News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Is anyone watching the coverage of the Korn Ferry at VN?
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »
Beside having not played Victoria National this year, I haven’t watched any of the coverage. I would like to watch today but can’t see it happening. Who pays for this and why? Is there such a thing as ratings for this event to know who is tuned in? By name possibly.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Is anyone watching the coverage of the Korn Ferry at VN?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
Why haven't you played VN? You been holed up in FLA? I have been watching. But after playing there for five days last year I want to see how they play the course. Watching them hit irons into 15 reminds me how old and short off the tee I am.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:22:33 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
It's not them, it's me. I believe the course has been open through Covid but my life has gotten in the way. Not to thread my own jack but I did play the Brickyard last week in a team Rahal event leading up to the 500. The rumor was that since Penske has taken ownership the course is in much better shape. It was perfect and once again I am disappointed in myself for having never played there before. It is currently a can't miss Midwestern gem.

Played with Spencer Pigot, the kid that wrecked at the end of the race. It was nothing less than exhilarating and frightening to see someone you know hit a barrier at 165 mph and live. He had told me how the protective windshield was going to make the race more difficult because of the heat that it retains in the cockpit. Most likely it saved his life.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
I'm the one watching the golf at VN!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 12:32:36 PM »
I was thinking that I probably know everyone who is watching before it hit me that the players families must be.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 01:57:31 PM »
Unable to comment on the KF event but until falling asleep in front of the TV I watched some the the Euro Tour golf from The Belfry.
Occurred to me that The Belfry isn’t even the best course in or near Sutton Coldfield, which for those unfamiliar with the area is a suburb of Birmingham, England.
Still The Belfry has a hotel for the current ‘tour Covid-pod’ and those involved should be grateful that some tournament golf is being played. I’ll most likely be watching the Tour de France tomorrow though.
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 02:46:46 PM »
The transition on the Golf Channel from the PGA to the Korn Ferry is a perfect example of how shot tracker is an overdone crutch crippling the coverage.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
John,

I'm curious, there is quite a bit more elevation differential than I thought from just looking at pictures.  Do you know what the site was before they built the course?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »
It was a strip mine that sat vacant for 17 years. The pits are up to 80 ft deep. TV makes it look flat to me.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 04:14:07 PM »
Just found it in Courses by Country.  Watching it on TV has been a treat with some very unique looking terrain.

https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/victoria-national-indiana-usa/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »
Now you can understand why I’ve been so angry the last 20 years.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 04:30:16 PM »
Now you can understand why I’ve been so angry the last 20 years.

Well I can guess, but you'll have to be more specific.  Doesn't golf week and golf digest still rate it pretty high?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
There is a lot of elevation change on the course, especially on the back nine. It is a scary course. There are double bogies lurking everywhere. I think GD has it about 46 and top 100 in GW.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 09:02:23 PM »
It was a strip mine that sat vacant for 17 years. The pits are up to 80 ft deep. TV makes it look flat to me.

Before it became a golf course, I used to bass fish those strip pits as it was a not too long of a bike ride from my house.  That was like shootin' fish in a barrel!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 09:06:42 PM »
In June 2010 I played VN for the first time with Wardo (I think I played it again a year or so later with Jaka; time flies, I may have this info screwed up). 

Here is a photo album from that 2010 visit back when I had little idea what I was doing with a camera, but with the help of iPhoto I think I re-habbed many of the photos to be decent:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/VictoriaNational/index.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back