News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Sphinx in your Back Garden IMO piece by David Thomas New
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:17:33 AM »
 https://golfclubatlas.com/thomas-david-sphinx-in-your-back-garden/

I had the good fortune to tour Worcestershire Golf Club in Malvern, England with David Thomas in August, 2018. Below is the 14th green from the main course but that is NOT the subject of this new In My Opinion piece. However, it does show the flair that one Alister MacKenzie brought to this project when he designed the course in 1926.

Rather, David has singled out a green that is now not in use as part of the main course. It’s a corker and if you know what you are looking for, you pass it on the way to the club, a few hundred yards before you reach the club parking.

As always, giving credit to architects for what they did is a fine thing, even if the subject matter didn’t stand the test of time.

In this case, the green complex isn’t overwrought by any means, is full of character, and deserves to be celebrated as the special creation that it once was. In its day, it was viewed as one of the finest holes on the course but land seizure during WWII led to its demise.

David gains the reader’s immediate attention with his opening sentence: ‘There cannot be many golf clubs that possess an original Dr Alister MacKenzie designed green, one that retains its original contours and features, yet hasn’t been actively played on for 80 years.’

That is surely true! Your attention never wanes throughout his piece either as you wonder what events led to its non-use and what events are preventing it from being but back into play in some form.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:21:51 AM by Ran Morrissett »

John Mayhugh

Re: Sphinx in your Back Garden IMO piece by David Thomas
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »
Really enjoyable read. I'm thinking about a detour pre or post-Buda for a look if that's possible.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »
John

David has already made the offer and I think this thread and his IMO will hopefully whip up some interest.

David

Great stuff, well done. In looking at the photo of when it was in play, presumably it is from the direction of play and the "bunker" short of the green is a grass bunker by the looks of it which would chime with the idea that the left hand side green bunker was a grass bunker as well ?

The Colt comments are interesting and if I was reading between the lines it seems to me that MacKenzie tipped off Colt about his work out of professional courtesy and regard for his former partner and friend but that the club having been bankrolled by someone intent on using MacKenzie felt obliged to go with him. Colt then probably felt obliged to cut his ties. Of course I might have read that as well as I tend to read my putts and got it completely wrong !

Niall

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »

Your attention never wanes throughout his piece either as you wonder what events led to its non-use and what events are preventing it from being but back into play in some form.

It is amazing what that generation did:

https://whyy.org/articles/remembering-d-day-and-the-complex-medical-system-that-saved-the-boys/

Medics on the beach applied basic first aid and put the “transportable” — wounded that could wait for definitive treatment — onto the LSTs that had carried the blankets that now covered them. Across the channel at English ports, the soldiers were loaded onto trains destined for the more than 150 American-built hospitals across the countryside.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
Ran.

I will wait until 1/1/2020 to send in the next donation, but your website is GREAT, quirks and all.

Happy New Year.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
Brilliant stuff. This really floats my boat!
I just love golf architecture ‘archaeology’ like this.
Great work, David!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
David did you find that letter from Colt?  Its a moment of pure joy when unearthing something like that.

If this was a national monument it would be laser measured and then buried in washed sand to protect it. But it will already have changed from when it was in play and will continue to change with land movement and erosion etc.

Having it surveyed and incorporated at another MacKenzie course would be a great outcome for this discovery.   
Suitable for the 9th (par 3) at Cavendish - the one non original green there? Or replace one of the greens on the new nine at Worcestershire?

I think this is the best possible outcome.  Thanks for sharing with us.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »
Many thanks for the kind words and to Ran and the others, especially those ‘in the business’, who have ‘been and seen’. Should any Buda-ites, who of course will be pretty closeby come Kington in Sept, wish to have a look-see plus a knock around the current course by all means get in touch. Other GCAers welcome too.

To clarify and expand on matters, the old hole played in from the left side in the 1927 photo, not straight ahead so when viewing the old photo the bunkers are actually on the right side of the green and the deep hollow, an evil hollow, is to the left.

The Colt letter was a totally unexpected find. I was going through an old committee Minute Book and there it was, folded inside the back cover. Seeing the headed notepaper and reading the content was a bit of a falling off my seat moment. A couple of emails to Adam in Oxford and Neil in Adelaide and a diversion via Nick at Alwoodley and the story unfolded from there. I don’t believe Bagshawe bankrolled anything, more that he passed on to the movers and shakers at the club suggestions of MacKenzie. I’m not surprised that during this period Colt resigned his very long standing club membership. I’d have been pretty miffed in his situation.

Curiously when Mackenzies course opened the final cost was apparently much more than he’d quoted which is where the “it wouldn’t have cost so much if the committee hadn’t interfered” quote comes from. I’m not sure how chuffed the club were with Mackenzies course though given that the contouring of one green is described as “ridiculous” in a club minute comment, that one green was softened after a few months, that Braid was called in a few months later to give his thoughts - he proposed a couple of changes to the greens but these weren’t carried out for a couple of years due to lack of money - and then later on Colt of all people, a bit of a nerve asking him imo really, was asked to review the course although nothing he suggested was undertaken due presumably to lack of money and maybe the approaching WWII.

And then we come to the hospital/camp, an entity that has a history all of its own as highlighted by Mikes quoted weblink. The Club often get visitors enquiring about the hospital/camp. Some even arrive and wonder round looking bemused it’s not there anymore then head for the Clubhouse where they are usually put in touch with me to hear how the camp story unfolded ... hospital, Dutch soldiers, displaced folks from Russian republics, British Army including those from “Who dares wins”, dismantling etc.

As to the old greens contours, I had hoped to have it surveyed in detail in time for this piece but the now long grass and particularly the wetness around it have meant a delay. One day hopefully.

Atb

PS - there’s another Colt link with the Club as an early WGC Professional, and apparently Colts playing mentor, was Douglas Rolland who later teamed-up with Colt at Rye.
PSS - and CH Alison went to school at Malvern College which in the early days had very close links to the Club so would probably have played on the original course on Malvern Common.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »
What is an "armchair" green?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
What is an "armchair" green?

This phrase intrigued me too Tommy.
Someone may well correct me but in this context I interpreted it to mean akin to the following - view the final colour photo in the piece and imagine yourself sitting on the top level of the putting surface with your arms by your sides and your feet extending away from you down the ramp/tongue at the front of the green. A kind of 'sitting in an armchair' position?
atb

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 06:06:57 AM »
ATB

Well done. While I already knew the story it is satisfying to know it is online for all to read.

Is it known how often Colt played the course as an adult?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

Re: Sphinx in your Back Garden IMO piece by David Thomas New
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 07:59:21 AM »
Sean,
There are references in various old competition records of Colt playing as a younger adult but I haven’t explored that particular rabbit hole in any detail. I believe however, that more on this period of Colts life is likely to become known in due course via the pen of another writer, someone who, unlike me, is a professional author. :)
Atb

Later edit - here is a link to a reproduction of this piece in condensed for in GC-Architecture magazine, issue 59, Jan 2020 - [size=78%]http://digital.tudor-rose.co.uk/golf-course-architecture/issue59/46/[/size]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:06:56 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back