News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

How is the good course distinguished from the poor one?
« on: July 28, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
That is a line I have lifted from this article (I believe penned by prolific Philly golf writer William Evans) from the February 11, 1912 edition of the Public Ledger:

Is this article true today?  Does it need an update?  I encourage any of the architects on the site to modify any of the 8 points, or maybe add a 9th!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom_Doak

Re: How is the good course distinguished from the poor one?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »
9.  Strike points 4 and 5 from the record.   ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
Makes me think, Joe, of the underlying ethos (then and now) that sees golf as a sport as opposed to a game, both for amateur-recreational golfers and pro-competitive ones alike.
The difference might be that, back then, these two distinct classes of golfers were treated alike in terms of what constituted a good golf course, with the amateur-recreational ones accepting (and accommodating themselves to) this treatment and the high scores that went with it. 
Today, on the other hand, there’s a bifurcation both in golf course architecture and in the expectations held by the two classes of golfers, ie there is now one kind of good course for those who consider golf a sport, and a different kind of good course for those who consider golf a game.
I think the best architects and many thoughtful golfers (recreational & competitive ones alike) are trying to design and looking to play golf courses that bridge this divide, or transcend it altogether.
P

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:43:16 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »
When I saw the title I thought that this is what 20 years of golfcourseatlas.com is all about.

Thomas Dai

James Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
I don’t think you need a whole lot of bunkers to build a great course. 

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 01:38:40 AM »
10. Strike 2 and 3.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:15:19 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 05:34:00 AM »
Point #1 is essentially the ethos of the bomb and gouge mentality.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Bob Montle

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
Strike 1,2,3,4,5
I agree with the rest.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »
It is just opinion.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
9.  The routing and locations should accommodate the efficient passage of golfers from green to next tee.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe_Tucholski

Re: How is the good course distinguished from the poor one? New
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 01:17:31 PM »
I thought a good course was based on the following:

1) holes pose a variety of risks and rewards and equally test length, accuracy and finesse
2) difficult, while still being fair, for a scratch player from the back tees
3) varied holes in differing lengths, configurations, hazard placements, green shapes and green contours
4) the design features provide individuality to each hole yet a collective continuity to the entire 18
5) the scenic values of the course add to the pleasure of a round
6) firm, fast and rolling fairways, firm yet receptive greens and true roll of putts on the day you played the course
7) the overall feel and atmosphere of the course reflect or uphold the traditional values of the game

;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:22:27 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »
I’ve become Captain Obvious, but:
The Tiger & the Rabbit
Grant the Tiger the benefits and privileges befitting his status, but allow the Rabbit a fighting chance — while not making the concessions to his weaknesses so obvious as to offend his rabbity pride.
In my limited experience of golf courses and quality gca, that’s a balance that seems very difficult for architects to achieve.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
Peter,

Whenever you use that analogy, I think about The Hedgehog and The Fox, which I think might apply here too.  There is one big idea: make a golf course that virtually all golfers would want to play many times over, but there are many different ways to produce that result, particularly given the variety of land forms, turf, and weather out there.  And there is no "formula" for doing so--not even MacKenzie's 13 Principles (although they are pretty darn good).

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back