News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

How Demanding Are You
« on: March 06, 2005, 12:59:32 AM »
If you go out of your way to see a course-lets say a couple to a few hours travel.  What does it have to provide to be worth the effort?

I think I've gone through a cycle with this.  From not very demanding, to being a snob, and then back again.  If a course within a few hours travel has at least one outstanding hole or unique feature then it's worth it.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Doug Siebert

Re:How Demanding Are You
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 03:36:34 AM »
I'm not driving several hours to see one outstanding hole in a sea of mediocrity.  I want something that challenges me, makes me think, provides me multiple options so I'm not really sure if I'm playing it the best way for my game or not.  Something where next time I visit if conditions are different whatever I've learned may be out the window on some holes because its a whole new ballgame.

Having a nice clubhouse, a historic locker room, great shower heads, or indeed any clubhouse larger than a lean to built out of discarded 2x4s, having some college freshman there to take my bag when I arrive, having a paved parking lot with lines drawn in it, handicap spots and lanes painted for carts to drive through, or having carts at all, those really don't do anything for me.  I'm there to play golf, not to hang out, network, drink a pint of Guinness or be pampered.  My ideal course has a world class course but makes due with an honor box and a gravel parking lot.  If you can't carry your own bag you better bring a pullcart, if you want to take a shower after you are done you better live close, have a hotel room or like Bill Murray be fine with a pond.  If you want a beer afterwards you better have a well insulated cooler in your car to last 3-4 hours under the hot sun or know where the good bar is down the road!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 03:49:01 AM »
Paul,

I think you need more than one outstanding hole or unique feature, but then again that depends on the quality of other holes - maybe not quite there but still reasonably interesting.  

Tain is a course that falls into this category for me because of the 15th green.  The 5th hole and green complex is also pretty neat.

On the other hand, a course like Whittington heath can be worthwhile, without any truly outstanding stuff, I think, because it is so neat and interesting overall.  

Even if some of the members are crotchety old bastards...

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 04:54:41 AM »
I was doing a few other things but basically I wanted to see the 10th at Riviera and I would've traveled across the country just to do that.  ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 09:09:50 AM »
If you go out of your way to see a course-lets say a couple to a few hours travel.  What does it have to provide to be worth the effort?

I think I've gone through a cycle with this.  From not very demanding, to being a snob, and then back again.  If a course within a few hours travel has at least one outstanding hole or unique feature then it's worth it.

Paul,

YOU are a GEM.  There's nothing wrong with being a snob, but I'm frequently reminded of my Dad's comment anytime somebody complained about the conditions of our modest nine-holer back home:

"It's a better golf course than I am golfer."

There is much to be said for the Will Rodgers perspective.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jim_lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »
Since I am a rater, of course, the two things I need to know are 1. Was it designed by one of my favorite architects and 2. Will they comp my round.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 09:46:39 AM »
Doug--great points, esp in your second paragraph

God, the next time I see a big deal made about "bag drop-off service" I am gonna FREAK!!!!!!!!!!  

I will admit that a place to have a beer afterwards and/or some historical stuff like the pictures at Pinehurst are nice BUT NOT NECESSARY:  the quality of the course is what counts!!

The best "pure golf" experience that comes to my mind is The Dunes Club..gravel lot, Tiny clubhouse with a tiny pro shop and place to buy a beer -- and 9 great holes!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andy Doyle

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 10:18:55 AM »
And speaking of the freaking bag-drop service ......

I started driving straight to the parking lot to avoid this whole charade.  Now the attendants are getting into carts and racing to your car to pick up your bag before you even have a chance to sort through your old golf balls & make sure you have enough tees in your bag.  How about you guys let me get my shit together and carry my bag like a man?

I played last summer at Purgatory in Indianapolis, and the 2 attendants were young college girls.  How about being driven 40 yards in a cart by a young thing in short shorts to make you feel both old and lecherous?

Andy

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 11:31:30 AM »
ANdy -- I do the same as you for the same reason:  to make sure I got all the right stuff in my bag....I don't mind them providing it, but when they make a big deal out of it, yeesh!!!maybe we should really drive them nuts when they come out to pick you up and just refuse the ride!

isn't in the Confidential Guide where at one of the Devil's courses they pick you up in the lot in a LIMO!!?

and I played Purgatory the year it opened but did  not have the level of service you experienced.....I just watched Animal House the other, so I think it''s probably time for a Road Trip to  Purgatory this year ;)

"Road Trip to Purgatory":  that sounds like it should be the title to SOMETHING...at least an X-rated movie, at a minimum.... :D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:53:47 PM »
Paul T:

To answer your question -- I generally ask through my extensive network of contacts what is happening within their part of the country or globe. This gives me some real insight on separating out all the hype / buzz that oten times doesn't pan out.

My time -- like everyone elses -- is valuable and I try to really get some insights and background before leaviny my wife and family. I don't go to places on hunches -- not anymore.

I've been know to make special trips whenever necessary because if a course is thaaaaaaat good I will go pronto.

Generally, the people who I reach out to for comments have a broad understanding of golf course design and are not into the groupie mentality that some here on GCA not only adhere to but worship on a constant basis.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 01:33:33 PM »
If I got an invitation to play PV and Merion, or Shinny and NGLA a week out, I would do everything I could to make it work.  For ANGC if I got a call for a game tomorrow, ditto.

Yesterday, I drove a just past an hour (64 miles each way) to play a course I like a lot.  That is out of my system now and I doubt that I'll go back for six months.

When I am at home, the top-end of my normal range is typically 30 minutes for a single round (and a half-day).  To go 200 - 300 miles, I like to get in at least four or five courses in a three day-two night trip.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »
Paul:

I really had a good time playing Purgatory - I like that course a lot.  They are building a huge new clubhouse, so they will likely be "at that level of service" soon.  When I was there last June they still had a gravel parking lot and the small, plain clubhouse - I kind of liked that.  Definitely worth playing again.

Andy

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 07:15:10 PM »
Andy -- when I said "that level of service" I meant the young ladies you had for attendants!! ;)

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 07:41:55 PM »
 8)

Demanding.. time & experience yes, lots in the abstract..  but for an adventure with friends, not overly demanding.. since they're the focus, not the golf course.

Since, I'm not trying to put more namedropping opportunity "notches" on my belt, unless the travel fits a larger purpose, it likely ain't gonna happen. Of course, when it takes an hour to get cross town, two hours isn't a big deal..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back