News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Reading through this thread, it seems the evolution of the ball has also killed traditional long irons - as well as less lofted persimmon drivers. I used to hit my beloved Ping Eye 1-iron off the tee often enough my father referred to it as my "chicken stick" - knowing what an impossibly conservative player I am.

Now it sits next to my desk at the office, sticking its tongue out at me - a daily reminder of my accelerating dotage and white tee infirmities. 

One of the Treehouse OG's has been kind enough to send me off a couple sleeves of marshmallow pellets from the Nixon Administration era, but the long term sustainability is like trying to get 16mm B&W film developed.

The long term solution for our noble persimmon companions - since golf balls that smile ruefully after a skulled wedge will soon be rarer than a Whig Party bumper sticker - will be relegating traditional drivers to ceremonial appearances and embracing 2 and 3 woods.

Seattle Boom Boom wore a hole in his Helen Hicks 3-wood for most of our youth and the longest amateur I ever saw was Frank Mazion (Jim Dent's doppelganger), who pounded his Powerbilt to several SF City Championships.

I started to play Lady Precepts after back rehab #2 and they served me well - but at this point, even a dimpled cream puff attached to a red balloon won't fly any better than a fat penguin off my favorite Orlimar Persimmon driver.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 06:27:41 PM by Gib Papazian »

Greg Hohman

Not ready to concede the gesture is commemorative/ceremonial only ;) , I walk with seven contemporary clubs and a persimmon that belonged to my grandfather.
newmonumentsgc.com

Peter Pallotta

Not ready to concede the gesture is commemorative/ceremonial only ;) , I walk with seven contemporary clubs and a persimmon that belonged to my grandfather.
Perfect.
Your grandfather's persimmon adds immeasurably to the conceit: without it there's nothing, with it there's soul and history *and* the lowest possible scores:
Modern driver. Persimmon 4 wood. Modern 4 hybrid, 6i, 8i, PW, SW, putter.
Walk and carry a Ping moonlite, with 2 straps, 3 titleist x and 1 card-and-pencil.
But *where*?

Pete_Pittock

Find some 1.62 balls and forget to post the round. I have a set of PGA persimmon woods and a mishmash of old irons and a mallet Spualding  putter from the 1940s. For a couple of years I did wield The King's Putter, most memorably at Cypress Point.

Greg Hohman

Peter, I don't follow your cliffhanger. (Thanks for soul, I was stuck on the unsatisfying word paranormal ??? .)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:47:04 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Gib_Papazian

Jim Sherma,

While I am on the subject of modern golf vexations, I find the fad of loud, screaming "hair band" music on the golf course to be an auditory offense - punishable by disqualification and relegation to the stocks outside the men's grill.

In your case, I shall make an exception . . . . . likely we have already met, both being tapers from another lifetime. A '77 Winterland bootleg and liquid refreshment would do wonders for my yip-a-dooz and frenetic swipe that passes for a golf swing.

I'll gladly go along with the new fad if my electric caddy includes a hookah for spliff . . . . .

Peter Pallotta

Peter, I don't follow your cliffhanger. (Thanks for soul, I was stuck on the unsatisfying word paranormal ??? .)
Greg, it was meant to ask: what specific golf course (and 'where', as in west coast or east, or the midwest) would you most like to shoot your best score while walking and carrying 8 clubs, including your grandfather's persimmon?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back