News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: What's the first haymaker that really lands for you at Pebble?
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
After my round my wife and I had lunch in the Tap Room with the guys I played with. Didn’t know them before hand, I was a single. After eating and a beer or two we walked the course out to the 8th fairway turned around and walked in on 17 and 18 as the sun was setting. The biggest disappointment was not being able to call my father to tell him about the round. He had passed away the year before which was why I went. He was only 68 and I didn’t want to regret never playing there. $2200 for two nights, round on Pebble and round on Spyglass. I still think it was a steal.

Rob-Great post. There are some things in life that you can’t put a price on.

Thanks Tim
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »
I loved Pebble Beach, every hole, the balance between the scoring holes and the difficult ones. You have to get thru 7 successfully with a low score and then the haymaker hits you on the 2nd shot into the 8th green. One of the hardest set of greens to fully understand the grain of the POA and how to deal with it. Try playing it with 30+mph and it will eat your lunch. Add a round at Cypress if you are able to get on, another at Spyglass and you can see why I went there for a week every year in Oct. We started at the Olympic Club, then Pasatempo and then on to Pebble. Great memories, wouldn't trade them for anything. As an aside, when I played Augusta from the member tees, without the fans lining both sides of the fairway, without the greens being glass like, I was let down just as some of the posters here were let down by Pebble Beach. However, Pine Valley NEVER LETS YOU DOWN, that is the greatest of all the great courses by far. It's been 13 years since I last picked up a club, but I remember every inch of Pebble and fond fond memories.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »
Ian,

The 8th green may be small, but it is essentially a reverse-Redan, so if you drill a 4-iron at the front of the putting surface, it feeds perfectly to the back right position.

A close homey made a deuce a few years back by doing just that . . . . he then went and bought of new set of Titleist blades - and gave me that set of Pings, that I still hit today.

V_Halyard

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
Number 4 for me. "Damn, there's the ocean. It's really happening."
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2021, 03:58:33 PM »
I loved everything about Pebble, and I didn’t think there was a weak hole on the course. But it was the second shot on the 6th hole where I thought “I have never seen anything like this in my life.”
For sure, the second shot on 6 (assuming you hit a good tee shot). I do appreciate the overrated/wouldn't be good without the ocean/lots of other places I'd rather play viewpoint, but there are some killer holes and shots out there. Second shot on 6 would be incredible even if the cliff fell off into a landfill instead of the Pacific Ocean.
Glad to see a lot of Pebble love. Agree with Dan and Joel, there are a few moments of "you can only experience this at Pebble". Approach at 6, #7, all of #8 do it for me.

I also love the view from 10 green to 18 green. 1.2 miles of coastline captures the grand scale of the place.

I know value is relative and it's only getting more expensive, but I'm glad I did it once and would love to go back.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »
Our family was in Carmel about 5 weeks ago; the Mrs. had never been to the Monterey Peninsula.  As nice as Monterey is, Carmel was just adored by my gals.

Off we went to tour 17 Mile Drive late in the afternoon after driving down to the Big Sur Campgrounds and the Bixby Bridge.  No one was around and the Mrs got to appreciate the entire experience that is Pebble.  The holes she saw just added to our day. The views of MPCC & Spanish Bay as were traversed 17 Mile Drive wowed even her.

Anyone that asks me " If you won the Lotto, where would you move?  My reply always is Monterey/Carmel/Pebble for 8 months a year, Bermuda for 3 and the other month is for vacation."

JMEvensky

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2021, 06:17:47 AM »

Anyone that asks me " If you won the Lotto, where would you move?  My reply always is Monterey/Carmel/Pebble for 8 months a year, Bermuda for 3 and the other month is for vacation."

Vacation from what?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2021, 06:43:23 AM »

Vacation from what?
HA good one.  Yeah 1 month of jail time, if it isn't Monterrey or Bermuda, but vacation? ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back