 12:48:50 PM »
Rich

Berwick should have taken its chance when the Russians were engaging the German troups during WWII. A flanking pincer maneuver could have seen them take Lenningrad.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back