News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Oregon to Montana
« on: November 08, 2004, 07:39:35 PM »
I plan on playing Bandon in early August, then go to Bend, Oregon and play Sunrise in Crosswater.

Are there any courses worthwhile playing between Bend and Missoula, Montana, my next stop, or should I fly it, it is about a 10 hour drive?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt_Ward

Re:Oregon to Montana
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 07:46:49 PM »
Cary:

Drive it if time permits ...

Depending upon your exact travel route let me suggest a few ...

Canyon Lakes in Kennewick, WA is a good layout although I wish it were not as overwatered as it is.

You should also keep in mind Indian Canyon in Spokane. Old time Chandler Egan design that has held both the Men's and Ladie's USGA Pub Links event.

There is really nothing of quality in central Idaho although I played Sun Valley GC a few years back and thought is was nothing more than pedestrian.

If you head through Idaho you need to keep Black Rock in mind because it's a well done layout by Jim Engh. Not far from Black Rock is the up and coming Resort called Circle Raven. I did not play the course when I played at Black Rock but I did tour the grounds and it's also a good overall effort.

Cary -- be advised there are few "must" in the "neck of the woods" you will be visiting -- at least by the way I define "must" plays.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:02:44 PM »
Cary, I'd be happy to show you around some good bars when you get to Missoula!  :)

LOCK HIM UP!!!

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 08:05:25 PM »
Cary - Elkhorn GC in Sun Valley recently came under the Troon fold, and Phelps has just completed a 2 year pricey $6mm renovation/restoration. Some of what I saw last summer looked promising.

Given your route, you should bring (or buy) a flyrod. If Elkhorn disappoints, you can hope for a PMD hatch on Silver Creek, one of the nicest spots in all of the world.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 08:13:28 PM »
Craig:

I think I read somewhere that there is an upscale course under construction in Missoula? Any info on that?

Otherwise, the bars sound like a good idea. I'll have my wife in toe, so nothing with a pole ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 08:38:20 PM »
Cary,

If you feel like driving (quite) a bit north to Seattle, let me know ahead of time and we'll play at Aldarra, considered (on this site anyway) one of Fazio's better efforts, and I think very much worth the detour.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 09:43:56 PM »
Cary, I second the statement in reply #3.  time would be better spent probably fishing.  I have heard some good things about the University of Idaho's course on the Palouse.  Very fun, hilly with some fun shots.  I think if you went this way,thru Boise and up thru the Sawtooths, Elkhorn would be interesting enough to play.  Circling Raven which Matt wrote about is a  good course in wonderful scenery.  It all depends on how much you want to drive.  If you can arrange it,the Stock Farm in Hamilton Mt. looks like a course with unbelievable potential.  Otherwise take the long way and go thru Sun Valley and enjoy one of the most beautifull drives in America.  The courses, and the scenery would be well worth it.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 11:21:54 PM »
The Stock Farm in Hamilton, Montana isn't too bad. They have a serious moss problem on the greens which is a bit of a shame considering the course is less than 4 years old...The new course in the Missoula area is Canyon River in East Missoula...Right along side the Interstate. It should be ready in late 2005 or 2006.

As I have said before, if I were playing my way across Idaho I'd hit Circling Raven, and The Links in Post Falls....Here in Missoula, Phantom Links and Larchmont aren't bad.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

peter_p

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 02:22:42 AM »
Flying from Portland to Missoula (Bend flies to Portland) is about $300 per person with a stop in Seattle. I'd drive and stayover near Spokane and echo Matt Ward's choices on courses, Indian Canyon or Circling Raven. Bend to central Idaho is a too long, too hot, lonely two lane summer drive.

Let me know if you want to hook up in Oregon or how I can help with in-Oregon travel.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 08:58:30 AM »
Cary, While not within your request route, Eagle Point (Rees) and Running Y Ranch(Palmer) are possible, given thier proximity and quality. Eagle Point came highly reccomended and I regret not getting there. Running Y Ranch is just above Klamath Falls and IMO was prettier than Tahoe, and has reasonable real estate prices. If your still looking to get out of hurricane alley.

Ashland Oregon is a real treat, hosting the Shakespere Festival and many fine dining alternatives. Reminiscent of Carmel, Ca. at, at least, 50% off.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 09:05:53 AM »
Head north out of Bend on Hwy. 26 (?) to Hood River and then travel up the Columbia on the Interstate. It's a lovely drive. If it's not too hot, there's some golf in the Tri-city area (Kenniwick,Pasco,Richland) just over the river in Washington. I think the route north is 368 to Ritzville. Its all 4 lane, divided highway now days. In Ritzville you bang a right on Interstate 90 and head east. Spokane is your first stop, followed by the Idhao Panhandle (Cour D'Alene area). Then it's over the mountains and downhill (actually uphill, but it feels like it's downhill!) along the Clark Fork River to Missoula.

An earlier poster (Matt Ward?) said he didn't consider there to be too many "must play" courses along the route, and that is just fine by me. The less people know about the golf in this area the more there is for me to play.  ;D  

LOCK HIM UP!!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 10:31:01 AM »
Craig:

Thanks for your response. I am going to do exactly as you have suggested.

Where so you live?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 10:55:47 AM »
Cary, I'm in Missoula. I work at Larchmont...an 18 hole muni. When you get closer to your travel date let me know, maybe I can join you for some golf in the Cour d"Alene area....a former Larchmont employee is now the Superintendent at Blackrock...so it might be possible for me to get us a tee time there...who knows????
LOCK HIM UP!!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 11:15:30 AM »
Craig:

I played Blackrock this past summer. Wonderful course and would love to do it again. I'll be in touch

Cary

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 12:37:24 PM »
While tracing the steps of Lewis & Clark.....  After Bend. You travel to Walla Walla CC.  Spokane CC is a 16 very good holes.

Down to McCall ID to play Whitetail.  An Andy North in a lovely setting. Two new courses (RT Jones II is at Tamarack) are being built and will have at least nine holes complete next summer. Then up to Highway 12 and across to Missoula.  That is truly beautiful country.  

Enjoy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back