News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

on the way to Mountain Lake ....
« on: December 16, 2003, 10:59:36 AM »
from the Orlando airport, what other good golf courses are there that we must see?

??? ??? ???
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Brad Klein

Re:on the way to Mountain Lake ....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 11:10:33 AM »
The road to Mountain Lake, 45 miles south-southwest of Orlando Airport, takes you along Rte 27 south through Haines City, where Southern Dunes can be found, partially hidden by trashy strip mall fast food joints and a tacky housing development that intrudes on the golf course. Play it anyway; Southern Dunes is wonderful. It's a great example of Steve Smyers working wonders with a non-descript site.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 11:26:10 AM »
And once you'd done that and gone through the gates of Mountain Lake just stay in there--there's nothing else around Lake Wales worth coming out for. Go see the carrollon Bok Tower once you're in there and in the evening when the light dims steal as many citrus fruit off the trees as you want to and if anyone asks you what you're doing tell them I gave you permission. And as soon as you get home report to me about the alteration on the 9th green--where they fixed a horseshoe that was way too big and didn't drain well.

Worth noting;

First green is pretty cool, third green is definitely cool, the greenide bunker right on #6 is a great diagonal, the diagonal on the greenside bunker left #7 is even better as is the diagonal on greenside right bunker #8 although I think they should rework the approach contour into that green a little and maybe loose about fifteen steps of the front of that bunker. Pretty cool redan #11 with a massive right-side green "kicker". #12 green is the best on the course, see what you think of the entire fairway bunker arrangement on #13. And particularly analyze the radical punch-bowl green #15--which has some of the highest sides ever seen on a flat site. I think that green needs a very very board and low "poof" in the middle of the back of that green otherwise every shot back in there basically ends up in the same place.

And when you're done and the light dims steal a few more citrus fruit!

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 11:26:17 AM »
Southern Dunes, Highlands Reserve, and Mystic Dunes are worth seeing.  Ditto Reunion if you have access.  You might want to see the International at Champions Gate out of curiosity.

Enjoy.  A day at Mountain Lake is special indeed.

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 01:57:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me about Celebration? ???
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 02:20:50 PM »
Celebration is the community that Disney pursued to fulfill Walt's wishes for the "Educational and Prototypical Community of Tomorrow".  The EPCOT park isn't residential, as Walt intended.  The Celebration community is okay, but the master-planning is a bit over the top.  (Very strict rules.)  SMALL lots.

The golf course is okay.  Probably two steps better than the national average and one step up from the Orlando average.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 09:03:45 PM »
So John, Celebration isn't on your 'must-see' list?  Any of the other Disney courses you feel strongly about?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 09:57:44 AM »
Paul, Lake Nona is a good course right by the airport. I feel it belongs in the discusion of 3 best in Orlando.

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 10:37:16 AM »
Paul:

Celebration is by no means a must-see.  I like Disney's Osprey Ridge (Fazio) and Palm (Joe Lee).  Eagle Pines (Dye) is okay and Magnolia (Joe Lee, the tournament course) is a major letdown.  Lake Buena Vista (Joe Lee, LPGA venue) is the least of the bunch.

If you want my recommendation, go to Mystic Dunes, Southern Dunes, and Highlands Reserve.  The Legends at Orange Lake is pretty good, but the timeshare is overcrowding it and diminishing the site.  Ridgewood Lakes is to be avoided.  If you can get on, Reunion is pretty cool.

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 10:39:05 AM »
John Bernhardt:

In my opinion, Lake Nona is very overrated.  A nice housing community... a disappointing golf course.  If you are paying with your own money, North Shore across the street is a much better value.  Ceteris paribus, I even think it is a better golf course.  Much more interesting.  (Mike Dasher is 3 for 3 in Orlando.  His other three courses are around Atlanta.)

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 09:32:53 PM »
How about Grand Cypress?  Is it anywhere near the road to Mountain Lake? ??? ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 09:39:39 PM »
Paul, if you are going to play at Grand Cypress, please play the New Course, Jack's tribute to The Old Course.  It's fun.  The original North and South are vintage Nicklaus, all kinds of sharp edges and awkward shots, plus one of the worst par 5s in history, complete with lakeside volcano green.

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 09:47:41 PM »
Bill

Thanks but I suppose I'm just asking a question that I could look up on Mapquest but am too lazy to do right now.

Is Grand Cypress anywhere between the airport and Mountain Lake?

Joe Andriole

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 09:56:26 PM »
Yes it is geographically but not "on the way" via the best roadway.

Paul Richards

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 09:57:01 PM »
How far 'out of the way' then?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2003, 10:05:47 PM »
Paul, depending on the time of day, everything in the Orlando area is either conveniently on the way or hopelessly remote!  If Mountain Lake is north of Orlando, and I'm not sure this is the case, Grand Cypress would be in the opposite direction from the airport.  But off peak, probably not more than 60 minutes from Grand Cypress to north end of Orlando.  I-4, the main north south route, tends to be a parking lot at peak hours.

DTaylor18

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2003, 10:07:26 PM »
Paul, i don't think Grand Cypress is too far away, as it's less than 30 minutes from the airport.  Definitely try and get there and play the New Course.  It is a very fun course to play.  Not your typical Florida golf course, no housing and links.  My wife and I both loved it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:07:42 PM by Dan Taylor »

John_Conley

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2003, 09:02:37 AM »
My advice is the opposite.  Stay the heck away from the New and play the North/South.  Yes.  You'd take the Beeline to I-4, head toward Tampa, and then get off on 535.  As previously mentioned, your direct route to Mountain Lake would have you leaving the Greeneway south of the airport and picking up I-4 near Celebration.

Southern Dunes and the International course at Champions Gate are the two that are most "on the way".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back