News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Walking vs. Riding: Not a Matter of Personal Preference.
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2004, 11:30:38 AM »
"Caddy programs would fail instantly, if private clubs didn't have their rules."

Well, then, thank God those private clubs do have their rules!

Mike_Golden

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »
Huckster,

No offense, but if you think Pasa is a tough walk you need to exercise a little more-what would you do on Bethpage Black in August when it's 90 degrees, 90% humidity, and you get to the 15th tee and look straight uphill at the green, then realize you need to walk uphill from there to the 16th tee.  I walked Pasa last week and could have gone at least another 9 after finishing.  And I'm a lot older than you  :)

As far as this topic, I could care less about paying the same greens fee whether I ride or walk as long as I can walk.  The $20 means nothing relative to the enjoyment I get out of walking 18 holes.  Except in the desert in the summer when it's 110 degrees in the shade, of course ;D

DMoriarty

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2004, 05:29:32 PM »
David:

Yes, I did a more strongly worded post, left it up for a grand total of about 5 minutes, thought better of it, and deleted it, because it really wasn't what I cared to say, after giving the matter proper thought.  

Five minutes?  If you say so.  I recall viewing it long after the 5 minutes was up, but perhaps my recollection is mistaken.  You made your last change almost 45 minutes after the initial post, so you can perhaps understand why my post assumes much longer than 5 minutes.    

Rest assured it was not insulting or harmful to you in any way.  
Tom I read the post (I dont know which version) before you pulled it and I beg to differ.  But who knows now?

I also checked to see if you were on-line before I deleted it... The thinking being that if you were there to see it, I'd leave it up and take my medicine, and if you were not - which you weren't, then no harm would be done by taking it down.  
A great policy in a private conversation, but a little silly in a public discussion group, dont you think?   Or are harsh words and/or insults okay in your book, so long as they are out of earshot of the other party?

Bottom line for me is that this business of deleting subtantive comments after the fact is unjustifyable and extremely weak.  We are not talking about grammer and spelling here.  If it isnt appropriate to post in the first place, then don't.   Throwing things out there for some to see then pulling them before (or after) a response is below the belt and yellow-belly.  

Sorry to take this out on you Tom . . . your posts arent the only ones that have a habit of disappearing when the discussion gets heated.  

That being said, I am pretty darn familiar with the area here, and I just don't see many sites suitable for walkable golf that are available for development PERIOD.  So we get what we get.
Forgive me if I question your level of expertise in assessing the availability of assessing suitable sites across the greater bay area.  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 05:29:56 PM by DMoriarty »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2004, 05:57:31 PM »
Take that!  And that!  This is a tough crowd!   ::)

DMoriarty

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »
Take that!  And that!  This is a tough crowd!   ::)

He has that hairshirt on anyway, so whipping him a little shouldnt hurt that much . . . I am probably just taking my golf frustrations out on tom.  If anyone thought I was bad before, you should see me now . . .

THuckaby2

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2004, 06:57:47 PM »
David:

No hassles.  Hell I agree, putting things up and then taking them down is weak.  But to me, it's better than leaving up things one really doesn't mean, and says out of first frustrated/angry response.  I'm sure we've all said things we later regret.  This forum gives one a chance to take those back before too much harm is done.  But still, if it's up at all, people can see it, and that is weak.

But I've never claimed to be particularly strong!  And yes, I suppose I am not the best assessor of available golf course land here, but I believe I do know the area a bit, do get around, and do keep very much on top of golf courses being built.  It kinda goes with the territory as an NCGA rater.  But in any case, you are forgiven for doubting me.   ;)

So the hairshirt remains, for the rest of today, anyway.  Can I remove it tomorrow?

Mike:  don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Pasa is as tough a walk as Bethpage in heat or humidity, or other very tough walks. In an email to me, a great man rated it as a 6 on the Doak scale of tough walks, and I'd agree with that.   My sole and only reason to bring it up is to say that in terms of overall enjoyment, it's hilly enough that it makes sense to me to take a cart there some times.  I just no longer see the logic of demanding to walk there, as if taking a cart there somehow takes away from the enjoyment.  For me, the lack of fatigue over-rides the loss of purity.  But not all the time.  I'll still walk there plenty... I just can now truly see the worth of riding.  

And again, I absolutely understand how people do see it differently.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back