News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Are there any contemporary template holes - should there be?
« on: September 25, 2024, 04:29:58 PM »
It seems that the template holes from CBM and others have survived for many years and are still being used in one form or another on new courses and renovations so what are today's templates and if there are none why not?

Cal Seifert

Re: Are there any contemporary template holes - should there be?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2024, 08:13:17 PM »
Island green par 3’s immediately come to mind.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2024, 09:15:29 PM »
The 4th green at Woodlands, and the questions asked by the tee shot have been replicated by Mike Clayton, most noticeably at The Lakes' 13th hole. Could be a modern day Australian template. Can also be built on relatively featureless ground and doen't need large acreage either.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2024, 09:34:36 PM »
C&C 7th at Trinity Forest. Here’s the Fried Egg write up.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:04:14 AM »
- Ive seen MANY Pete Dye Courses that have the 9th and 18th holes running down opposite banks of the same man-made pond.

Seems to be driven by creating the pond where the dirt removed is used elsewhere on-course to create interest.

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:21:16 AM »
There are a handful of old threads on this topic - here is the most recent / best one I came across.

What ARE the modern/unrecognized "templates"? (golfclubatlas.com)
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:34:00 PM »
The first one I thought of was mentioned in the thread Brian posted--the "lion's mouth" green (used quite a bit by Coore & Crenshaw).

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:08:02 PM »
The first one I thought of was mentioned in the thread Brian posted--the "lion's mouth" green (used quite a bit by Coore & Crenshaw).

That occurred to me too, but the Lion’s Mouth bunker is on the thirteenth hole of the Old Course at St Andrews
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:18:44 PM »

That occurred to me too, but the Lion’s Mouth bunker is on the thirteenth hole of the Old Course at St Andrews

Right, I'm just not sure it approached "template"-like status until modern times.

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:22:55 PM »

Right, I'm just not sure it approached "template"-like status until modern times.
Fair number of Raynor courses have a lion's mouth, don't they?  I do like the C&C versions, fwiw.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 05:20:42 PM »
I think perhaps the breath of knowledge of today's architects gives them a broader base to work from and the equipment to build what they envision.  When I say knowledge I mean the history available to them as well as what they have learned in so far as soil and grasses and how a golf ball will react to a feature on a golf course.  Their minds are also far more receptive as to how a golf hole should look and it will play. In other words, their world is much broader today and there is no need for a template to use as a base for the design of a hole. 

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:46:59 PM »
It seems like the “drivable” par 4 is a modern template in most ways. Or at least a modern concept - as the holes vary in design and hazards etc.

No doubt older courses feature the hole TODAY - but seems unlikely that was the intention at the time many of these courses were built.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:45:58 PM »
   Pete Dye courses often have a short (350ish) yard hole with a mound before a slightly doglegged green that can render the second shot blind - 12 at TPC, 5 (I think) at Long Cove, 14 at La Romana CC. I’m sure there are others.

Anthony_Nysse

Pete Dye courses often have a short (350ish) yard hole with a mound before a slightly doglegged green that can render the second shot blind - 12 at TPC, 5 (I think) at Long Cove, 14 at La Romana CC. I’m sure there are others.

The original #12 @ TPC, #5 at Long Cove, #5 @ Old Marsh, original #5 @ Ford Plantation, #12 @ Colleton River
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back