News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

SW Ireland Trip Booked - looking for lesser known gems
« on: May 30, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »
I am taking 32 guys to SW Ireland in July.  We are booked at the following:
Doonbeg
Lahinch
Ballybunion
Old Head
Dooks
Tralee
Waterville

I could possibly add a 2nd round before playing Lahinch - has anyone played Kilkee, Kilrush or Spanish Point (9 holes)?

I could possibly add a 2nd round before Old Head - looking at places around Killarney. How good is Killarney Golf & Fishing?  Any other suggestions?  This day is unlikely to add a 2nd round due to Old Head's punishment it will give me.

I could possibly add a 2nd round when we play Tralee - anyone played Ballyheigue Castle (9 holes)?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Jeff Schley

Re: SW Ireland Trip Booked - looking for lesser known gems
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
I am taking 32 guys to SW Ireland in July.  We are booked at the following:
Doonbeg
Lahinch
Ballybunion
Old Head
Dooks
Tralee
Waterville

I could possibly add a 2nd round before playing Lahinch - has anyone played Kilkee, Kilrush or Spanish Point (9 holes)?

I could possibly add a 2nd round before Old Head - looking at places around Killarney. How good is Killarney Golf & Fishing?  Any other suggestions?  This day is unlikely to add a 2nd round due to Old Head's punishment it will give me.

I could possibly add a 2nd round when we play Tralee - anyone played Ballyheigue Castle (9 holes)?

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll be there next week and hitting some of the same you are.  Here is another idea, why not play 2 rounds at one of the great ones? Especially with so many guys I like playing the best place a couple times.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 06:00:15 PM »
For a group of 32 guys, the definite answer is to play Cork Golf Club as your second round in the south, assuming they would have you.  The setting is a mixture of links and parkland and quarry which most golfers find intriguing, and there's a good chance you will wind up interacting with the members who are a fun group.

Killarney is set on the lakefront looking at mountains - it's very pretty on a good day, but also pretty miserable if it's raining and windy, as it would be wet underfoot.  That would be the choice if it was a couples' trip, but for 32 guys, it's Little Island, as Cork is affectionately known.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »
Tom is spot on(and 32 guys is pretty unwieldy) with his recomendations of Kilarney or Cork GC
i personally have a soft spot for Killarney Mahoney's Point(beautiful), but I have played Cork and it's quite good as well.
a matter of logistics

near Tralee-visit Dingle town and/or play Castlegregory(9)
This is a no brainer to me as it's a great town and Catlegregory is fun and a links.
Dingle is not to be missed as a town and the golf course is undiscovered and low key.
Stunning drive onto Dingle peninsula

I've played Spanish Point and it's just OK, not as good as Castlegregory
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
Chad, as someone who has planned and organized ten trips to Ireland and Scotland, let me share what I have learned.  Don't look for additional courses to play. Rather, select your top course (or two) and play them twice.

I promise you that your group will walk off the 18th green at BB  (Old) or Lahinch and say they would like to play it again! l'll bet your group will relish this opportunity. (They''ll score so much better on the second time around... :) )

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 02:29:33 AM »
Bill is correct in general

However, I would indeed go with Cork GC along with Old Head. No one really wants to play Old Head twice.

For the Lahinch day, it is a no-brainer: you play it twice or you play the 2nd course (The Castle) which accommodates the ground where much of the original course was.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
Come to Cork GC, it's very good at the moment!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

OChatriot

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
Old Head and Cork are not really SW Ireland...
If I were you I'd drop them all together, I find the West coast courses are superior to those two. OK old Head is dramatic, but not a great course. Also always have better weather on the west coast.
And if you don't know the Irish roads...it might waste a lot of time!

The suggestions to play twice the best ones are by far the most sensible. Play both Lahinch yes, and both Ballybunions too if you can for the fabulous views and fun of Cashen rollercoaster. You won't forget it. It makes sense to minimise the transfers too.
Same applies for Tralee, you might even want to play it twice, as the back nine knocks you out first time, you don't know how to play it and it can leave you frustrated. Some of the best views there too.  Unforgettable.
For Tralee and Cashen, just leave the scorecards in the bag...or play a friendly team format.
Castle Greggory is cool and in a beautiful setting.
Dooks is a good choice, old style, quaint, marvellous; and if you have a bit of time, take the road across the mountains for Waterville. Stunning.
Forget Ballyheigue. And yes Killarney is a nice setting, but not as good as the others. The weather changes quickly on the coast, but because of the MacGillycuddy's it can be very wet inland...

And near Tralee book yourselves into the Oyster Tavern, fresh fish aplenty!
Have a great trip

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back