News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Horace Hutchinson's "Famous Golf Links"
« on: November 06, 2003, 02:22:53 PM »
Has anybody seen this book?  Is it in reprint?

RSLivingston_III

Re:Horace Hutchinson's "Famous Golf Links"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 02:29:45 PM »
Mike Beckeridge at Classics of Golf might be interested in running it. Talked with him earlier this week and he was looking for more books to add to the library.
Ralph
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 02:30:21 PM »
Echo Redanman's comments. It's sister book which is almost an exact reprint--British Golf Links is phenominal, and I have been clamoring for years for a reprint. The pictures are what make the book. My how the game has changed.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 02:51:02 PM »
I have a 1911 copy of Hutchinson's Badminton Library - Golf in great shape.  The descriptions of the courses are amazing.  

It's funny to see only a few North American courses mentioned - Royal Montreal for one...

My pro, Eric Peveto is enjoying it right now.

Someday I should scan/post some interesting pages..

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 06:03:25 PM »
How about Colt & Co.?

Haven't seen that one around for less than $500.

That may be a good candidate for reprint.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 07:06:20 AM »
$500?!? I don't care how good the book is--I'll wait for a reprint! I'm a Quaker man! For $500 I can buy about 10 different really good reprint books! If I want to get my hands on one of those rare, signed, numbered originals all I have to do is go over to Gil Hanse's house about 2 miles away. Gil is one of those guys who collects all that rare original stuff because he's very interested in having it and he's also one of these really good, successful and extremely rich young retro/renaissance architects!!  ;)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 10:10:58 AM »
"Colt and Co" $500, surely not?  I paid $75 a couple of years ago.  But it's now worth about 50c having visited the bottom of my bath tub.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 01:17:27 PM »
"But it's now worth about 50c having visited the bottom of my bath tub."

Paul, you, you, you....idjut!! And the bathtub probably had water in it too when you were taking a bath, right? You English--you're incorrigable. Don't bother answering whether the tub had water in it when you were bathing--I know you're probably not quite that eccentric yet. But henceforth, since you're apparently so prone to "dropsy" take your baths without water or do as we do over here and take showers. If you take Colt's book into the shower with you I don't know what to say!!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 04:49:28 PM »
Tom

You yanks have no idea when it comes to baths.  They're much too puny and shallow over here. Nothing like stewing in your own muck.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 04:56:16 PM »
Stewing in your own mucK?? Goodness! Do the English have some kind of recipe for that?

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 04:58:00 PM »
Paul -

You never know - with some of the weird things that go on out there, you might have actually increased the book's value. :)

I glanced through Colt & Co. a couple years ago at a golf expo and it looked more historical than architectural. Did I miss something?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back