News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Mark's Book on Emmett is available for purchase
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
Mr. Bell Bernie, please.

Why I love this discussion group.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff Loh

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »
Got my book.
Mark I sent you a message. Did you get it?

mark chalfant

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »

Hello Jeff,
Thank you for your note and for your purchase of the Devereux Emmet book. I am in California right now tending to my 92 year old mother who is frail and in a hospice. I am behind on all correspondence, and many other things. I will reach out to you when I return home.
Thank you very much

Mark

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »

Mark,

Another Jeff here who just ordered.  Don't rush on anything.  I took my 89 year old mother in several years ago and know it is time consuming.  I look forward to reading the book, though.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »
[size=78%]I am in California right now tending to my 92 year old mother who is frail and in a hospice. I am behind on all correspondence, and many other things. [/size]

Mark,

Best to Mrs. Chalfant and let's have a coffee when you get back and it cools down a little in NYC.

#AeternusUmbra
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
Mark,

Hope all goes well for your mom. Upon your return please send me two autographed copies. If you don't mind I'd like one of them signed "Mark Chalfant" and the other one signed "Marc Chalfont" to add to the mystique. Thanks  ;) 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:03:56 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ian Andrew

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
Starting a book is easy.  Finishing one is not!

Even harder is deciding to bite the bullet and publish.
It's become a staggering amount to publish and a lot of work to distribute after a sale is made.

It's become the hurdle that I can't seem to cross ...

Congratulations Mark.
It's one of two books I need to eventually pick up.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jeff Loh

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
Very UNHAPPY with this book. Not worth $50.
Typos, grammar, pictures with no captions. I could go on...

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Bernie Bell

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »
It's a self-published book and quite obviously a labor of love.  I found the content excellent and informative.  I bought extras for gifts.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
Self published for $50??
What did you learn that you couldn't have found out from a Google search?

Bernie Bell

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2019, 03:01:41 PM »
Off the top of my head, and without the book in front of me, I believe there were quotes on the courses from Doak, Urbina and Bahto not from public domain, and I'm certain there were many old aerials that I wouldn't begin to know how to find on Google.  Author said he visited 26 Emmet courses 90 times over 5 years of research, and collected a lot of Emmet material from other frequent posters on this site.  If you didn't learn anything from the book, either you came to it as one of the world's foremost authorities on Emmet or you didn't try very hard.  Not sure why you want to come on here and disparage a years-long project by a long-time member of this DG -- a guy whose work on Emmet Ran thought enough of to feature (below) -- especially once he's personally told you that he's with his aged mother in hospice.  If you're that aggrieved by the content and production quality, PM me your address and I'll send you $45 plus postage and you can return your copy to me, if that will stop the whingeing. 

https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-mark-chalfant/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
Thanks Bernie, you saved me a lot of typing.  ;D

corey miller

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »

If the book by Mark is of the same high quality as the fantastic pictures and interview on this site it is certainly a bargain at that price. 

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
Jeff,
You obviously were expecting something else.  A lot of the information you think that you can find on Google probably came from Mark's hard research work, and this book happens to organize information on Emmet beautifully.  There happen to be a couple of beloved Golf Course Architecture books with the issues you negatively pointed out, but their value is tremendous.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2019, 09:24:56 PM »
Robert
What does your comment even mean??
For $50 I expect a professional and coherent work. Something not riddled with typos and a single sentence on a full page.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »

Mark,

Every time I head north out of my driveway I pass the remains of one of Emmet's last creations, one that you featured in the book, the NLE Hob Nob Hill GC which closed some 72 years ago.

I can only imagine what it would have been like to have played there, and to have challenged the gently rising par 5 6th hole. What's even worse is knowing that at least half of the hole corridors (including the 6th) still remain, but a dozen or so homes now occupy the other half.  :'(

The sixth:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:42:32 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Andrew Carr

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 09:45:25 AM »
Mark,

As you know I love my copy of the book and can't thank you enough for speaking with our Green Committee a few years back.

Everyone,

Can we use this momentum to finally get Emmet the stage he deserves?  A proper society dedicated to him!  Mark, I know you started a few years back with it and unfortunately there wasn't enough traction then, but does anyone on this site care to take another stab at it?  In the Long Island area alone, Rockville Links, Wheatley Hills, Huntington Country Club and St. George's have gone the restoration route for Mr. Emmet.  I sure hope I didn't miss any course in that shout out, but I"m confident someone will chime in if I did.

So to those that are members of architect societies...what's involved?  How do we get this off the ground and who's with us?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »

I bought it because....well, I buy nearly every architecture book and appreciate the efforts.  I just received my copy this week and was looking at it as I opened the computer and this thread. 

A bit less than I may have imagined, yes.  But, I think that's because I seek really detailed info about thought processes, etc. that a non-architect might not, so I'm always a bit disappointed in architecture books.   ???

I noticed the graphic layout wasn't great, but I also received Cutten's (and Paul Daley editing) Evolution of Golf Design, much more finished in presentation, but a broader brush look at golf architecture theory, so by necessity even more vague, at least to my way of thinking.  I guess, in the end, I believe the study of architecture needs more books on specific and lesser known architects by real devotees than it does coffee table books, etc. 

And, as mentioned, its full of photos I would have never seen, so I did learn many things I didn't know, so to be disappointed that I didn't learn more is hardly a criticism.  Since we knew so little about Dev compared to other architects, it's certainly a worthwhile endeavor, which I appreciate.  I'll bet part of the five years was hesitation to publish, lest the day after, some new facts become available, LOL.

My last thought is it made me want to know more about Alfred Tull, his ten year associate who from what I know (which isn't much, granted) developed a style almost devoid of things in Emmet's style.  Was that because he opened the office in 1934, a la the depth of the Depression and knew (like Mac and others) he needed a simpler to maintain style, with less bunkers, etc.?

corey miller

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »

What is the purpose of an architect society anyway?  Someone like Emmett is not going to be "re-discovered" by a bunch of people that happen to like his courses but have limited access.

IMO....this endeavor needs to be led by the clubs itself.  All the better that Emmett worked in a limited geographical footprint.

The club/club pro themselves should have the book for sale in the Pro Shop.
They should be gifted to members of the greens committee at the various clubs.
The clubs could/should start an interclub series of matches, heck even have Mark speak at the dinner for the matches if he is amenable.

Just a few beginning suggestions.....Mark has laid a foundation, it is the clubs themselves that need to follow through.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2019, 12:19:05 PM »

Corey,

Great point.  Whitten updated his book a few times, and with self publishing, I suppose it would be easier to do it now.  Technically, his next sold book could have something the one I just bought doesn't have. 

I also like the idea (Mark may not) of somewhat relinquishing his book rights by opening it up to others who can provide more in depth research, like clubs who find more of their own history pitching in.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
After spending some time reading Keith Cutten's "Evolution of Golf Design" I am upgrading my initial lukewarm review.  Learned a lot about some architects rarely covered and even those often covered.  Well worth the time to read. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back