News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Muir of Ord and Strathpeffer.
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
For those who know these two courses, I am interested in finding out what people think about them. What are there strengths and weaknesses and would you play them often if you could and why, or why not?

David_Tepper

Re:Muir of Ord and Strathpeffer.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »
Jon -

I have only driven by these courses. I have not played them.

Strathpeffer is on a VERY hilly, very scenic property. The course is probably 100 years old.

Muir of Ord is on a much flatter piece of land.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in these 2 courses?

DT

David_Tepper

Gary Gruber

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »
Well these are 2 courses I never expected to be discussed on GCA. I was a member at Strathpeffer for 15 years and have played "The Muir" many times.

Strath
As previously stated , very hilly but good fun. I think the course is now a par 67 bus was a 65. The first has the biggest drop of any opening hole in Britain I believe a 300 yard four that easily driveable. I will not bore you with a hole by hole description but there is 7 par 3s , 4 in a row from 3 -6. 3 bunkers on the whole course and 2 on one hole.
I would give it a go its unlike any other course I have played

The Muir
Much flatter and slighty longer, there has been 3? new holes added about 10 years ago which heads up to the hills a bit. good long par 3 tenth? and some other challenging holes. The last is a tough approach to a raised green with OOB on the left.

Have fun.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
Gary,

thanks for the answer.

David,

I hope to be up in the area at the begining of Febuary and these are two courses I haven't played as yet.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
Gary:

When I came back from my year overseas to go back to work for Pete Dye, he asked how many courses I had seen.  I told him 172, and his response was "Well, I bet you didn't go to Muir of Ord."

I told him I had skipped it for Strathpeffer, but he was satisfied that he had seen one I hadn't.  I never have been to Muir of Ord.  Maybe if we discuss it enough people will start using its acronym.

MOO   :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »
Jon Wiggett -

I hope the weather is hospitable enough for you to play both of them.

If you have not played Fortrose & Rosemarkie before, I recommend it highly. It is not far from the other two.

DT
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:22:40 PM by David_Tepper »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:11 PM »
Pete Dye wrote in his book that his choice of name for Crooked Stick was Muir of Ord , as a tribute to the course .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back