News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

pdrake

Appleby Hot!
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:29:03 PM »
Just saw and read the story on Stuart Appleby.......he posted a 68, but had to take a 72 because he picked some stuff out a bunker and grounded his club in the same bunker.  His 68 went to 72 in a second...........he complained that Whistling Straits was the only course in the world where spectators were allowed to walk in playable bunkers.  I did see some overhead shots on Friday of spectators walking in bunkers just off the fairway.  There was no marshall or anyone there to prohibit it.  I don't feel sorry for Stuart, he was told all bunkers were hazards.  His ball ending up in a footprint was sad to see though........ala that playoff at Doral last year.

Travis Ripley

Re:Appleby Hot!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 09:37:05 PM »
Just saw and read the story on Stuart Appleby.......he posted a 68, but had to take a 72 because he picked some stuff out a bunker and grounded his club in the same bunker.  His 68 went to 72 in a second...........he complained that Whistling Straits was the only course in the world where spectators were allowed to walk in playable bunkers.  I did see some overhead shots on Friday of spectators walking in bunkers just off the fairway.  There was no marshall or anyone there to prohibit it.  I don't feel sorry for Stuart, he was told all bunkers were hazards.  His ball ending up in a footprint was sad to see though........ala that playoff at Doral last year.

i, too, saw spectators standing in bunkers--that seemed pretty much in play (tempted, but i won't make a Darren Clarke shank joke--or stranger, the story from Friday where he drove at teh wrong TV tower straight out of play--here).  haven't heard about Appleby, though.  

Travis Ripley

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 09:42:22 PM »
http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/pgachampionship/story/7577688

_ Stuart Appleby thought he shot 68 and was still in the mix when he walked off the 18th green, but then had to take a four-shot penalty on the par-5 16th. Hitting into a bunker beyond the ropes, where the gallery had been walking, he removed some twigs and leaves (two-shot penalty) and then grounded his club (two-shot penalty).

The PGA of America said earlier in the week all bunkers would be treated as hazards.

"You talk about saving shots in a round of golf," he said. "I basically could have saved four strokes by reading a piece of paper inside the locker room."

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 08:16:43 AM »
Obviously, Appleby should have read the notice to the players in the locker room, and he admitted as much in his comments yesterday.  In his defense, though, it is a really, really bizarre situation that may be unprecedented in championship golf for spectators to be routinely walking through hazards!  Matted down grass on crosswalks or beside fairways is one thing, but thousands of footprints in a bunker is too weird.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 11:47:56 AM »
I have yet to see a spectator leave a foot-print in the fairway.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Doug Siebert

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 12:42:59 AM »
How is that different from us regular joes playing from deer footprints (or kangaroos or haggis or whatever)  Pros are constantly getting benefit from spectators (trampled rough, deflecting balls from greater disaster, free drops from stands, finding lost balls, moving boulders, etc.) so its only fair that they have something negative come from the fans once in a while.

It would be interesting to see a tournament where they prepared the bunkers deliberately to be as uneven as possible, instead of smooth pristine sand.  Sort of like the turn of the century Prestwick pictures that were posted here earlier this year.  Or at least use the special Oakmont bunker rakes on them.  The only way bunkers are a hazard for pros these days is when they get on a downslope or have to stand outside it with a really awkward stance, and even then they usually still have a chance to get up and down if they make a good play.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back