News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Cavendish-Mackenzie Hidden Gem
« on: May 26, 2004, 07:47:45 PM »
In beautiful Derbyshire.  Unfortunately no pics of the exciting 9-11 stretch.  Only walked a few holes there (in the pouring rain), so I'm not sure which holes are shown.  Maybe that is the 11th in the 3rd pic?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 07:51:13 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

Re:Cavendish-Mackenzie Hidden Gem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 10:51:30 PM »
Amazing - there's a lot of Pasatiempo and Cypress Point in those photos!  What's it look like today, Paul?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:17:29 AM »
Paul:

That third picture is indeed the eleventh green.  A couple of the others I didn't recognize, though -- the bunkers did not look as good in 1994 when Bruce Hepner and I went there.

A cool course, relegated to "hidden gem" status because it is 5800 yards long.

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 08:18:49 AM »
Paul
About what date would you place these pictures...doesn't the bunkering look a little subdued for MacKenzie?

Andy Levett

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 08:21:19 AM »
Many thanks for posting these pictures. Did the aristocratic conections earn it a spread in Golf Illustrated? I aim to visit all MacK's courses in the north of England eventually but I bet when I get to Cavendish the  greens  will be  a lot smaller, the area where the pin is on the third pic will be fairway etc. Hope I'm wrong.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 10:08:49 AM »
Paul, That was very cool. The last few really had me up in my seat here wishing I was playing there as we speak.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 10:18:53 AM »
Pleased everyone likes them.  Check out Tom's book on Mackenzie for analysis of the best hole, the 10th.  

Some of those greens hint at a lot of contour!

Tom M

It's from a Browning book so I'm guessing from the 40s.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 01:33:01 PM »
Paul,

E-mail me with your US postal address and I'll send you the current course planner (I have two).  Top picture is, I think, par-3 17th (160 yards).  Second is, I suspect, 312-yard par-4 7th, but there's something that doesn't quite look as it does today and I haven't put my finger on it.  The 11th doesn't quite look like that today: there's only one bunker (on the left of the green), and the stream is now surrounded by deep and deadly rough.  4th picture is 122-yard par-3 4th, played steeply downhill from 3 o'clock in the picture.  Last picture is probably 412-tard par-4 6th taken from behind the green.

Much work has been put in at Cavendish in recent years and the greens are particularly mischievous.  They pride themselves on saying that little has been changed since Mack's day and the former Secretary told me that several greens had been restored to Mack's designs in recent years (not least the wicked little 9th).  I agree that there is a certain affinity with Pasatiempo, but it is not its equal.  I do commend the course to all interested in golf design, for there are many fascinating holes.  The great thing is that it is little more than half an hour from Reddish Vale, another course that GCAers should visit if they are in the area.  One word of caution - you are in the hills and lenghty periods of rain can make both courses rather soggy when all the fun goes out of the greens.

Anyone interested in Cavendish at rather greater detail is welcome to E-mail me and I'll send them a hole-by-hole account.  I know it well.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 06:08:37 PM »
I wish I had a decent set of pictures to post of Cavendish.  I think that many of you would simply purr at playing the course as it now is (perhaps 5 or more years on from Tom's visit).  I'll try to get some in free moments over the summer, but the weather can be a devil.....

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 04:07:20 AM »
I wonder if that's MacK putting in the second picture? It could be anybody but as well as the clothes and the shiny pate the stance to the ball is the same as other old pictures of MacKenzie on the green - eg P.74 of the Doak/Scott bio, at Cypress Point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back