News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I was just looking at a photo of a hole at The Island a course I played a couple of times 15/20 years ago. I thought “I would love to get back there”.

But it ain’t gonna happen. There are too many places I need to see for the first time and won’t even get to them.

Do you have a list of courses that you want to see again but realize IAGH?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:47:50 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mike Hendren

Easily Ballybunion Old and Lahinch.  I did not fully appreciate them at the time given adverse weather and fatigue.  Amazing and off the charts.

I was wrong.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

Easily Ballybunion Old and Lahinch.  I did not fully appreciate them at the time given adverse weather and fatigue.  Amazing and off the charts.

I was wrong.

Bogey

Probably two more on my list also. A member of my home club is also at Lahinch so who knows.
AKA Mayday

Ira Fishman

We had a reservation at The Island Club for a return visit last year, but Covid made that impossible. Lahinch is the repeat I worry may not happen; North Berwick is the other.

Ira

Tommy Williamsen

There are some second tier kinds of courses I might not play again like Delamere Forest or Prestbury in England. As much as I liked them I probably won't return. I had contacts at Cypress and San Francisco die so I will have to  figure out how to get back there. I hope I get to play there again, but it is not a given.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Fine

Mike,
I used to feel the same way as you but I am starting to change my ways.  You know I have seen a lot of course and I always sought out ones I had not seen before.  But lately (or at least when I was traveling before Covid) I started to revisit some of my favorite ones that I had seen before.  For one, why not play courses you really like, and two, I am always looking for ideas and love to study the nuances of these designs and the more you see them the more you pick up.  I still tend to gravitate toward courses I have not seen but I am doing more do-overs these days.  We have to play Rolling Green together this spring and I would love to get you to see our recent work at Bethlehem and Brookside. 
Mark

Mark_Fine

Tommy,
I would be happy to take you to Cypress and San Francisco (but can we trade for a round at course in GA)  :D

Pete_Pittock

North Berwick and Prestwick and St Andrews (old) top the list. Likely the list of courses I will see again is very short, Pacific Dunes, with Sheep Ranch being an addition to see for the first time.

mike_malone

Mike,
I used to feel the same way as you but I am starting to change my ways.  You know I have seen a lot of course and I always sought out ones I had not seen before.  But lately (or at least when I was traveling before Covid) I started to revisit some of my favorite ones that I had seen before.  For one, why not play courses you really like, and two, I am always looking for ideas and love to study the nuances of these designs and the more you see them the more you pick up.  I still tend to gravitate toward courses I have not seen but I am doing more do-overs these days.  We have to play Rolling Green together this spring and I would love to get you to see our recent work at Bethlehem and Brookside. 
Mark

Mark,
That’s a definite.
AKA Mayday

Mike Sweeney

Mike,
Mark

Mark,
That’s a definite.

I have definitely hit the "other list" where I am more interested in people over courses. Obviously, I need to see The Old Course at some point, but Ladybank is now on the list!!

Next up in the locality is Ladybank - a charming heathland with bags of fun, a flat walk, a great Club setup and where a few of my mates play.I’m proceeding with the process and, if they let me in, looking forward to hosting GCA chums when we’re able.F.

At the risk of "seeking access", I look forward to playing the new-Rolling Green over some more famous neighbors!!

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Marty Bonnar

Definitely!
Deposit paid and application form went in today.
Soon, my friend.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Young

I was just looking at a photo of a hole at The Island a course I played a couple of times 15/20 years ago. I thought “I would love to get back there”.

But it ain’t gonna happen. There are too many places I need to see for the first time and won’t even get to them.

where was the island located?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Rob Marshall

where was the island located?

Dublin
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Rob Marshall

Lahinch
Pebble
RCD

I need to get to Scotland before I return to those.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

If it's someone else"s definition of "great",
many.

If mine?
I will find a way to get back.
(Or so I may think)
After my Australia trip last February I was sure Id be back this winter.
Things happen....but some are very good.

Getting bavk to Arrowtown in NZ is a priority, but between the return pull of Australia and other parts of New Zealand I'd like to explore. Who knows?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

Mike,
Mark

Mark,
That’s a definite.

I have definitely hit the "other list" where I am more interested in people over courses. Obviously, I need to see The Old Course at some point, but Ladybank is now on the list!!

Next up in the locality is Ladybank - a charming heathland with bags of fun, a flat walk, a great Club setup and where a few of my mates play.I’m proceeding with the process and, if they let me in, looking forward to hosting GCA chums when we’re able.F.

At the risk of "seeking access", I look forward to playing the new-Rolling Green over some more famous neighbors!!

Let’s get some leaves on the remaining trees. You’re welcome anytime.
AKA Mayday

Bill Gayne

Unless Buda brings me there I don't foresee returning to Dornoch or Northern Ireland. Very happy I went to both (NI multiple times) but I just don't see making the effort to return over places that i really want to see for the first time or revisit.

Bill Brightly

Lahinch
Pebble
RCD

I need to get to Scotland before I return to those.

Several times. :)

Scott Warren

It’s a bit morbid to be pondering this at 37 years of age, but it’s something that crosses my mind from time to time. Not just re golf courses, but cities or sights I’ve visited and would love to see again but likely will not.

It’s a good lesson to savour life while you are living it and make the most of every day.

On the golf front, definitely Durban Country Club. We won’t go back to RSA while our kids are young due to safety, and in the meantime my wife’s relatives are either emigrating or aging. It’s a relatively expensive place to get to, so without family to stay with and keep the cost down, I suspect that might be it.

Which is a damn shame, because it’s a hell of a fun course and friendly club. But by the same token, my round there was a perfect September morning with my father-in-law, who grew up just down the road, reminiscing about his childhood and life before moving to Aus. He’s now well into a battle with early-onset Parkinson’s Dementia and the memories are all we really have left, so maybe it’s nice for my recollection of that place to always be of strolling the fairways with him and leave it at that?

mike_malone

Got Scott back on the board.
AKA Mayday

Peter Pallotta

CS Lewis had a lovely insight about getting older. He said that, when we're young, part of every great experience is the exciting promise that there's much more of the same to come; but then when we're older, every great experience comes instead with a quiet and gentle warning: enjoy this now, as best you can, because it may not be yours to enjoy again.   

Tim Leahy

Played Riviera and LACC North in college in the 80's but both are too private now to get back there unless somebody with connections sets up a King's Putter at either. I never thought I would play Sherwood CC until there was a KP tourney there, so anything is possible.  ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Cohn

Prairie Dunes; unless there's a USGA championship there in the future, it's hard to imagine getting back to central Kansas.

Paul Rudovsky

At the age of 76 (and with others I want to see), way too many to even think about without real sadness!

Tony_Muldoon

CS Lewis had a lovely insight about getting older. He said that, when we're young, part of every great experience is the exciting promise that there's much more of the same to come; but then when we're older, every great experience comes instead with a quiet and gentle warning: enjoy this now, as best you can, because it may not be yours to enjoy again.   

Can't think of any other forum I read which lacks a 'like' button.

Thank you Peter.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back