News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:Is the original Eden still the best?
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2004, 04:36:13 PM »
Bill:

That certainly can be done, but the shot to get way over there is pretty much just as hard as firing it straight at the pin.  It's also gonna be a DAMN tough two-putt from way over there...

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 04:50:56 PM »
It sounds like a draw might the best iron shot into the Eden.  Is that possible?  

The biggest problem with wanting to work the ball like that today is the clubs I just bought - the Ping G2 irons.  They are sure easy to hit straight, but don't count on moving them left or right!

How many great holes do you think modern club design has hurt?  We are always concerned on this site about length, but maybe club designed straightness has hurt golf as well.

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 04:53:18 PM »
Interesting thought.  Hell I've never been able to "work the ball" much anyway, old clubs or new, so I'm gonna have to take your word for it though.

On THE EDEN, well... it depends where the pin is.  But yep, hard draw bouncing short and running on would work to a lot of pins.  Just don't hit it too hard!

TH

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004, 05:01:07 PM »
Bill;

What makes the hole is the extreme back to front slope. I can't emphasize enough how severe it is, you might have to play over 3 feet of break on a 6 foot putt! I doubt you could keep the ball on the green putting from the #7 side.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

CHrisB

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2004, 05:29:49 PM »
I played in a tournament there when the pin was about as about as far right as they will put it (behind the Strath). With a hard right-to-left wind, the play was definitely to bring it in from the right, and if it didn't get there, take the severe uphill putt from the right (7th) side. The putt from the right (7th) side wasn't too bad to the hole cut behind the Strath, but to positions left of that it would be a roller-coaster!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2004, 06:36:56 PM »
Well now I am even more excited about my trip to St Andrews in May - if that's possible!  I'm just hoping we'll get out on TOC twice.  The first time around I'm going to be too wound up to pay enough attention!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 06:37:18 PM by Bill_McBride »

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2004, 08:11:46 PM »
I think the tee shot on the Eden is the single shot I anticipate the most when playing TOC. Which says a lot for me - it's that good. Mind you, there's a pretty decent Eden on the New Course in St. Andrews as well - no. 13. It's a bit shorter, and obviously there's not the double green, but I'm quite a fan of it.

ChrisB (and Bill), with the pin behind Strath Bunker, I would almost always try to fade the ball toward the hole - the general lay of the green slopes to the right, toward the 7th hole, and if you can start your shot at Hill Bunker, you can just about get your ball to do a 180 and trickle back toward the hole. Mind you, it doesn't sound as though that was an option for you.

Cheers,
Darren

Keith Durrant

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2004, 09:46:42 PM »
I watched the world's best play through here in the 2000 Open. For those considering going over next year, sitting behind the 7th and 11th is one of the best viewing locations on TOC.

I still think i'd rather be long that short. The Eden estuary is not in play from what i remember.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2004, 11:06:02 PM »
Actually, Darren, my miss is typically a fade!  At #11 I'll just play for it.

gookin

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2004, 11:27:29 PM »
dear Huckaby,

Cornish and Graves failed to mention the 3rd at Fox Chapel.  It is an Eden worthy of mention. Playing at a slightly downhill  205 from the back, it is between a 4 and 5 iron for most.  Very severe back to front slope. Distance control is paramount. The location of the pin dictates the shape of your shot. When the greens are right you can almost be out of play on the green. The back bunker provides a more likely 5 than a 3.  It is similar to Camargo's Eden with a left to right shape and steeper bunker faces. I wish I could compare it to the original, but I have not been there.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2004, 12:18:07 AM »
I haven't read this whole thread, but the original is clearly the best one I've seen.  

Steve Smyers (where the hell is he anyway?) created a fun one at Blue Heron Pines East, with a really sloped green.

Nick_Ficorelli

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2004, 08:59:48 AM »
Until you have putted with a ball whizzing  by your nose ,toward the other pin on the green, you haven't truly experience Eden.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back