News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Prairie Dunes; unless there's a USGA championship there in the future, it's hard to imagine getting back to central Kansas.

I mean, I once flew Sydney > LA > MSP > Witchita non-stop in order to get to Prairie Dunes, so I reckon it’s probably doable from Northern California!

Chris Clouser

This is more nostalgic than anything.  The course I played on in my youth, Yule Golf Course, in Alexandria, Indiana was tore up for development from what I understand.  I got go back about 15 years ago for a charity event.  I still remember every detail of that place after playing it about 1000 times.

Updated.  I decided to do a satellite image of the location to see what was there now.  I found out it still exists.  They reopened the course I guess.  A little bit of my childhood still exists.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:05:44 AM by Chris Clouser »

Adam Lawrence

There are probably quite a lot; it is the nature of what I do. I doubt I will get back to the Karnataka Golf Association course in Bangalore, India, or to Laguna Phuket in Thailand. Then there are others that will take effort, but I hope I will achieve -- Lofoten Links in Norway is at the top of that list.

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Simon Holt

Still being fairly young (40??!!) I hope to get back to anywhere that I would really like to see again. 

However, I probably won't ever see Ocean Dunes on King Island again.  I thought there were a handful of unique holes but the weather on the front 9 was proper Roaring 40s wind and rain, so I didn't take in as much as I'd like.

Highland Links is another due to location.  I'm very happy I made a last minute decision to head up there - top 5 walk in golf, and some great fairway movement.  I'd love to go back but unlikely.

Dismal River, again due to location.  I think the Red course is underrated so would love to hear from anyone who has been there recently.

With all the thinking time in lockdown, it's emphasised the courses I really do want to go back and see at the earliest opportunity.  I'm hearing that Kawana has opened up some of the ocean front holes for example, and restored some green sizes and bunkering.  So along with the work at Hirono, Japan is on the hit list.

I love Aus and NZ, so they'll be a trip there for sure.

Closer to home, the North West of Ireland is a gaping hole in the resume, along with South West England.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

mike_malone

At the age of 76 (and with others I want to see), way too many to even think about without real sadness!

Sorry
AKA Mayday

Jim Sherma

With so many travel options out there, not to mention the number of very good to great courses within a few hours of my house, the number of courses I will probably never play again is unfortunately very large.

While I would love to regularly head back to northwest Ireland and play Carne, Sligo, Strandhill, etc., I also have other areas in Scotland and England that I really want to see at some point. Same with many areas in the US.

Tim_Weiman

I was just looking at a photo of a hole at The Island a course I played a couple of times 15/20 years ago. I thought “I would love to get back there”.

But it ain’t gonna happen. There are too many places I need to see for the first time and won’t even get to them.

Do you have a list of courses that you want to see again but realize IAGH?
Mike,

Back in the TraditionalGolf.com days before GolfClubAtlas (circa late 1990s) we had a get together at Crystal Downs.

I recall Tom Doak was kind enough to join us and give us a slide show from his vast photography collection.

But that aside, I recall playing with a doctor from Sydney, Australia. It was a very pleasant enjoyable round. Social golf and golf architecture appreciation at its best.

After finishing at 18 the doctor walked about half way up the hill to the clubhouse and stopped. Then, he started crying.....it was the joy of playing Crystal Downs and the sadness of knowing he would probably never return.

My only tears have come quite a few times leaving Ballybunion, but surely there will be more in the future.

Tim Weiman

mike_malone

Tim,

You make me think that an important part of one’s evaluation of a course is the emotional reaction you have. For me, thoughts leave quickly but emotions last.
AKA Mayday

Paul Rudovsky

You make me think that an important part of one’s evaluation of a course is the emotional reaction you have. For me, thoughts leave quickly but emotions last.

Mike--

you are 500% right about that!

with regard to your response of "sorry" to my post, thank you but while I am sad there is no way for me to get back to all the great ones, I have zippo to be sorry about.  Golf has afforded me the chance to play just about every great course that exists, so I have been very very fortunate...not to mention all of the great and wonderful people I have met in the process.  Very fortunate indeed...but thanks again.

Best
Paul

Garland Bayley

Royal Dornoch, and the spectacle of watching Mayday search the gorse for golf balls. ;) That is not to say I really saw it the day I was there as the haar had rolled in for our game.  :'(

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jay Mickle

At 75 there are sooo many courses will not see again. 52 years ago as a guest at the DelMonte lodge at Pebble one had the ability to play 3 courses(recall $25 each). With my parents we played Pebble, Spy Glass and Cypress. With little appreciation for architecture I only recall the views. Hope to return to California this year to see some great courses but will miss Cypress.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jeff Schley

At 75 there are sooo many courses will not see again. 52 years ago as a guest at the DelMonte lodge at Pebble one had the ability to play 3 courses(recall $25 each). With my parents we played Pebble, Spy Glass and Cypress. With little appreciation for architecture I only recall the views. Hope to return to California this year to see some great courses but will miss Cypress.
Good memories.  What exactly was the relationship between Cypress and those staying at the resorts at Pebble Beach? Was there some sort of agreed upon rate and days/times reserved, like TOC and Rufflets or simiiliar properties around St. Andrews? When did it end if so?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Rose

Probably anything in Wisconsin, including the course I grew up playing. I don't really have any good reason to visit that town anymore, especially since I don't even live in the US anymore.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

MCirba

Two come to mind;

The course formerly known as "The Country Club of The Poconos at Big Ridge", in PA.

As ponderous and pretentious as that original name was, it is notable that the course traverses twelve miles from the first tee to the 18th green.  One would reasonably assume that a good golf hole might be found along such a lengthy journey but that would be incorrect.

Also, Shore Gate in NJ is the architectural equivalent of giving a 5-year old 50 different cans/colors of paint and a large blank white wall and walking away for a few hours. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:11:12 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

Two come to mind;

The course formerly known as "The Country Club of The Poconos at Big Ridge", in PA.

As ponderous and pretentious as that original name was, it is notable that the course traverses twelve miles from the first tee to the 18th green.  One would reasonably assume that a good golf hole might be found along such a lengthy journey but that would be incorrect.

Also, Shore Gate in NJ is the architectural equivalent of giving a 5 year old 50 different cans/colors of paint and a large blank white wall and walking away for a few hours.

Mike,

I was speaking of fond memories. I might play Shoregate tomorrow to cure Mike Sweeney of his Covid cabin fever!!
AKA Mayday

Ronald Montesano

Peter, you never disappoint.

Mike, I get the sense that you don't WANT it to happen, with those two.

I think about my younger self, being told "welcome" to Putterham Meadows, Webhannet, and being told "not welcome" at Woods Hole and Cape Arundel. YS would love to see WH and CA, given their importance in architecture.

No courses I need to see again. I only want to see new ones. The ones that I've just photographed, I'd love to play. Top of that list is Sleepy Hollow in NY, since I've already played the good one, in Ohio.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jay Mickle

Good memories.  What exactly was the relationship between Cypress and those staying at the resorts at Pebble Beach? Was there some sort of agreed upon rate and days/times reserved, like TOC and Rufflets or simiiliar properties around St. Andrews? When did it end if so?

I don't know the relationship, only that Pebble, Spyglass and Cypress were available to those staying at the resort. I recall that the access to Cypress a year or two after I played.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

MCirba

Oh...fond memories.

Oops.  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

Prairie Dunes; unless there's a USGA championship there in the future, it's hard to imagine getting back to central Kansas.

I hadn't been there in 30+ years until last summer -- it's actually right on the way from Dornick Hills to Ballyneal.

It was packed with golfers so I did not have a chance to play, but I'll stop through again this summer when we do our work in Oklahoma.

Tom_Doak

This is a tough question for me.  I've seen 1400 courses now and surely there are more than a thousand of them I'll never see again, due to the combination of time / wanting to see new places / wanting to enjoy some of the courses I've built.

On the other hand, there is no course that I COULDN'T go see again if I wanted to.

I doubt I will get back to Ooty in India or Victoria in Sri Lanka -- the overseas flight is the easy part! -- but I will not give up on a return visit to Himalayan GC, even though I can't imagine what the occasion will be.

I am more likely to pass on ever seeing most of the U.S. Open rota again, or The Open rota, outside of St. Andrews and Muirfield, and maybe Hoylake or Sandwich.  But I can't imagine not seeing Prestwick again, even though it's been years.

Craig Van Egmond

The short list..

Cypress Point
Crystal Downs
Prairie Dunes
Southern Hills
Sand Hills
Mid Pines
Bandon Dunes
Pacific Dunes

mike_malone

Craig,
Why not?
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Tom Doak,

Get back to us in ten years when you’ve moved into the 70’s.
AKA Mayday

Craig Van Egmond

Craig,
Why not?

No Bob Huntley for one. :(

Mostly costs too much and don't travel much anymore. Got 6 grand kids now.  :)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:36:57 PM by Craig Van Egmond »

Brad Engel

Now that I've got two little ones running around the house, any return trip to a course I've already played will be a tough sell to the wife. Of all the places I've played, the one that is probably least likely to happen again is Sand Hills as I took the letter writing route for my first (and likely only) visit. I still have fond dreams of that visit!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back