News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Greenside OB (#18 at Royal Troon)
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:48:28 PM »
Darren Clarke hit one a little strong on #18 today, and it bounded over the green into the gravel walkway fronting the clubhouse, which is OB. Greg Norman hit it there in the '89 playoff, and essentially walked in without holing out. Seems excessively penal to me.

I wish that area could be through the green (obviously they would have to replace the gravel path with something else) like at Royal Lytham, where I remember Gary Player playing a backhanded putter from the shadow of the clubhouse to the green when he won there ('74?).

What are some other holes with OB so close to the green, and is this really a desirable feature? I guess in some places it is unavoidable, but I can't think of any really great holes with greenside OB.

Evan Fleisher

Re:Greenside OB (#18 at Royal Troon)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »
Their neighbor...Prestwick!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 02:58:49 PM »
What are some other holes with OB so close to the green, and is this really a desirable feature? I guess in some places it is unavoidable, but I can't think of any really great holes with greenside OB.

The Old Course ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 03:07:39 PM »
2 at Talking Stick North?

CHrisB

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »
Mike,
Fortunately at the Old Course, the banks around the green are steep enough that it is very hard to hit one OB there, unless it is such a pull that it runs up the ramp over by the 1st tee.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 04:25:27 PM »
Troon's OB on 18 isn't nearly as fun as Lytham's.  An interesting solution is to leave it in play as a Road hazard a la the 17th at TOC.   JMHO.

JWK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back