News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Too much bikini wax?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
The course looks thick today.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
I miss Gary McCord. :'(  Too many damn foreign accents for an American major. :P

As a non-American I am not at all offended by that remark. Why shouldn't an American tournament have a mainly US flavour.

Niall

I don't think it should matter whether it's an "American" Tournament or not.
The best announcers available and familiar with the event/venue should be used.
But to think those with a UK, Irish, South African or Australian aren't favored would be naive.
Ironically most of the ones doing the favoring don't know the difference between an Australian, English or Scottish accent.

It's a bit like the old golf instruction adage.
"Well he's got an accent so he must be right"

On an unrelated note-I miss Gary McCord as well.
One of the most knowledgeable out there.

Jeff

Absolutely agree about best man (or woman) for the job and all that but I do think each tournament should have it's own flavour and I think nationality plays a part in that. Nationalism is sometimes portrayed as a negative but I think having predominantly US  commentators helps give the tournament "a sense of place" as designers might say.

BTW, never heard Gary McCord but aware of his rep.

Niall

agreed re having local flavor
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 04:48:44 PM »
Pre cancel culture. An interesting bookmark in the history of media.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 05:01:01 PM »
As one who remembers the lurid blue-dyed ponds of the 70s and 80s at ANGC, are they now dyeing the water black or have they lined all of the ponds with the blackest liners available? Either way, it still ain’t natural!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 05:05:28 PM »
I don't think that blue is the natural color of water.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:07:44 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »
I don't think blue is the natural color of water.

I certainly make it a rule never to drink blue, or especially, yellow water.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 05:09:20 PM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 06:11:57 PM »
As one who remembers the lurid blue-dyed ponds of the 70s and 80s at ANGC, are they now dyeing the water black or have they lined all of the ponds with the blackest liners available? Either way, it still ain’t natural!
F.

Marty,

Apparently they are according to Tom B.

"The ponds are actually dyed black. No one was ever able to find a blue dye that didn't look ridiculous, so now black is the play."

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,69076.msg1657693.html#msg1657693

Tim Leahy

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »
I miss Gary McCord. :'(  Too many damn foreign accents for an American major. :P

As a non-American I am not at all offended by that remark. Why shouldn't an American tournament have a mainly US flavour.

Niall
A reasonable conclusion. If it was the British Open I wouldn't have a problem. Ben Wright or Peter Alliss these guys are not.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
Funny what a bit of moisture can do. Three scores in the 60's yesterday, 18 scores in the 60's today.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:02 AM »
I watched a bit late in the day yesterday and said to myself "Self, it appears the MOTM are re-grassing the greens after this weeks Invitational and consulted the Blue Blazers of Far Hills on green speed and moisture - the greens look like the annual defense of par event the blazers hold in June."

I'm thinking after holding the 2020 event in the fall, The MOTM didn't want the scores in 2021 to match 2020 - they got their wish. We all know these greens weren't designed for these speeds.  Frankly, raising the height of cut to slow the speeds down with the same moisture conditions would to bring in even more diabolical pinnable locations.

IMHO.   

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »
.  Frankly, raising the height of cut to slow the speeds down with the same moisture conditions would to bring in even more diabolical pinnable locations.

IMHO.   

This and make for healthier turf with optimal firmness
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

V. Kmetz

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »
1... Yes, #s 1, 5, 8, and 14 could have more "diabolical" pin locations, if paradoxically, those greens were slower... and 3, 10,11,12 could have more scary ones if they were even "faster"...

2.  Gary McCord's splash was fun 30-35 years ago, the sardonic black sheep-clown; but it was way old 20 years ago, and he brought nothing so special to the Masters coverage that I've ever noticed... When Venturi and Summerall faded off years back the CBS Tour telecast became too much about the banter centering on McCord; I think that and the improved NBC golf properties helped make Johnny Miller and that NBC team.  Peter Jacobsen and Roger Maltbie are much better Gary McCords, and just as far as I ever want the Gary McCord "character" to go.

3. I could give two hoots as to the national identity of the telecast; I want the best.  I personally like the internationally-tinged CBS telecast...Australians, South Africans, Brits, grizzled and salesman Americans.  The audio aesthetic of all of them is rich. I enjoyed Ben Wright, Bobby Clampett and Wesikopf in past days. Lanny Watkins, Peter Kostis were not, just like McCord, not ever valued.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tim Leahy

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »
The Masters app and Direct featured groups announcers are Bill Kratzert, Shane Bacon, Brian Crowell, and Colt Knost. All Americans for an American tournament and I will stick with them. All CBS employees by the way.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2021, 06:52:07 PM »
Slow greens. Happy now?

David_Tepper

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
Just 5 rounds in the 60's yesterday. Molinari and Mickelson were the only players to shoot in the 60's before the rain delay.

First timer Will Zalatoris is the only player to break par on all 3 rounds.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:37:12 AM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2021, 06:45:46 PM »
Make that all 4 rounds under par for young Will Z.

Niall C

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2021, 06:59:53 PM »
well, he's trying his best to make it exciting !

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »
Well done, Hideki.
Great example of the uselessness of caddies! Just get one of your mates to pitch up and lug your bag. Never more was ‘turn up, keep up and shut up’ more evident.
Oh, and also well done, Oor Boab! Scottish golf is back, baby!
F.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »
Well done, Hideki.
Great example of the uselessness of caddies! Just get one of your mates to pitch up and lug your bag. Never more was ‘turn up, keep up and shut up’ more evident.
Oh, and also well done, Oor Boab! Scottish golf is back, baby!
F.

Caddies and drummers.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »
Why did Gilfoyle shave? Time to go when a caddie makes it all about him.

Alex Miller

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
Is everyone here eating their words?  ::)

Lucky enough to be there on Thursday this year and yes they were looking spicy.

But I and I imagine the grounds crew weren't the least bit concerned. Forecast for Fri-Sun called for afternoon thunderstorms. They only got rain Saturday but that was more than enough. The greens played firm and fast for 3.5/4 days - this is what we always want!!!

And of course this is the last week that the course is open for the season. The consequences of pushing it to the edge, which it wasn't, are not a dire proposition for ANGC this week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back