News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

I'm not sure what the fine is but he earned it. Fess up. Who has broken a club? I broke one when I was 16 and stupid. It cost me two weeks of no golf.

He's no Bo Jackson though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxiGyqIO6Ew
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:28:02 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JMEvensky

Snapped a putter when I was 13 and my father made me pay for a new one. Expensive lesson learned--I haven't broken a club in anger since.

Marty Bonnar

So far off-topic, you should be ashamed.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John McCarthy

Three and they all had it coming.  But when I broke my driver at 19 I could not afford to replace it until 23.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tommy Williamsen

You have a point but I'm too old for shame. Just thought we could have a little fun.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

not strong enough. Also can't throw far enough to lose one.   But I did lose control of the grip on a wet day and club went over a hedge onto a main road.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:45:50 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Ken Moum

You have a point but I'm too old for shame. Just thought we could have a little fun.

I'm not so sure how far OT it is. Certainly there are GCA features that could drive your frustration level high enough to break a club.

IIRC, I've broken three.

One thrown at a little sapling when I was a teen, playing my parents. Not a great idea.

One "by accident" when I smacked the ground after chunking a chip.

And one in a display of petulance about something my wife said.

All stupid.

FWIW, I think Bobby Jones once said something like, "Golf sometimes raises emotions that cannot be sustained with the club still in ones hand."

If the game doesn't occasionally make you crazy enough to act like a fool, you're not trying hard enough.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mark Smolens

Are you talking on purpose or in the course of play? One of the former but three of the latter

Duncan Cheslett

I've never broken a club, but I did once make my putter stand on the naughty step for a week.

Matthew Rose

Yes, once, exactly like Stenson. I'd say age 17 or 18. Not my proudest moment.

It was a Ping Zing sand wedge and I absolutely hated it. I'm sure I bladed it at least once out of every two times I used it. After one particularly bad example of this on a par-five where I was just in front of the green in two shots, I'd had enough.

To this day I think it still sits in my parents basement somewhere, in two pieces.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:16:35 AM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

archie_struthers

::)   yes, more than a few stupidly, not many last 5 years

it does bring to mind a good throw story. A fellow threw his club into the bushes on #14 at Pine Valley after fatting one off the tee into the water. Famous caddy /raconteur Rocky Carbone immediately quipped ...."better throw a provisional don't think we will find that one"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:41:22 AM by archie_struthers »

John Kavanaugh

I broke my last club in 1976 and have found more creative ways of disposal since. I have sold so many clubs around town for so cheap that it once wasn't uncommon for people to come to me before eBay became popular. One hard luck fellow had just gotten out of prison so I gave him a set of offensive Tommy Armours for doing a little yard work. He was particularly proud of that set and always thanked me when I saw him out at the club. One day he was in at the bar and I asked him why he wasn't playing. Seems he had lost his clubs, in the river no less. His live in at the time caught him picadilloing an acquaintance at a local motel. Lesson learned. If you are going to keep your clubs in a trunk of a car, make sure it's your car.

archie_struthers

8)

good one JAKA

Peter Pallotta

I'm embarrassed to say how old I was when I threw a driver deep into the woods and another time a wedge deep into a pond. Let's just say I wasn't yet the calm and thoughtfully mature fellow I am today.
I'm very grateful to Henrik for showing me that even a +8 Icemen from northern Europe can be made as irrationally angry by this game as an average hack from southern Italy.

Ira Fishman

I'm not sure what the fine is but he earned it. Fess up. Who has broken a club? I broke one when I was 16 and stupid. It cost me two weeks of no golf.

He's no Bo Jackson though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxiGyqIO6Ew

In an era where the newest star often is labeled with superlatives, it is easy to forget what a singularly supreme athlete Bo Jackson was before his injuries.

Ira

Jim_Kennedy

Two, and to parrot John McCarthy, they both had it coming.

One was a Cobra gap wedge that would snap fade the ball at the most inappropriate times. After a particularly nasty I said to my friend Bill that I was going to give the damn thing away, and he asked why would I give anyone such an obviously possessed club....so I snapped it instead and drowned the two halves in the same pond that held my ball.

The other was a one iron that a player violently threw without looking where it might go. It came right at me but was deflected by my stand bag, so I picked it up, snapped it across my knee, dropped the pieces on the ground, shouldered my bag and walked off.

p.s. I can't fault Stenson, he's an artist, and every now and then you need to break something, ala Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie VanHalen, or even Bluto.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:30:04 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

Add me to the "yes" list, in addition to having chucked a few into various water hazards.

Perhaps the better question is, who hasn't?

Pat Burke

Plain and pure temporary psychosis

I was an offender

Sometimes the clubs just had it coming

Tom_Doak

I have never broken one of my own clubs in anger, although the airlines have broken three of them over the years.

I'm not counting when the heads started flying off my old Ping Eye-2 irons after 15-20 years of poor care, rust, etc.

Dave McCollum

Did a high Arnie-like toss of a wedge on a finishing hole that stayed up in a tree.  Left it there until night and a few libations made it seem a good idea to go fetch.  Today I probably wouldn't toss it, but if I did, we'd see how long it stayed on its perch. 

Tommy Williamsen

I forgot. About twenty-five years ago I was playing a match at Caroline CC on MD's eastern shore. I hit a ball into the woods and had a clear shot to the green about 200 yards away. I carried a one iron in those days. The problem was that if I took a full swing I would hit a tree on my follow through. My partner said, "Hit the shot. I'll pay for the club to get reshafted." I hit the shot, broke the club, but he didn't pay.
St. John of the Cross

Joe Bausch

I’ll let my friend Mike Cirba tell a story about a club throw by a kid from his high school golf team.  It is special.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brad Tufts

I've broken two playing, both at the range...a ladies PW head when I was 13 where literally the metal on the head cracked and flew downrange, and another broke between my hands under the grip.

Broken one in anger during a practice round in college with a turf slam after missing a green...and I was -1 at the time through 12...felt like such an idiot I walked in to punish myself...had to use a foreign replacement wedge for a few tournaments.  That was the last time...now if I get hot I just drop it, although I admit to a couple helicopter-along-the-ground tosses over the years.

Back when I started playing competitively in HS, I used to love a club toss from an opponent, I guarantee I was undefeated in matches where I saw a club toss.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Peter Sayegh

Smart enough not to snap one on a body part. Ticked enough to helicopter one. Lakewood CC. Told the pro if it ever came down from the tree, burn it or give it to a junior.

Dave McCollum

Add me to the "yes" list, in addition to having chucked a few into various water hazards.

Perhaps the better question is, who hasn't?

Yeah, reading this thread has revived some memories of other tosses of mine.  I quit throwing clubs when I almost hit a friend.  My favorite toss was by a playing partner who hit a shot with a fairway wood, calmly replaced the head cover, and threw it into a tree.  Nice of him to be so considerate to the kid who climbed the tree and didn't have to buy a head cover for his new club. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back