News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Staebler

Finishing Stretch Sustained Over the Most Holes
« on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Saint Andrews 16-18 make a great finish to a great course.  Merion's 14-18 ditto.  Pine Valley's finish could be argued starts as early as the 13th.  What courses sustain a great finishing stretch over the most holes?

John Sessions

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
The entire back nine at Shinnecock Hills is flawless.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
John, I am not going to argue - that is as good as it gets for me too.

Bob Ellington

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Though not in Shinnecock's league, the entire back nine at the Cascades is the best stretch of golf from Pinehurst, NC to Pine Valley, NJ. I believe Tom Macwood has a similarly high opinion.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
The front 9 at Shinnecock Hill is pretty flawless too!  I like the finish at Shinnecock especially well since it ends with a great par 5, par 3 and then a wonderful finishing par 4.  Winged Foot West as set up for a major is really strong but all three finishing holes are brutal par 4's.  I like the variation at Shinnecock so much better.I think that Muirfield is also very strong and it too has great variety at the finish. The 17th is a teriffic par 5 that could be mentioned in the thread on cross bunkers (they are so well placed on this hole).  

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
I would not feel uncomfortable voting for the back nine at Harbour Town - especailly the way it builds to a finish.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Ted_Sturges

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
How about the last 9 holes at Yeamans Hall?  No weakness there.  

DBE

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
For those of you who voted for the back nine of Shinnecock Hills, explain to me how you play the 10th hole.  I've played there 25 times or more and saw probably 100 competitors play the hole during the 1986 and 1995 US Opens, and I haven't seen anyone break the code yet.  It's a crappy hole.Nothing compares with the finish at Merion.  You can either use 11 or 14 in.

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
The finish at Cascades is one the most unique 3-4-5-5-3, especially for match play. But I think I prefer the front even more, the way Flynn was able to fit the holes into the wild terrain is remarkable.Just to be different and to offer myself as a target of possible ridicule, the back nine at Muirfield Village.

Tom_Egan

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
As usual, I agree with David Eger.  I might also propose Merion for # 7 in, if we could leave out # 9.

DBE

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Tom,I have played the ninth from the back right tee just a few yards right of the eighth green and it is great for a left hole setting.  The left tee is great for a right setting.  I think that all of Merion is great and if they'd ever get their fairway lines corrected, it might be not just my favorite finish, but my favorite course in the world. Having said that, the 18th is often too severe given its length and demands of the second shot to a green that slopes away.  Most times I play there it takes me 30 minutes to decompress because of the way I've played 14 in.  

Tom_Egan

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
David --Thanks for the response.  It seems we are mutual fans of Merion.  Question:  What does the term "fairway lines" mean.  

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
No contest in my book. National GL from 14 to 18 is the most fun I can have playing golf. Quirky, unconventional, but an architectural essay in how to test resiliency and creativity.

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Envelope Please-And the winner is!!Pine Valley-from the tee shot on #1 to the hole out on #18!

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
David,On the ninth hole at Merion.How about the right tee for a right pin setting? How would you categorize the left tee and a left pin setting. A/ A little redan section with a reverse contour!? B/ an excellent sucker pin or C/ Impossible?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back