News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

RIP Walter Woods
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:17:18 AM »

Just seen the sad news that the greenkeeping legend Walter Woods passed away last night. Walter was the long standing Head Greenkeeper at St. Andrews and his influence amongst the UK greenkeeping fraternity cannot be overstated. He gave so much to the game and the home of golf and will be sorely missed.

Jon

Tom_Doak

Re: RIP Walter Woods
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »
Aw, damn.  I had not seen Walter in some time - old age had not treated him well - but his influence on this particular American architect could not be overstated, either.

I thought of him just last week in fact, when I was in California.  I was shaving at the sink at a golf club, and there was no stopper to hold in the water, and I remembered Walter wondering how a state that had a drought emergency back in the 1980's could justify wasting water that way.  It would not surprise him that they still do.

The year I headed to the UK after graduating from university, I was introduced to Walter by his friend Stanley Carr, the Scotsman who was the greenkeeper at Gulf Stream in Delray Beach.  Walter had tentatively promised to put me on his maintenance crew for the summer, but the summer of 1982 was a nasty recession in Scotland, and Walter said he could not hire an American kid when they were so many people in town who needed the work.  So, he had talked with the caddie master, and set up for me to caddie on The Old Course, on the condition that I wouldn't go out too early and interfere with the men who had to make two loops to feed their families.  After that, I was free to hang out around the maintenance yard as much as I liked, and ask questions.  It all proved to be the best possible way to learn about The Old Course, and about greenkeeping and golf in Scotland generally.

We saw a lot of each other that summer, because I would be out on the golf course in the early morning and late evening taking photos, and Walter worked morning and evening shifts because those were the only times The Old Course wasn't packed with golfers.  He had an irrigation system but never used it on automatic -- he said it was less likely for someone to overwater if it required standing there with a hose long enough to do it -- and I was absolutely amazed how he would flood a green with water one night after not watering it for three weeks.  He had his crew collect seaweed off the rocks in the harbor, composted it in the parking lot, and used that for fertilizer so he could spend his budget on labor instead of chemicals.  [He was doing sustainability before it was a thing; of course, so was every other greenkeeper in the UK, but Walter kept doing it even when he had the budget not to.]

Walter bemoaned the direction of the turf industry, but at the same time he stayed on top of the latest developments -- he and Jimmy Kidd from Gleneagles [David's father] and George Brown from Turnberry always came to the GCSAA show in the USA, because they understood they had to cater to their American visitors.  Walter was a very good golfer, and he always emphasized that his job was to provide a good playing surface, ahead of a "pure" looking stand of turf that didn't provide a firm bounce.

He was in charge of four courses for the town, so he always had a posse of top-flight assistants who would soon move on to important greenkeeping jobs elsewhere:  when I lived there, they included today's greenkeeper at Carnoustie, and the now head of agronomy for the European Tour.

You could also say that he has a lot of disciples in the design business . . . anyone that ever worked for me has benefitted from his wisdom.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
Wonderful tribute!  Better than most all obits.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
Of possible interest re his work at Kingsbarns

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/bigga/gki/article/2001jan29.pdf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
Wonderful tribute!  Better than most all obits.
+1
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 02:49:19 PM »
Of possible interest re his work at Kingsbarns

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/bigga/gki/article/2001jan29.pdf

I meant to mention that, too, but I had to run out for an appointment and abruptly cut off my post.  Mark Parsinen had both Dave Wilber and Walter Woods as soil & turf consultants for Kingsbarns, and Dave and I have always gotten along great because of that shared understanding.

Walter used to have me over to his house for supper now and then, and whenever I saw him after that year, he always worried about how skinny I was.  Once when I visited him a few years later, he remarked how good I looked, and I did not have the heart to mention that I was wearing two sweaters because it was so cold.  But he would be proud of me now.   :D 

Oh - and also - I meant to mention that his favorite course in the world was not The Old Course but his previous gig, Notts Golf Club, which he always called by its local name, Hollinwell. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:17:55 PM by Tom_Doak »

Steve Okula

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
I didn't have the good fortune to meet Mr. Woods, but I corresponded with him.

I was a twenty-something superintendent in Florida in the '80's, and I had just married an English lady that I met there. Exploring the possibility of moving to Britain, I wrote to Mr. Woods to inquire about employment. I think his name and address were the only ones in British greenkeeping I could find at the time, this was the era of snail mail and dial phones.

He didn't know me at all,  but I got a personal, hand-written letter back a few weeks later. He apologised that he had no management positions, but he could put me on as a laborer, at something like 3 quid per hour. I couldn't afford the move at that price, but I appreciated his sincere gesture to help if he could.

I remember he questioned my motives, "I find it curious that an American wants to move to Britain, most of us are trying to get over there."

He also incuded some clippings from want adds in a British greenkeeping publication, (I don't remeber now what it was) in case I wanted to pursue those opportunities. It was a lot of trouble to go through for a total stranger.

Walter Woods was a gentleman of the highest order, I have no doubt.

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back