News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Adam_F_Collins

"Easter Eggs" in GCA
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:35:01 PM »
Anyone who's spent much time with computers will probably know about "Easter Eggs". They're little hidden things that you can find in websites and software that the creators of the work put in for those who manage to stumble on to them.

For instance, there might be a really long scroll-down on a web page that appears to have no content, but if you move your mouse around enough, you might discover an invisible area which acts as a button - it takes you to a page where there can be found a gallery of, say - missing cat posters.

Do golf architects create little things in strange places for golfers to discover?

Say... a nice, level little patch of fairway with a perfect view of the flag from some seemingly odd angle, way to one side of the fairway 150 yards out - that kind of thing. Do we know of any...odd little discoveries that architects have designed in?

Is this type of thread completely baked? Or half-baked?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:36:30 PM by Adam_Foster_Collins »

Joe Hancock

Re:"Easter Eggs" in GCA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »
Adam,

Big sore spot!

I used the same "Easter egg" analogy while we were building the Mines GC last year. Off to the side of one set of tees, in a sand dune setting, was this cool par three just laying there. I wanted to sneak a water line over to build a tee and a green, both out of sight from the tees but very easy to access. If you knew it was there, you played it. If not, you miss out on a great dunes hole.

My idea was shot down, or perhaps I didn't properly communicate it to the computer illiterates I had to work with!!!!!!

As Charlie Brown used to say, when Lucy snagged the ball out of the way:

AAAUUUGHHHH!!!!!!!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:59 PM »
Adam, Paul Daley will confirm I used the term just last week in one of the captions he asked me to do for his next book. It was in reference to a tee I missed the first time I played a particular hole. That to me seems the most likely instance. Good term.

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:04:31 PM »
I think that other examples of Easter Eggs would be places on a course where you can get an advance peek at another hole if you know where/when to look.  If you know, you look and see the hole location for a hole that you wouldn't otherwise see from the tee of the hole when you get there.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 10:51:56 PM »
Joe Hancock,

That sounds like a REALLY neat idea.

Wow, to find that on a course...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:57:47 PM »
One thing I'd always thought would be neat were hidden or out of the way tee boxes that give a different angle or method of play to the hole.

I think it'd be pretty cool if a course were to set up two completely different sets of tees for a couple of holes and then let the golfers choose which set to play that day, or see who "stumbled" upon them.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:53 PM »
Kyle,

Come to Grand Rapids this summer, and I'll show you where that hole is SUPPOSED to be! It would have been very, very cool. ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 11:10:23 PM »
Kyle, there are a couple of those at Pacific Dunes - way off line, way back.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 06:51:07 AM »
I'm told that at Highlands Links in Cape Breton, the par five 6th hole has a tee box WAY back (in the trees just beyond the fifth green) which calls for a 230ish carry to clear the finger of sea water and reach the fairway.

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 09:01:18 AM »
Kyle, there are a couple of those at Pacific Dunes - way off line, way back.

I was just going to post about the one on #1 and the little one down the cliff on #4.  Also the one on #17 at Bandon Dunes that makes it play as a par 3 over the canyon and the one on 6/7 on BD on the top of the knob short and right of the 6th green.

Couldn't the Sheep Ranch be called the ultimate Easter Egg?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back