News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Expanding the scope a bit outside of the immediate Philly area.

Anyone ever heard of a course up near Warren?  Would this have been located in the land that disappeared when the river was dammed?

Aug. 23, 1938 Warren Times Mirror -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

Another one, this time near Lake Carey up by Scranton with the design to be done by Seymour Dunn?

July 31, 1928 The Evening News -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

One more.  Any information on this club would be appreciated.

Aug. 9, 1930 Scranton Republican -

Nov. 30, 1931 Scranton Republican -

MCirba

From Dan Malley, a bit more about Paxon Hollow from the brochure the routing map (previously provided by Sven) was part of;

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

Sven,
I grew up near Scranton and have never heard of a golf course at Lake Carey, although I'm wondering if the article was either a misprint at "25 acres" with all of those amenities included, or if it was perhaps planned for a par three course?   In any case, can find no further mention of it beyond that article you found.
In the case of the "Fernwood Country Club" near Lake Aerial, I've reached out to a friend who lives near there to see what he knows about "Fernwood Lake" because I'm struggling to find such an entity.   Just east of Lake Aerial there is a fairly lengthy stretch known as "Golf Park Road", but looking back as far as a 1939 aerial there is no discernible golf course along that stretch.   

Scotty Robson did design Elmhurst Country Club which I played a number of times growing up but the only other mentions I can find of "Fernwood" was a 1932 advertisement saying the course was still under construction and referred to Robson as the contact.   I suspect the venture did not survive the Great Depression.   

Sven Nilsen

Another PA mystery, this time from the Northwest corner of the state.

There's a golf course near Conneaut Lake called Oakland Beach that was built in 1927 by Scott Robson, a familiar name in this thread.

July 3, 1927 Pittsburgh Press -

In early 1926 there were reports of a course being built for the Conneaut Lake Club, with the suggestion being that the architect was Seth Raynor.  The timing of this report is of interest, as it notes that work had already taken place on the course and that it coincides with Raynor's passing.

Feb. 7, 1926 Pittsburgh Daily Post -

A third article notes the opening of a course at Conneaut Lake park, again attributed to Robson.  Comparing the two 1927 articles (Oakland Beach and this one), it doesn't appear that they are discussing the same project.

Aug. 11, 1927 The News-Herald

So were these two separate projects?  Was Raynor ever involved with a course here?  Did Robson take over the project upon Raynor's passing?

MCirba

Sven,

Very interesting!

Will dig deeper soon as I'm able.

And who knew that Scotty Robson was one of the foremost golf architects in the country in the late 1920s??  ;)

Sven Nilsen

Sven,

Very interesting!

Will dig deeper soon as I'm able.

And who knew that Scotty Robson was one of the foremost golf architects in the country in the late 1920s??  ;)

Weren't they all?

MCirba

Sven,

Oakland Beach by Scott Robson still exists.   

Not surprisingly, they seem to believe that someone named Paul McGuire designed the golf course.    McGuire was the son of the folks who built the hotel there and managed the golf course before passing away in 1953.

https://www.oaklandbeach.com/aboutus/

I'll continue to dig regarding Conneaut Lake Club potential Raynor but looking at early aerials back to 1939 have not yielded much to date.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:40:42 AM by MCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back