News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Olympia Fields
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
I’ve played this course hundreds of times and I’ve always known that it would stand up to the best of the game while allowing average players to be challenged, thrilled and sometimes, overwhelmed.

The most important factor in the difficulty this week is the lack of rain the past couple weeks, along with a lot of southwest winds, which have combined to create the firm, fast and FAIR ground upon which they’re playing.

Yesterday I spoke with the acclaimed course superintendent, Sam MacKenzie, who confirmed that he has watered the course every night this week. He’s not starving the turf; he’s keeping it safe and challenging.

We were unlucky with the weather in 03, which led to some low scoring the first couple days, but Olympia’s fortunes have definitely improved this year.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:51:51 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »
What has really resonated for me are the contours on the greens. Even with TV flattening them out, it is clear that the putting is a challenge regardless of speed.

Ira

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
Great tournament on a great golf course that wore almost everyone out. Except for the final duo.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
Great tournament on a great golf course that wore almost everyone out. Except for the final duo.

Congrats Terry. You and the people of Chicago earned one.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 08:43:27 PM »

Jon Rahm goes down with Jerry Barber as making the great putt when he needed to at Olympia Fields. (And Dustin Johnson gets honorable mention, for he made the first of the two he had to make.) What an amazing finish to a tremendous four-day test of golf.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2020, 08:47:30 PM »

Jon Rahm goes down with Jerry Barber as making the great putt when he needed to at Olympia Fields. (And Dustin Johnson gets honorable mention, for he made the first of the two he had to make.) What an amazing finish to a tremendous four-day test of golf.

Rahm shaved the Barber! 

Couldn’t resist.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »
Tricky indeed Terry,

Was that an ode to the Barber paradox? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_paradox

P.S.  What are the biggest differences between the setup this week and regular play, (other than using the way back tees)?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2020, 09:11:14 PM »
Tricky indeed Terry,

Was that an ode to the Barber paradox? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_paradox

P.S.  What are the biggest differences between the setup this week and regular play, (other than using the way back tees)?

Most greens had perilous hole locations. Other than that it was all Mother Nature. And the pressure of elimination.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 09:54:15 AM »
Tricky indeed Terry,

Most greens had perilous hole locations. Other than that it was all Mother Nature. And the pressure of elimination.

And the rough, especially around the greens.  Saw lots of chips and pitches that the pros usually hit to kick-in range instead resulting in bogeys.

JWinick

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »
I think OFCC (my home club) showed its true colors.   While conditions were ideal (lack of rain & the right wind), they didn't have to set the course up in a silly way to challenge these guys.   For example, while the rough was 5 inches, it generally didn't preclude the players from hitting their approach shots somewhere around the green (although holding them was another story!).    The pins over the weekend were kinder and gentler.   They didn't use the back tee on 8 which would have meant 3-woods and drivers into a par 3.

I do believe that the pandemic allowed the course to play in its original routing, which I believe leads to a better finish.    The 18th and 17th holes with proper tree clearing can host plenty of corporate tents, so I hope the powers that be recognize the superiority of the proper routing.   There's something dramatic about a 16th hole that comes back to the clubhouse followed by an encore out and back.   

When I watched these guys torch the course in the 9-hole scotch game, I was personally expecting a winning score in the high teens!   

The coverage of the course was so positive that I could only find one negative comment all weekend (which is so dumb its not worth sharing).   

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:45:10 AM by JWinick »

John Blain

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »
I think OFCC (my home club) showed its true colors.   While conditions were ideal (lack of rain & the right wind), they didn't have to set the course up in a silly way to challenge these guys.   For example, while the rough was 5 inches, it generally didn't preclude the players from hitting their approach shots somewhere around the green (although holding them was another story!).    The pins over the weekend were kinder and gentler.   They didn't use the back tee on 8 which would have meant 3-woods and drivers into a par 3.

I do believe that the pandemic allowed the course to play in its original routing, which I believe leads to a better finish.    The 18th and 17th holes with proper tree clearing can host plenty of corporate tents, so I hope the powers that be recognize the superiority of the proper routing.   There's something dramatic about a 16th hole that comes back to the clubhouse followed by an encore out and back.   

When I watched these guys torch the course in the 9-hole scotch game, I was personally expecting a winning score in the high teens!   

The coverage of the course was so positive that I could only find one negative comment all weekend (which is so dumb its not worth sharing).
Has the club pretty much given up on hosting another US Open?  If so, what a shame. The course looks fantastic and I never heard one bad word from any of the players which is saying something!

JWinick

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »

I'm not involved in those discussions and certainly this week was a game changer.    I think its obvious though that the Club is interested in hosting amateur and professional events.   

Has the club pretty much given up on hosting another US Open?  If so, what a shame. The course looks fantastic and I never heard one bad word from any of the players which is saying something!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back