News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Al T.

Most Overrated Architect Based on Rankings?
« on: October 11, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Just looking over the most recent Golf Digest and Golf Magazine rankings, it appears that Art Hills does not have a course on either list. Is it really possible he does not have a design that is ranked. He has done over two hundred courses, couldn't he have gotten lucky just once?! Is there anyone else in modern times who has designed this many courses and is unable to crack the lists? I guess RTJ II is close, with one ranked design and nearly 200 gems to his credit. Ted Robinson has Sahallee and nothing else. Thoughts?

James Clifford

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
For what its worth, RTJ has done three courses in Australia, all of which are generally ranked in the top 30 in the country by the equivalent magazines to the ones you mentioned. I believe his best work is in general overseas from the States.Like it or hate it, The National down in the Mornington Peninsula is a well constructed and professionally polished golf course.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Al I've often had similar questions about Hills? He's been in the business a very long time now and, you're right, not a single course he's designed is well-renowned. He's most famous for destroying great classical courses thru re-design!Jeff
jeffmingay.com

John Sessions

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
What about Michael Hurdzan? Nobody actually thinks AH is any good but Hurdzan keeps winning BS awards while never having designed a course in the top 100. Plus he wrote a nice big book so he must be smart, right?

Al T.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
You are right John. Hurdzan is much worse. At least Hills courses are playable. Hurdzan's look like a bad dream. And they cost a fortune to build evidently.

Joel_Stewart

Re:Most Overrated Architect Based on Rankings?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 07:14:42 PM »
Graves & Pascuzzo have more than 800 courses and not one in a top 100 list?

Ted Robinson built Sahalee in Seattle which has now dropped out of the GD top 100.  He is retired and has 107 courses to his credit.

I can't count high enough for Palmer and Seay although they may have a modern course on Golf Weeks list.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back