News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: A Week in E Lothian and Northumberland: North Berwick and then south
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 01:32:34 PM »
P.S.  Still having a hard time understanding how that one shot is actually a road.  Looks like even two small cars couldn't squeeze thru side by side.  They must have lots of pullouts!  ;)

That’s a fairly narrow road but it’s not a proper narrow road. Proper narrow roads have grass growing up the middle and sheep and cattle wondering along them and tractors and trailers and quad-bikes with sheepdogs riding pillion coming the other way when someone has to reverse often quite a long way and it’s not normally the local. And such roads go on for miles! Don’t let me put you off rural GB driving though! :)
Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
Thomas too funny.

In the Western US, "roads" like you just described are usually called trails and only found on BLM maps or private property.

Outside of Lombard street, I can scarcely think of any road I've ever been on that wasn't a designated one way street or didn't have at least one lane in each direction...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »
Kalen,
Thanks

With respect to the narrow roads (proper or otherwise), back up cameras have to be one of the most valuable innovations for drivers there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:05:08 PM by John Mayhugh »

Daryl David

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
There seems to be a law in the U.K. and Ireland that the closer you get to the course the narrower the road must be. Those last 200 yards are harrowing. Especially as golfers are leaving to head home after a few pints. At least you don’t have to remember which side of the road to drive on. There’s only one side!

John Mayhugh

Re: A Week in E Lothian and Northumberland: Goswick added
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
 Buda began with Berwick Upon Tweed Golf Club (aka Goswick) on Friday. I marvel at the negotiating ability of organizers like  Mark Pearce, who got us access (inexpensive, too) to a place like this and Dunstanburgh Castle on the weekend.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64104.0.html

The first took a bit of criticism for the internal out of bounds on the right. I’ll confess to not noticing it until someone mentioned it on here. I liked the approach shot a lot (sorry for the crummy picture).
DSC01785 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 4th green complex is pretty intricate. A tough target for a long approach.
DSC01795 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 6th was a favorite. Dune ridge along the right urged yoru tee shot towards the lone bunker. The approach also gets to contend with dune, a false front, and bunker left.
DSC01802 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

I love the simple transition from fairway to green on holes like 10 & 11.
DSC01808 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01812 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 14th was probably my favorite hole. Bumpy fairway with a green tucked into a dip between dunes.
DSC01819 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Good luck getting an approach shot to stop for a front hole location with a green that runs away. Perfect chance to try to use the ground contours.
DSC01833 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

There’s a bell. Of course there’s a bell. One day I should do a thread on the variety of bells I’ve seen, but maybe I’m the only person who would be interested.
DSC01834 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

I liked this look at the short 15th. The tee shot comes from the right side of the photo, hiding much of the green from view. The punchbowl surrounds are a useful tool for getting a shot close.
DSC01835 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Road (or footpath) in front of the short par 5 17th green. The little bit of randomness that it can add to the approach is clever.
DSC01830 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

You can count on a friendly welcome in the shop. They should rent these guys out instead of trolleys.
IMG_2224 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Goswick was a delight. If it were moved up nearer the likes of Gullane, it would garner far more appreciation. Absent the fussiness that can plague bigger names, it’s a nice mix of rugged and refined. The routing also flows really well other than the cramped area at 1/9/10/18. I think 9 & 18 could be improved, but worry that sometimes “better” doesn’t turn out better.

At dinner that night in Bamburgh, we heard a lot of dog barking in the room we were eating in. After dinner, we learned why. Lucky they were willing to accommodate us.
IMG_2238 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:16:39 AM by John Mayhugh »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »

There’s a bell. Of course there’s a bell. One day I should do a thread on the variety of bells I’ve seen, but maybe I’m the only person who would be interested.

You and Quasimodo  ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »

After North Berwick, we headed south to Bamburgh to be ready for Buda on Friday. I rented an apartment that had a most unusual feature – a coin box for electricity. Pay as you go!
IMG_2204 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

John, You rent the apartment from E.L. Meters at Muirfield?

East Lothian has become a favorite place of mine to visit.

Old dogs are the best.

Lastly, thanks for sharing your pictures.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 06:43:36 PM by Bill Gayne »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 10:47:26 PM »
Bill,

I shouldn't have left off EL (for everyone else reading, Muirfield has a clever way to conceal their circuit breakers)
IMG_2072 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Tony,
I might have expected something from you!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2019, 04:58:59 AM »
Great stuff, John.  Your hole numbering is a bit awry, though.  13's the par 3 at the end of the course.  The 14th is the cool sunken green and the 15th is the short par 3.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
Mark,
Thanks for reminding me why I should never attempt to number a hole without a scorecard in front of me.

Tony_Muldoon

John Mayhugh

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »
For you John

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1177888971130576900

Overheard in catering headquarters: “Why did we run out of sausages every day?”

Greg Hohman

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 02:50:24 AM »
Jeff,
You're being overly kind. If posts like mine encourage someone to seek out a lesser known course like The Northumberland, I'll be very pleased.
John, sights for sore eyes, a person can dream, thanks much.
newmonumentsgc.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
Thanks for comments.
 Saturday of Buda was down the road at Dunstanburgh Castle. I knew little about it pre-Buda, but am always eager to see another course where Braid worked.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67566.msg1615530.html#msg1615530

The second was maligned a bit by some of our group, but I liked the hole. Here’s the green from behind. My biggest criticism of the hole is that with the wind, it’s easy to end up in the tall stuff on the left. Tough green to hit.
DSC01838 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 4th was plenty difficult to hold, and maybe a little too one-dimensional. But is it a bad hole? No, I think a great one. The view from the front and then the right side. We lucked out that they had baled up some of the rough around the course prior to our arrival!
DSC01841 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01845 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Lots going on with the 5th green approach.
DSC01850 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Terrific green for the 7th. Plateau in the rear and right meant opportunity to use the slope on the left for your approach. Sadly, this was as close as we got to the huge blowout behind.
DSC01856 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Challenging approach to the 9th.
DSC01860 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 10th green, guarded by a WWII pillbox.
IMG_2253 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

IMG_2258 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle provide a gorgeous backdrop for the par 3 13th.
DSC01879 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Walkers enjoyed it too.
DSC01899 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A hairy berm guards the front of the punchbowl 16th, as viewed from the rear and right side.
DSC01892 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01863 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Dunstanburgh Castle ends with something of a dud. One shouldn’t let this overly impact their opinion of the course – it’s well worth seeing. The sublime setting and several excellent holes offset a few weak points, making this a place I would love to return to.

John Mayhugh

Re: A Week in E Lothian and Northumberland: Bamburgh Castle
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2019, 12:41:19 PM »
 We returned to Goswick for Sunday morning play, and then like that – Buda was over for another year. Participants headed home or elsewhere for more golf. Jason, Tony, & I headed back to Bamburgh for a quick look at Bamburgh Castle. And are we ever glad that we did.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59502.msg1401735.html#msg1401735

Bamburgh Castle was better than the dumb blonde we were expecting. Or, maybe we all were just intoxicated by the setting. In the tour linked above, Malcom McKinnon described it as sporty, and I agree. If we had any doubts about the trip being worthwhile, they were gone soon enough.

Your first tee shot has to contend with the dinkie.
DSC01906 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01907 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

By the time you hit the 2nd tee and look around, you’re thinking this may be paradise.
DSC01908 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Views of the 2nd green from the left are postcard worthy.
DSC01911 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A shelf on the left and fall-off on the right make hitting the 4th green a little more challenging.
DSC01921 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

If you like steeply uphill, 220 yard par 3s, here’s a good one. I continue to enjoy seeing how looking at yardages on a scorecard may not tell you much.
DSC01931 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

It’s also a climb up to the 7th green, with the 14th and a perfectly sited bench in the background.
DSC01935 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Sneak peek of 14 green with the namesake castle in the background.
DSC01936 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

From this point, there is quite a bit of up and down to the course. The par 3 10th has one of the sturdier viewing platforms that I’ve seen.
DSC01944 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01946 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Hard to build enough of a tower to deal with the blind tee shot on 10. But bells help.
DSC01949 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01952 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Named Lindisfarne for the Holy Island in the backdrop, the downhill 12th provides views of its own.
DSC01954 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A daunting tee shot for the 150 yard uphill 14th.
DSC01958 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Is this view of the castle better with or without Jason in the frame?
DSC01960 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01961 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

15 plays steeply downhill, with a gully that complicates the tee shot. One more look at Lindisfarne. Next time I’m in the area, would love to explore the island and try to find traces of the old Braid course.
https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/england/north-east/northumberland/320-holy-island-golf-club-northumberland

DSC01971 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Our fun ends with two sub-300 yard par 4s. OOB is a real risk on the 17th.
DSC01977 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

No time to stick around for drinks after the round, but what a place to do it.
DSC01984 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Visiting Bamburgh Castle will cause you to question the importance of "proper" golf architecture to your enjoyment of the game. The property is a little too severe to provide a great golf course, but the one that is there is loads of fun, and the setting alone is practically reason enough to rave – at least for me. No doubt the course could be improved, but the charm and sportiness of the holes is enough for me. If this is “holiday golf,” I’m all in.

It’s a shame that only three of us played Bamburgh Castle, because I think it would have been a hit. If nothing else, it would be fun to see how many of us admitted to enjoying it. I’m sure to return.

Mark Pearce

Re: A Week in E Lothian and Northumberland: Bamburgh Castle - WOW
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
So glad you enjoyed Bamburgh Castle GC, John.  On a day like the one you had, there are no better views in golf and the course is plenty good enough to be great fun.  I had rather hoped that more pests would visit Bamburgh for a round but sadly the attractions of bigger name courses North of the border won out.  Perhaps we could have used Bamburgh as the second BUDA course but I do think the golf is better at Dunstanburgh, though the views are great, if not quite at Bamburgh's level.

Sadly my wife just gave up her membership at Bamburgh as it's just a bit too far from Newcastle to make it a viable home club for us.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »

While I generally prefer pictures without people I must admit including me will provide inspiration to others both in terms of swing technique and physique. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
Jason,

Good to see you’ve not been skipping leg days.

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »

While I generally prefer pictures without people I must admit including me will provide inspiration to others both in terms of swing technique and physique.

Topp

To live it is to believe it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
So glad you enjoyed Bamburgh Castle GC, John.  On a day like the one you had, there are no better views in golf and the course is plenty good enough to be great fun.  I had rather hoped that more pests would visit Bamburgh for a round but sadly the attractions of bigger name courses North of the border won out.  Perhaps we could have used Bamburgh as the second BUDA course but I do think the golf is better at Dunstanburgh, though the views are great, if not quite at Bamburgh's level.

Sadly my wife just gave up her membership at Bamburgh as it's just a bit too far from Newcastle to make it a viable home club for us.

Mark,
In the battle of castle courses, I think you made the right decision on Dunstanburgh over Bamburgh. The golf is clearly better. Were I to take a non-golfer for a walk around, Bamburgh would be a delight. The golf at Bamburgh was still better than I expected. I am glad that you and Tony encouraged me to head back south to see it.

Jason,
Something to aspire to.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »

What the heck is a "dinkie"?  Let alone an unstable one.  A Google search turns up no satisfactory definition, although it does offer some suggestive ones not suitable for this site.

Your first tee shot has to contend with the dinkie.

DSC01906 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC01907 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

John Mayhugh

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »
Bryan,
I think local help is needed to answer that. My google searches were about as successful as yours.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
Looks like it could be a peat bog or something like that.  I'm guessing you step on it and may sink down a bit, like Scottish quicksand?

Bear Grylls got in one on a Scottish Highlands episode and they look to be pretty nasty...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:38:21 AM by Kalen Braley »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2019, 11:53:45 AM »
Looks like it could be a peat bog or something like that.  I'm guessing you step on it and may sink down a bit, like Scottish quicksand?

Bear Grylls got in one on a Scottish Highlands episode and they look to be pretty nasty...  ;)

That picture lies or we both need to go to Specsavers (uk reference!).

I took Dinkie to be a local word for the inlet that you hit across on one.    The dark area falls away down to the sea and they are warning you to keep off the rocks.

PS as usual I can offer no proof whatsoever.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2019, 12:14:40 PM »

"There’s a bell. Of course there’s a bell. One day I should do a thread on the variety of bells I’ve seen, but maybe I’m the only person who would be interested."

John, you're not the only one. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:18:06 PM by Bernie Bell »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back