News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Part II of Dunlop White's Feature Interview is posted
« on: April 19, 2005, 09:15:46 AM »
The subject of tree management seems to polarize people. At one end, there are those that think clear-cutting is the answer to the world’s evils and at the other, many see trees as an inherent part of the challenge that differentiates inland golf from other forms.

Certainly, every club ought to seek to provide the optimal playing corridors for its members and as well as use proper tree management to promote a healthy forest within the club property. But since those answers vary from club to club, where to start? It may appear a daunting task if your club has thousands and thousands of trees and limited funds but a clear tree management program is a must.

Have a read of Dunlop’s Feature Interview, Part I and II as it addresses these very issues. For more information, and maybe even to talk about the specifics at your own club, feel free to contact Dunlop White via his cell number: (336) 972-2856.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:34:58 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Dunlop_White

Re:Part II of Dunlop White's Feature Interview is posted
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »
Thanks Ran! The topics are posted below!

10. Discuss the liability issues of integrating trees for safety and protection purposes?

11. Tree Care and Conditioning procedures on golf courses?

12. Tree Management?

13. Who should perform all the tree work on golf courses?

14. Describe some successful tree removal tactics which help evade the emotional battlefield of club politics?

15. What are the most successful methods of cultivating membership support for tree removal?

16. What are the advantages of tree transplantation?

17. Summarize the dos and don’ts when planting trees?

18. What proved to be the principal sources of information as you began compiling your tree thesis?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:42:43 PM »
Mr. White, would you have anything to add about the recovery of cash for sale of certain fine hardwoods, to veneer stripper companies or sawmills?  I have seen many beautiful hardwoods in our area of Wisconsin expeditiously taken out, and not properly harvested for good lumber.  This seems like a waste in todays scarcity of decent wood products-building boom market.  A fine black walnut can bring serious cash back to the members, which I'd think they would like to use on something else of need for the course.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:52:36 PM »
R.J. Daley,

I don't know just how lucrative it could be. Let me ask around? We offer the wood back to our membership -- on a who needs to know basis -- by chopping and stacking them for firewood in the winter.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 04:52:59 PM by Dunlop_White »

Mike McGuire

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 05:01:26 PM »
Dick

I think our  club raised appox 30K a number of years(10 or so)  back selling timber to a local mill. I think it might be time to investigate this again.

Mike

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 03:55:58 PM »
Great point. But please let me know who's doing the buying. Hell, ours is free of charge for those who'll come take it away.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 06:33:52 PM by Dunlop_White »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 08:07:18 PM »
Last year in Beaumont, TX the club generated a few extra bucks with few hundred trees.  It allowed them to get a couple alternate bid items included in the project.

Great article Dunlop.  I've already sent it to one super.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back