News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

A Very Interesting Statistic
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:20:15 AM »
Did anyone know that over the past 10 years, the best final round scoring average at the US Open title has belonged to Retief Goosen at 70.1

Every other player, including the likes of Tiger, Ernie, Phil, et.al. have all averaged over 72. That alone should suggest that the best player (in a final round of the Open) was clearly identified.

I'm of the school of thought that this does go, to some degree, to mitigation of the severity of Shinny's condtition issues.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 08:47:15 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

TEPaul

Re:A Very Interesting Statistic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:32:41 AM »
Steve:

That's interesting and that stat doesn't surprise me. I was thinking this morning of what happened to various players on Sunday given the remarkably higher average score in the final round (79). I don't know whether the USGA identified the best players on Sunday---Mickelson and Goosen---or just got lucky, or maybe some combination of both.

But it occurs to me that two players very much in contention starting the day and  all day long, and expected to be---Mickelson (71) and Goosen (71) just might've saved the day for the Open and the USGA. If either or particularly both of them had come in with rounds around 79 or 80 (the day's scoring average) it would've been a sad day in Far Hills.

The plight of the other player expected to be in contention--Els (80) may be a lot more foreboding than we now realize!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:42:22 AM »
I'm wondering where that statistic came from.

According to pgatour.com, Goosen has made only four cuts at the U.S. Open: 2000 at Pebble Beach (final round: 71), 2001 at Southern Hills (final round: 71), 2003 at Olympia Fields (final round: 70), and 2004 at Shinnecock Hills (final round: 71).

Four good final rounds, I'll grant you that!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 08:56:16 AM »
What about average score on number 7 Sunday? I heard 3.6

Why is point 6 over par, enough to rile the emotions of so many?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:13:32 AM »
The stat came from a fellow whose job it is to compile such statistics for the likes of ESPN, Golf World, and the USGA.

While it certainly is like all other statistics, subject to qualitative review (i.e. other influencing variables and set specifications)...it does stand out as particularly interesting.

It is also used by bookmakers to help set betting lines. I'm told Goosen was a heavier-than-normal favorite over the field on Saturday night, and shorter-odds pick on Friday night due to his final round status.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:14:42 AM »
Why is point 6 over par, enough to rile the emotions of so many?

I don't think it was the .6 that riled the emotions. I think it was the 2.something of the first couple of groups that riled people. Once they started the "syringing," the hole settled down to merely satanically difficult.

For the record: 7 was the 4th-hardest hole on Sunday (3.652), behind No. 10 (5.030), No. 6 (4.758), and No. 8 (4.667).

Get your fill of the numbers at http://www.usopen.com/scores/
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »
I read Bo Van Pelt 6-putted the 6th hole for an 8? Is this true? Obviously it is, but did anyone see this on highlights or anything. How did this occur?

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 09:57:44 AM »
How did this occur?

In the spirit of Seve Ballesteros, he miss, he miss, he miss, he miss, he miss, he make.

Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;D

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 10:34:24 AM »
Ok. It's official. I have no life. I just did the skins for the final round and here are the results.

There were three skins made on Sunday. (per my crude handwritten calculations)

Drum roll please;

#6- Spencer Levin 3

#10- Steve Flesch 3

#16- Jay Hass 3

I almost stoped at the top twenty but I went on as it became increasingly easier.

Besides the obvious amazement of the low am getting one of them, I believe every hole was at least birdied and multiple times. There might have been five or six 2's on #7.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 10:50:44 AM »
Adam - Please check your skins on 16. I believe the "I need a beer, now" Mr. Calcavecchia ran one up on 16 and made eagle. Was this on Saturday, I am sure he made one.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 11:37:21 AM »
I wouldn't say he is rock solid.  In the 2002 Masters, he was tied with Tiger for the lead going into the last round.  Paired with Tiger in the last group, he shot 74 and was never a threat.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 12:17:16 PM »
Tony, I stand corrected. Calc did indeed score a 3 on 16 Sunday.  So, only twp skins won. Even more amazing that the kid got one!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back