News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

David Eger Interview
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
David, For a clubhouse, how many better rooms have you seen than the one with the fireplace, etc in the men's grill/lockerroom? I have always thought it was vital to have a fireplace in Florida in January.Are you really plus six? If so, why did I only give you one shot last time??

Clark

David Eger Interview
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Mr. Eger:Thank you for your comments regarding the 1st at Garden City Golf.  The aspect of driving the green certainly adds a great dimension to the hole; I had overlooked it since, the one time I played it, I popped up a 3W and was  left with a full PW!  It does make for a great opening hole, particularly in match play.

DBE

David Eger Interview
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
To:  Ran Gonna Be a DaddyYes, the cozy sitting area in the Medalist locker room with fireplace, bookcases, overstuffed leather chairs and sofas is almost enough to take your mind off all the balls you lost on the course....and when they turn on the gas logs---WOW!!!I'll take the locker room about 25 minutes south where they installed, after 70 years of humidity, air conditioning....but only to be used at night to keep the place from turning green!Last summer when we played, my handicap was plus one.  What's your beef?  You and your two brothers all beat me.  

Ran Morrissett

David Eger Interview
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
David,How would you compare CC of Charleston to Yeamans Hall? Is much original Raynor work still in evidence at CCC? If restored as well as Yeamans, how would CCC rate?In regards to The Medalist being judged too difficult, is that sypmtomatic of having too many gimps like Mr. L on the Committee?I am off to Oakland Hills in the first week of October - what's in store? Is it comparable to the West Course at Winged Foot ie length with really tough (but interesting) greens?You eluded in another post that Oakmont isn't a favourite. I reckon that course would be fantastic if 1. they restored all the bunkers2. they got rid of ALL the rough. The course would be tees, fairways, bunkers, and greens - and that's it.How good would that be?

DBE

David Eger Interview
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Yeamans Hall compared to CC of Charleston?YHC apparently was only changed by greenkeepers who reduced green sizes (dramatically) with mowing patterns and filled in some bunkers with grass.  Oh, and in 1989 Hurricane Hugo blew down a lot of trees (which no doubt helped relieve the suffocating look).  Until Tom Doak redid the greens and some of the greenside bunkering last year, I'm pretty certain that was the extent of any significant work done there. It is a charming place from the time you turn off of Rhett Road and drive down the dirt road through the course to the clubhouse area until you leave.  The course is fun, not great, but to know Raynor did something in SC and so much of his work is sill evident is special.  The land is more interesting than CCC because there is some movement, particularly on holes #'s 7-18.  YHC simply has more character than CCC and the atmosphere there is much more understated than CCC.CCC is a fun course, more open to the wind and has much more play than YHC.  It has undergone many changes.  After Hugo nearly destroyed everything there, the club did the right thing and hired John LaFoy to redo it.  He did a wonderful job, but some of the neat stuff you'd expect a Raynor course to have is missing.  The land is "pancake" flat, except for a ten foot elevation change of the last green.  The 11th hole is perhaps the most controversial short hole in the world.  Words cannot describe it.  You'll have to play it (and hopefully miss the green) to believe it.  The Green Committee Chairman tells me they are going to lower the green in 2000.  You'll enjoy the course.  It's a very nice second place to play in that city.Oakland Hills is a big course with greens that are very interesting.  Read up on what RTJ did for the 1951 Open.  Most of his work is still around--the green undulations, severe fairway bunkering making some drive areas exceedingly tight, etc.  I like it because most holes have character.  Holes that are strange:  #'s 7(a wierd pond to the right of the fairway), 15 (a bunker in the middle of the fairway, 16 (where do you hit your tee shot?) and 18 (when you're supposed to make four during the Open). The North Course, designed by RTJ, is a pretty nice alternative to play when ther South is packed.  The place is a factory.

Clark

David Eger Interview
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Mr. Eger,It appears you have played extensively across Florida. I once played Jupiter Hills and came away very disappointed. Other than the obvious holes around the turn, I thought G. Fazio did nothing of any distinction. Have you played there? Did I miss something? (I will say it is the best conditioned course I have ever seen).

DBE

David Eger Interview
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
To:  ClarkFor some reason lots of yankees, maybe it was because fans of William Clay Ford thought they were not going to be able to pay big $ for a Town Car, believed that Jupiter Hills was the end all in Martin County (just one county north of Palm Beach County where as we all know God put his south Florida waiting room at Seminole GC).  Yes, there are some elevation changes there.  The place is overrated.  In fact, I'd just as soon play the Village Course as the much acclaimed Hills.  Nice place, wealthy members, most are Seminole wannabees and will forever stay that way. Best ever golf story I've ever heard was that when Jupiter first opened a group of prominent Japanese businessmen wanted to see what this famous George Fazio designed course looked like so they dropped by unannounced.  The assistant pro radioed to the old man who was planting trees (just what a course needed--pine trees) somewhere on the front nine that they wanted to look around.  George said ok.  An hour or so later, the group returned to the pro shop wondering where the ninth hole was.  The assistant radioed to Fazio asking if he could show them where the ninth was.  Fazio responded "they found Pearl Harbor, didn't they?"  You're better off playing there once and moving on to John's Island West or the Medalist.

Ran Morrissett

David Eger Interview
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Two more:1. Did you ever play in the Northeast Amateur and/or what do you think of Wannamoisett?2. How much do you like Congressional post Rees Jones changes? How do you rate it as a US Open course?

DBE

David Eger Interview
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
1.  I played Wannamoisset at this past summer's Northeast Amateur for the first time.  I thought the course was good--not great.  I say that because over the years  several trees have encrouched into some fairways and the club added new tees on #'s 10 and 18.  The trees hide some bunkering and the tees require awkward, sweeping right to left shots.   The course does maintain its charm and the green complexes and bunkering are good.  The only true par 69 I've ever played.2.  Congressional was improved by Rees' redo.  Previously there were several par four holes that required long second shots to be played from downhill lies to elevated greens.  The condition of the course was never very good, either.  My only concern after the redo was that the greens were still lousy and all the bunkers were round and without any character.  Somehow after the '95 Senior Open Paul Latchaw got the greens right and a few of the greenside bunkers were improved by lowering the backsides so a ball played from them could at least stay on the green (#16).  I think that it is the only US Open type site in the mid Atlantic, but I'd rather play Five Farms, Chevy Chase or Burning Tree.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back