News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Less will not be More
« on: October 31, 2003, 09:28:34 AM »
Glow ball Halloween tourney last night simulated the competition ball concept.

I'll do all you in favor of the CBall concept, a big favor. As the self proclaymed 'Kybosh Kid' I will state emphatically;

this idea WILL NEVER FLY.

Hey, I enjoy hitting a four iron from 120 as much as the next guy, but i prefer it to because of the wind and not because the ball is de-juiced.

There will be no increase in shot making just a change in the number of the club struck. Hell my 3 iron goes as high as a wedge (with the right lie) and my wedge flies as low as an old three iron (with the wrong swing).

If restoring Augusta's "no rough" characteristic, is the price to pay to be wrong. I'd gladly pay it.

ed_getka

Re:Less will not be More
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 09:56:40 AM »
Adam,
   Isn't the ability to hit a 3iron instead of a 6 iron shotmaking? The majority of golfers can't hit a 3 iron at all. The competition ball WILL fly, you just have to put a good swing on it. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 10:59:08 AM »
Ed- To answer your question in a word, No. Ones ability to swing any club isn't as important as reading the lay of the land and creating the perfect shot required under the current circumstance. If one is presented with straight shot after straight shot that requires little imagination one's juices will dry-out quickly and maybe thats what this whole 'returning to values of the masters' movement, is about.

Plus, if we mix-up the justifications 'for' the argument, by including what us mere mortals hit, the need is definitly not there. Part of the observation, that it won't fly is because you can't ask 'Joe' to go shorter. He won't! It's not in his make-up or is it his desire.

Perhaps the members of the clubs that are most adversely affected and that have a high enough percentage of members that are truly "eating up" their own course, will the idea, on a limited basis, fly.

Just not enough to make the world go round $$$$$
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 11:04:06 AM by A_Clay_Man »

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 09:21:24 PM »
Adam,
  The sad truth is $$$ ARE the bottom line. And thus, as you say, the idea will never fly. There aren't enough people out there who care about the game vs. those who are trying to make money off the game.
   You can't even play the same ball for two years running with the planned obsolescence of product lines (with a few exceptions) these days. >:(
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back