News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

Re:Best use of ONE tree
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 02:42:47 PM »
Ryan:

You might be right but I still don't like them.

Mike Benham

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 04:49:59 PM »
However, look at the picture you posted. The larger tree completely blocks the entry way to the green.

Might you not concede that the tree is a bit overgrown and could stand a bit of trimming? At least enough to provide one with a clear avenue of approach from the pseudo split fairway which it creates?

The angle of that photo is somewhat deceiving and that photo is from a while ago.  There always has been a fair amount of room down the right side for a clear shot at the green.

It would be interesting to see how the young guns of today play this hole, in the old days, you couldn't reach the tree but today these guys are probably there ... heck, Pieracci probably did reach it with his 5-wood when he was there a few week ago.

And Huck, the little tree isn't really in the game yet, it is substiture tree, growing every day watching it's big brother effect the golf shots of many Stanford folks, awaiting the day when it is put in the starting line-up.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 05:11:19 PM »
Ryan:

You might be right but I still don't like them.

Fair enough - I'm not professing to be right or wrong, just expressing my preference and seeing what others thing - clearly, a topic with respected opinions on both sides of the fence

I agree that in many cases it's a very bad thing to have a dumbly placed (or un-removed) tree, but in some cases, like the examples I cited, I think a single tree can be a great semi-hazard to really make you think.  Guarded doglegs (either the inside or outside corner) to me seem like the most common acceptable use, whereas the lone tree in the middle of the playing corridor seems a much more risky proposition, evidenced by the disagreement on the Stanford tree.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:14:05 PM by Ryan Simper »

JR Potts

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 05:14:20 PM »
Butler National has two trees that dramatically impact the play of two holes.  First, on hole #7, a 20 to 30 foot oak? sits right in the middle of the line of play for your second shot.  Since 7 is a par five, it can be argued that the tree does its job by requiring the player to either play a fade or a draw to set up his approach.  However,  a 20 to 30 foot oak? also sits in the middle of the 18th fairway.  Even without the tree, the 18th would be one of the toughest par 4s on the course.  A stroke of bad luck makes the hole near impossible due to the placement of the tree...at least when trying to make 3 or 4.

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
Isn't the one in the middle of the fairway of the 17th at Cypress Point a single, giant tree?  It seemed like a forest when I was in there, but I thought it was just one.  It plays a large role in the player's mind when choosing the route and club selection for their tee shot.

What do you people think of the one guarding the green of the 18th at Riviera?  Or did they take that one down?

Brian - isn't the one at Riv on the right side of the fairway?  I remember Jack hit it and made double in the first round of the 83 PGA - which he lost by one to Hal Sutton
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jesse Jones

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
The former lone tree at #5 at Casa De Campo..

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 06:15:33 PM »
I particularly like the big old oak at the corner of the dogleg on #6 (15 tournament) at Westchester CC.  It gives long hitters an option to go over and shorter hitters layup and shot shaping options. I'd like it if they cleared away some surrounding trees to showcase it a bit more.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 10:22:44 PM »
Paul-

I'm referring to the tall evergreen (I think that's what it was) that hung over the front-left portion of the 18th at Riviera, though I know the trees creep in from the right off the tee and can come into play along the right side if you come out of it on your approach.

I vaguely remember noticing that big evergreen's absence when watching this year's tournament.

John Kirk

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 10:48:38 PM »
More on #12 at Stanford...

Originally, the hole featured three oak trees.  The largest oak tree was positioned in the left half of the fairway, about 150 yards from the tee.  Either you drove over the first tree and tried to get to the left side of the two remaining oaks, or you took the risky route down the right side, near San Francisquito Creek.

Up until about 10 years ago, there were two large oaks guarding the center of the fairway.  One of them died, and was replaced by the little guy that's there now.

The big third oak fell down 40-50 years ago.  It was finally replaced in early 2003, restoring the original configuration of valley oaks in the 80 yard wide fairway.  There is a small plaque under the new oak which simply says "The Bill Kirk Tree".

JR Potts

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 11:40:15 PM »
Brian:

I think you are right.  I played Riviera about two months ago and I don't remember a tree on the left side.  I do remember having to hit a 10 yard fade around the trees on the right...but I don't recall ever being concerned about anything on the left.  That comment aside, I thought that 18 was one of the best par 4s I have ever played.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back