News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Another Scotland Golf trip question
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:42:51 PM »
My group is relying upon me for next year's trip. I've come to understand that Scotland requires numerous visits, so I'll pick a region. (We fly from NYC.) How would you rank these options:

Dornoch, Brora, Nairn, Castle Stuart. Moray
Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Dundonald (we've done this one)
TOC, Kingsbarn, Carnoustie, St. Andrews New. Elie
TOC, Carnoustie, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Trump Aberdeen,
Muirfield, North Berwick, Gullane 1, Renaissance, Dunbar and Luffness New. (We'd stay in Graywalls.)

Thanks!

Daryl David

Re: Another Scotland Golf trip question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
The East Lothian itinerary would be my pick. Great base and great golf. You will not get any complaints.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »
Bill - they’re all good. You can go wrong with any of those lineups, but the Highlands would be my first choice... add Golspie.

How many days is your trip?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:30:32 AM »
Bill,

One of those options has 6 courses, the others 5.  As Mike asks, how many days?  They're all good (and all make sense from a travel point of view).  If members of your party haven't been to Scotland before, I'd go with the Fife one, so you can stay in St Andrews and they can experience the town.  I'd want to play the Eden, too and think of adding in Lundin, Leven or Crail.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:36:15 AM »
If you go to Scotland dont you have to go to TOC?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:04:44 AM »

Bill,

as I have said on numerous threads of a similar ilk it depends on what you are after. If you are 'belt notching' then the list looks fine though there are enough lesser known courses to suggest that your group might be open to other sugestions.

Dornoch, Brora, Nairn, Castle Stuart. Moray, Boat of Garten, Tain or Fortrose
[/color]Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Dundonald (we've done this one)
[/color]
[/color][/size]TOC, Kingsbarn, Carnoustie, St. Andrews New. Elie, Eden or even a trip to the Kings at Gleneagles[/color]
[/color]
[/color][/size]TOC, Carnoustie, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Trump Aberdeen, Fraserburgh, Murcar[/color]
[/color]
[/color][/size]Muirfield, North Berwick, Gullane 1, Renaissance, Dunbar and Luffness New. Kilspindie or Musselburgh Old (We'd stay in Graywalls.)[/color]
[/color][/size]

I have crossed out courses which are effectively built for the US golfer but then why come to Scotland and play the sort of golf you can get at home? The ones I have added are all much better experiences of private club golf in Scotland (except Gleneagles) and will give your group a more authentic taste of the game as it should be.

If you go for the Highland trip then get in touch and I give you a few local insider tips on what to do away from the golf.

Jon
[/color]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:28:29 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
FWIW...a group of 16 members from our club just returned from Scotland.

15/16 ranked Carnoustie at the bottom of their own rankings.

"Punishing", "Unremarkable landscape", "One and done", "Wished we had played somewhere else" were just some of the comments I heard.

Echos my sentiments.

Go for the Highlands experience.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
If you go to Scotland dont you have to go to TOC?

Nope
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:20:22 AM »
I would choose your East Lothian experience, but would add one day to travel to St. Andrews and play The Old Course and either the New or Jubilee on a 36 hole day.  Not hard to get there by train through Waverly Station and up to Leuchars.  You cold also play TOC and then spend the rest of the day in the town of St. Andrews.

Shelly Jones

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
I tend to agree with Daryl and would vote for the east Lothian courses. Greywalls is terrific too.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
I would choose your East Lothian experience, but would add one day to travel to St. Andrews and play The Old Course and either the New or Jubilee on a 36 hole day.  Not hard to get there by train through Waverly Station and up to Leuchars.  You cold also play TOC and then spend the rest of the day in the town of St. Andrews.

The only way you're getting on the Old course at this stage surely is via the ballot. What happens if you ballot and don't get a time?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I do not have set number of days. Four nights seems too short to go Scotland , five probably one night too many before 12 friends start to get on each other's nerves.  ;D

Relying on the ballot to get on TOC won't fly with this group. They'll make me sign up for the St. Andrews Experience.
I imagine that if I pick the Highlands or East Lothian trip, a few guys will extend their trip and find a way to get on TOC.

I'm leaning towards East Lothian trip because it is so close to the airport and Greywalls seems like a "can't miss" for a group that includes some fussy guys who don't care about the cost. I'd only make the trek up north if I was convinced the golf was that much better.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »
The advanced booking window for the Old Course for 2019 opens on Wednesday for two weeks. The results come out mid October, that gives you plenty of time to ammend your plans accordingly.

Check the busy dates, no point planning for days when the Old is closed!
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Senior

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
Bill,

If you make St. Andrews part of the trip (even if extended from East Lothian). Do yourself and the group a favor and make sure you play Lundin and Crail. The wonderful way we were treated and the "local Scots experience" was the highlight of my last trip to Scotland. I can't recommend it enough.
Checking off the big names is important to many but the experiences of some lesser know courses will be remembered forever!
Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
Bill,

If you make St. Andrews part of the trip (even if extended from East Lothian). Do yourself and the group a favor and make sure you play Lundin and Crail. The wonderful way we were treated and the "local Scots experience" was the highlight of my last trip to Scotland. I can't recommend it enough.
Checking off the big names is important to many but the experiences of some lesser know courses will be remembered forever!
Just my 2 cents.
Scott

I know Scott! I've been there myself, just not with this group.  So when I set these trips up I give them a big name or two, then try to surprise them with a lesser-known gem! :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »
i've yet to hear or see one poor Scotland golf itinerary.  I mean sure some are better than others, but can anymore come up with a lineup where peeps are like "what are you thinking, don't do that."

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
i've yet to hear or see one poor Scotland golf itinerary.  I mean sure some are better than others, but can anymore come up with a lineup where peeps are like "what are you thinking, don't do that."
Kingsbarns, Trump Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, Renaissance.  All fine courses.  Depending on your viewpoint they may be worth including on a visit to Scotland.  But a trip with just those courses would be lunacy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Kingsbarns, Trump Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, Renaissance.  All fine courses.  Depending on your viewpoint they may be worth including on a visit to Scotland.  But a trip with just those courses would be lunacy.

Mark,

I guess i'm confused, almost all of those show up on the "good" itineraries.  Maybe they are just the proverbial red headed step children.  But I've read generally positive comments about 3 of those 4

Brad Payne

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 04:03:02 PM »
Personally, I'd vote for the following:

TOC, Carnoustie, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Trump Aberdeen, Murcar
[/size][/color]
TOC and Cruden Bay were my favorite two courses and I played a lot on your list this summer.  The dunes land around Aberdeen is unlike anywhere else on your list, but maybe skip Trump (depending on your politics, views on his type of course, etc.) and play Murcar?
Founder and CEO, Walker Trolleys
We are creating the most beautiful, high-end golf push cart for the player, purist, aficionado that appreciates style, form and functionality and chooses to walk the game.
https://www.walkertrolleys.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

Mark,

I guess i'm confused, almost all of those show up on the "good" itineraries.  Maybe they are just the proverbial red headed step children.  But I've read generally positive comments about 3 of those 4

Kalen,

I would happily suggest any UK player visit those four if they feel like paying the fee as they are excellent courses but I suggest that US visitors might want to look at other options.

Jon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »
Jon,

I think that's kind of what i'm getting at.  While I'm sure they may not be a good bang for your buck, i'm guessing they are all still pretty darn good courses, even if they aren't the "best".

Its kinda like, if you all have access to is hamburgers and hot dogs, even a over priced fine chicken or fish dish is damn good, even if its not a filet mignon!  ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 03:47:50 AM »

Mark,

True.  But a visit to the UK for a US golfer which featured only those courses would be a real "WTF do you think you are doing moment?"  Wouldn't it?   Why fly all this way to enjoy a modern US take on what you are, presumably, coming here for.

Simon Holt

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »

Hi Bill,

If you're going to have any success with St Andrews and Muirfield you need to really get on with it.

Most operators worth their salt will be sold out of tee times on the Old for 2019, especially if you need 3 back to back.  Muirfield is sold out from early May to late Sept, unless you can get on through Greywalls which means no clubhouse access.

Demand for 2019 is unprecedented.  They are all great trips that you've laid out but the tail wags the dog when it comes to the Old and Muirfield.  Availability of the courses is probably going to dictate which of the groupings that you choose.

The advance ballot might be the best way for you to guarantee the Old at this stage.

Simon

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Bill Case

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
I am partial to the courses you mention in the Highlands.  I would also add Tain, Nairn Dunbar, Golspie,  and Fortrose & Rosemarkie as worthy additions to such an  itinerary. Braid and Old Tom are well represented in the north. The area strikes me as being remote yet civilized- a combination that I find most appealing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back