News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Best Club with the Best Course in the U.S.
« on: May 25, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
What Is the best club/course combo in the United States?

I'll start...

OAKMONT
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Best Club with the Best Course in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
I'll go a different direction. We all know about the Oakmonts, Winged Foots, etc. I'll go with Hidden Creek in NJ.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 08:10:23 PM »
Why Hidden Creek?   

I certainly enjoyed the golf course.  Is it a cultural thing?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
Why Hidden Creek?   

I certainly enjoyed the golf course.  Is it a cultural thing?

I just loved the entire feel of the place from the course, grounds, clubhouse, staff, and members that I met.
There are a bunch of other places I could have mentioned. I used to belong to Four Streams outside DC. I loved everything about it.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:16:55 PM »
Nice!   I was very impressed by our Muccifest out there a while ago    Great vibe. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:18:55 PM »
I'll go with Hidden Creek in NJ.

There is a reason it got sold to The Dormie Club!!

Club = "an association or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/club

I would nominate:

1) Public - Philly Pub Links @ Cobbs Creek:

https://www.phillypublinks.com

William Flynn course, they raise money for golf scholarships https://www.phillypublinks.com/scholarship.htm, and they host and play lots of great tournaments - https://www.phillypublinks.com/history.htm

2) Private - United States Naval Academy Golf Course:

William Flynn course, they raise money for golf scholarships, they host and play lots of great tournaments, and they defend the United States Constitution :)

Cirba is a golf snob !!  :D 8) :-X ;)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

David_Madison

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »
Maybe not in the US but certainly in North Carolina... Old Town Club - fabulous golf course and the golf vibe is wonderful...comfortable, low key but very golf savvy

Cal Seifert

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Maybe not in the US but certainly in North Carolina... Old Town Club - fabulous golf course and the golf vibe is wonderful...comfortable, low key but very golf savvy

I second that.  Had a wonderful fall day there and the members and staff were nothing but kind and fun to be around. Seeing the course in the late fall when its running firm and fast made for a phenomonal day.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:38:38 PM »
+1

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »
Certainly no right answer...but I’m partial to the clubs that have long standing dictatorships in place like:
Sand Hills
Champions
Friars Head. 

Something appeals to me about a club/course theme developed and implemented by a skilled owner with a strong golf background.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
I wish I knew.
But I came across the Bob Hope quip about Cypress Point:
'Cypress Point recently had a membership drive -- they drove out 40 members'.
That must be a great club-course, except only for a very few.

Bill Charles

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
I'll go with Hidden Creek in NJ.

There is a reason it got sold to The Dormie Club!!

Club = "an association or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/club

I would nominate:

1) Public - Philly Pub Links @ Cobbs Creek:

https://www.phillypublinks.com

William Flynn course, they raise money for golf scholarships https://www.phillypublinks.com/scholarship.htm, and they host and play lots of great tournaments - https://www.phillypublinks.com/history.htm

2) Private - United States Naval Academy Golf Course:

William Flynn course, they raise money for golf scholarships, they host and play lots of great tournaments, and they defend the United States Constitution :)

Cirba is a golf snob !!  :D 8) :-X ;)

As I stated in the other thread....  the Dormie sales pitch :(

Tom Birkert

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 04:46:06 PM »
The Cal Club would have to enter the conversation in my humble opinion...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »
Olympic Club. Two courses. Spectacular practice course. Great clubhouse. History.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
A few stick out for me, in no particular order:

Merion
Garden City
Congaree
LedgeRock (I mean, I am a member there so I'm partial but one's club should feel that way IMO)

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 09:43:57 PM »
West of the Mississippi, Wilshire combines a great course with a really great membership.
On the East coast, Winged Foot is the ultimate golfers club

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
West of the Mississippi, Wilshire combines a great course with a really great membership.
On the East coast, Winged Foot is the ultimate golfers club

Was going to post Wilshire as well.
Good members, cool old course, well taken care of, and good pro and staff.

Tal Oz

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
Three of my favorites have already been mentioned: Cal Club, Wilshire, Winged Foot

Cal Club: might be a recency bias, the onsite lodging, the late night bar hangs, or the absolutely spectacular course. There was such a great atmosphere to the whole place. Who wouldn't want to wake up to this view? https://imgur.com/czBUyKX

Wilshire: I've been fortunate to play here dozens of times and the course is fun walk right in the middle of the city. That clubhouse and THAT patio is the perfect place to kick back with a stiff drink and watch the sunset. Never once have I felt as an outsider. LA gets a bad rap for being an uppity city, thankfully Wilshire avoids that entirely.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »

I read an article the other day that said the 3 best memberships in California are Cal Club, Madison Club and Lakeside. Fantastic memberships, like a fraternity. 

I'd add Maidstone to the list. To me the private ocean beach, pool, grass tennis courts, kids program, two golf courses is a great summer club.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
A number of years ago Anthony Kim was asked if he could play any course for the rest of his life what would it be - he said he would choose the muni course he played and learned the game because it was most important that he be with his buddies. I agree that the enjoyment of the company is more important than the quality of the course.  I want to know that I can go to the club at most anytime and get a game with someone who will be enjoyable to play with. There are many top notch clubs with really good courses but there is very little play so you have to bring others with you.

Alex Miller

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »

I read an article the other day that said the 3 best memberships in California are Cal Club, Madison Club and Lakeside. Fantastic memberships, like a fraternity. 

I'd add Maidstone to the list. To me the private ocean beach, pool, grass tennis courts, kids program, two golf courses is a great summer club.

Depends on how fratty your tastes are  ;)  BUT I was up there with Tal and can say that Cal Club is an awesome awesome place!

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
White Bear Yacht Club
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
White Bear Yacht Club

Pat, I almost mentioned WBYC. If there is a club in MSP/SP area I would want to join it is WBYC. The other might be Somerset Club. You're a fortunate man to be at such a great club.
St. John of the Cross

Bill Seitz

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »

I second that.  Had a wonderful fall day there and the members and staff were nothing but kind and fun to be around. Seeing the course in the late fall when its running firm and fast made for a phenomonal day.

Thirded.  Outside of my home course, it's probably my favorite course, and the Club was very cool as well.  I felt very welcome there as a guest.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
A lot of great nominations so far but I have to submit Saucon Valley outside of Bethlehem, PA. Three excellent courses, including the Old Course which will soon host the US Senior Open in 2022 with Phil! (Also has hosted US Am, US Mid Am, US Womens Open and other US Sr. Opens.)

On campus housing, indoor and outdoor tennis, squash, platform tennis, four pools and a 6 hole short course for kids and others to learn the game. Awesome summer camp for kids. Throw in what I have found to be an excellent, friendly membership.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back