News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

Just wrapped up a tour of SW Ireland and Ballybunion came away as my new favorite golf course in the world.  From the opening tee shot over the cemetery to the great holes through the dunes, it was spectacular.  I didn't expect it to be that good, so maybe that helped it 'surprise' me.

We had a 30 mph wind day, but the sun was out.  My caddie was great and was able to club me right, even with my high ball flight.  I hit my 140 club 190 on one hole and turned around and hit my 210 club 135 on the next hole.  Links golf is amazing, especially with the wind blowing.  We just don't experience anything like it here in the Southeast.

Old Head - this was my 2nd time to Old Head.  Many people on the trip with me had never been before and I just love watching their reactions as you drive in.  Words and pictures can not accurately describe how special the views are, so I'm not going to try.  The wind was only 5-7 mph so it made the course very easy, which was a nice break from the rest of the trip.  If you are in Ireland, don't miss this one.

Trump Doonbeg - We stayed at Doonbeg for 2 nights and the accommodations are first class, like any Trump property.  This was our first round of the trip.  We teed off as soon as we got off the bus from the airport - our flight sat on the runway for 3 hours in Philly, thanks American Airlines.  The course was very good but after being so tired and rushed, I can't remember as much about it as the others.  Definitely worth playing.

Lahinch - I was very excited to play Lahinch just a couple weeks after the Irish Open.  The range was closed as it housed all of the infrasturcture they hadn't yet loaded up.  This was the TOUGHEST WEATHER I had ever played in.  30-40 MPH and rain the entire round.  Only 8 of our 32 players finished the round and caddies told us "no one plays in this weather".  I smoked a 5 iron 90 yards on one hole!  It was during this round I realized why they play match play instead of stroke play.  1) You can't write on a wet scorecard 2) No one wants to shoot that high of a score.  Who cares if you play tough conditions and shoot 99 when you can say you lost 2 down, it sounds much better.  I wish the conditions had been better to enjoy it - we were in survival mode this round.

Dooks - great logo but doesn't compare to the rest of the courses.

Tralee - This is the only Arnold Palmer course I have enjoyed playing (I believe).  Tralee was my 2nd favorite on this trip behind Ballybunion and I didn't expect it to be.  We had another howling wind day but a great caddie helped me navigate it.  The front was fairly straight forward and without dunes but the back navigated through some great dunes with wonderful holes.  The views are 2nd only to Old Head.  The water looked like the Caribbean with lots of different shades of blue.

Waterville - Best logo on the trip and a good golf course.  They have a huge pro shop and are taking advantage of that great logo with shop sales.  The course was a good layout but it missed the wow factor of the others.  Maybe the dunes weren't as big?  Maybe it was day 7 and I was tired? 

Rankings:
Old Head is in a different league due to the views - not the best layout, but an amazing experience.
1 - Ballybunion
2 - Tralee
3 - Lahinch
4 - Doonbeg
5 - Waterville
6 - Dooks
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Jeff Schley

Re: Ballybunion - my new favorite & other thoughts on SW Ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
Chad.... i was there in early June and had great weather for hte most part.  Ballybunion too was our favoirite.  One aspect that both Lahinch, Doonbeg, Ballybunion etc. have there which I love is manicured walking paths which make it such a nice walk.  Level, soft and wide to walk side by side wit your playing partners.  Very nice aspect and I’m sure it takes quite a bit of maintenance.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim_Weiman

Re: Ballybunion - my new favorite & other thoughts on SW Ireland
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
Chad,

You should say none of the other courses compare to Dooks.

Dooks is heaven.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back