News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Stovall/Wicker is posted
« on: August 19, 2004, 09:13:20 AM »
Do certain courses attract certain type Green Keepers?

For instance, I wonder if courses heavy with architectural features serve as natural magnets for Green Keepers who are mad keen on architecture/history of the game? I know this: Raynor/Macdonald courses seem to possess an unbelievably high percentage of top flight Green Keepers. Davis at Shoreacres, Rewinski at Westhampton, Spear and his army at Piping Rock, Yonce at Yeamans, the perfection of rawness at Fishers by Beck, of course Salinetti and his crew at NGLA, the new man at Saint Louis CC is doing wonders by all accounts - the list goes on and on. Only Yale  :-\ stands out among the Raynor courses as having less than an illustrious green keeping history but again, the new man has made great strides in his first year so perhaps things are turning there too.

In keeping with the above, two of the finest (and nicest) Green Keepers can be found at Raynor's Lookout Mountain and Silva's  Black Creek (with its huge dose of Raynor features). Mark Stovall and Scott Wicker take great delight in being at courses with such bold playing features (you try maintaining a full Biarritz green!) and do all they can day-in, day-out to provide the golfer with the fastest, firmest playing conditions possible. They embrace maintaining quirky features like an 14,000 square foot plus punchbowl  :o at Black Creek or restoring the Sahara bunker on the blind approach to the Alps 11th green at Lookout. What level of blandness would golf architecture devolve down into without guys like this? It makes you wonder.

Add in the legend David Stone at The Honors Course and the concentration of green keeping talent in the greater Chattanooga area is what one would normally only associate with the major metro areas of Chicago/Phillie/Boston/NYC. Each of the three guys seems to push the other to higher and better things, somewhat I suppose like drafting in the Tour de France.

Many more of the Feature Interviews are going to be with Green Keepers - hope you enjoy this one and feel free to ask these guys any questions you wish re: maintaining such courses/unique features.

Cheers,

Mike Hendren

Re:Feature Interview with Stovall/Wicker is posted
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 09:27:20 AM »
Ran,

Kudos.

Among the many privileges I've had over the past few years since finding this site have been playing golf with these two gentlemen at their respective courses.  Mark and Scott are indeed among the nicest guys I've encountered and exhibit a keen understanding of their profession and an obvious passion for the game of golf.   It is gratifying to visit a greens-keepers shop and see shelves lined with classical golf architecture books.

Get it?  These guys do it!

Thank you.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 09:50:14 AM »
I know this: Raynor/Macdonald courses seem to possess an unbelievably high percentage of top flight Green Keepers.

Ran, you are correct sir.  I was lucky enough to meet a few of these Raynor Supers at Wunumetonomy SRS last summer. I'm adding Ted Ellis to your list of super Supers as well.  They can all play the game well too.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:04:49 AM »
Ran,

Excellent interviews.

I think interviewing more Greenkeepers is a wonderful idea. These guys (and gals) are the unsung heroes of golf architecture in those cases where course conditions compliment the golf course design.

I nominate Karl Olsen for the next question/answer with a Greenkeeper. You can track him down at Tucson CC these days.

Just a thought  :)  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:05:41 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 10:06:42 AM »
Dave Wilber, too, would be an excellent interview.
jeffmingay.com

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 11:26:04 AM »
I can't wait to see Black Creek at the Mid-Am next year.

I'm going to vote for having our Committee tournament at Lookout Mountain when we're there.

david h. carroll

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:34:55 AM »
The story of Black Rock (Hingham, MA) and its super, Chuck Welch would fit right along with this interview...a wonderful tale of friendship with Silva and conquering some amazing hurdles--from the Big Dig to serious rock issues.  Great stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back