News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: Our Friend Bill McBride
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
Such sad news. Lucky to have met Bill back in 2013 at a Streamsong event and thoroughly enjoyed his friendship – both in person and here on GCA.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Philip Gawith

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
I am so sad to hear this news. Bill was just the nicest, truest human being you could ever hope to meet. We were all blessed to know him. To see Bill at a Buda event was to feel better about the world and reassured at the natural order. Taking him around Huntercombe will be a memory to treasure. My condolences to all his family and loved ones. We are all poorer today. Philip

Jason Topp

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »

Sad News.  Bill strongly supported the King's Putter and BUDA in the early days 15+ years ago, and continued on until the end.  I last played with him a year ago at Hilton Head and he was clearly not the man he used to  be, but he still was the life of the party, particularly when displayed his preternatural ability to describe great golf holes from memory, in great detail and with great accuracy.

We miss you Bill..

Just reposting Rich's post in larger font.

Doug Wright

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
I'm really saddened to hear this. Bill has been one of my favorite people on GolfClubAtlas.com for many years since first meeting him at the wonderful GCA outing we had in New Mexico.  What a warm, kind and caring individual. I'm going to miss you Bill.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

ward peyronnin

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
I am in touch with Drinkin Joe and he has promised me as soon as arrangements are know he will be in touch and I will post under a separate thread.

I had to sign off last night. The tears and emotions just overcame and I didn't want to blather. Plus I knew their would be so many tributes to take up my slack.

Bill was indeed the happy warrior. He relished quality and loyalty and passion. Good whiskey, good golf, fine dining ~ great atmosphere+friends+conversation with solid food a supporting factor., new places, connections. A Dormie House experience was far preferable to a Trump Resort cause of the patina and association and tradition. Everything said of his personality is so true. Not a snide bone in his body. No meanness but plenty of mischief. I can see his raised eyebrows oval lips and the lo but knowing "Ooaahhhh!" delivered with a rising tone signaling one of his many small epiphanys.

He knew so much golf related but wasn't overbearing or smug when sharing and as Rich relayed surprised those around him with such a broad and complete recall of courses over vast quantities of time. Not an idealogue but a catalyst to talking good architecture.

And he loved his family often referring reverently to his wife Kathleen over a trip.

God Bless Uncle Billy; an empty chair at Buda Cup dinners; whiskey toasts to a special pest to start the game afoot and other ways for us to pay tribute this May. This I pledge
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Thanks for setting me off again, Ward!
 :'(  but also  ;D
Sad and VERY happy memories. Might have to make a special trip to BUDA now.
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

SL_Solow

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »
Adding my condolences.  In thinking about the loss of our friend, I am struck by the impact one special  man had on a group of strangers throughout different parts of the world.  It speaks to the special characteristics of our departed friend.  But it also speaks to the unique nature of this site.  So many of us who would never have met have become friends through our shared interest in golf course architecture.  So while I mourn the loss of Bill, my appreciation of the friendships I have made here and of this site has grown.  I will try to remind myself the next time I become engaged in a heated argument that I am lucky to be part of this unique community and, perhaps, temper my remarks.  I am only sorry that Bill will no longer be able to participate.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
I think Ward captured it with the title of this thread "Our Friend." I'm not sure that I can add anything more to the thoughts that others have provided. Bill was both a personal friend to many here and also a friend in the universal sense of the word. I was fortunate to play with Bill at three Dixie Cups (Chechessee Creek, Kinloch, and Dormie Club). When things went sideways for Bill on the golf course he understood the "rub of the green" and would give a wry smile or laugh. Many people have an online persona that people say "when you meet he/she in person they really are a great person." Well this wasn't the case with Bill. What he was online was what he was in person. I don't remember him having a cross word with any one but always could leave someone thinking if he wanted.

I tried to think of a quote that would fit well with Bill and it would be Harvey Penick's "and if you play golf, you're my friend." Bill was indeed a friend to all.

Rest in Peace

Brad Swanson

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »
Very sad.  Great memories with Bill at the 1st Dixie Cup and Land of Enchantment way back.  Condolences for his family.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
I blew it. I took pictures at Bill's summer home course, Columbia Edgewater, in Portland last summer. I had always looked forward to posting them and getting Bill's commentary. I finally got to it last night and when I went to the New Topic button, Ward had just started this thread. What a shocker. RIP Ace McBride.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2018, 09:50:38 PM »
such a great guy who had that "magic" of loving golf and being with his buddies who also loved golf
It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »
He knew the game. He knew how to smile. And he could remember a golf hole or two...

Not a bad sentence or two out of a chapter in a book about a life well lived. He’ll not be soon forgotten.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Benham

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

James Boon

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:41 AM »

I got a text from Ben Stephens yesterday telling me that Bill had passed away, which like with many of you certainly got the day off to a horrid start. I first met Bill at the 2010 Buda at Royal Porthcawl and Pennard, and went up against him and his good friend Joe in the fourball with my friend Ben. The following year, my second Buda, at Hankley and Liphook, Bill was there again and again I was lucky enough to get a game with him. The beauty of Buda is also the time spent talking to fellow GCAers before and after, and as a relative newcomer to the event Bill was more than welcoming and great to spend time with. Though I wouldnt get to see him again at Buda thanks to modern technology we did often exchange messages on Facebook and I always hoped that Bill would one day make it across the pond to join us all...

I've not posted photos on here for quite some time, but thinking back to those first two Buda Cups that I attended and my time with Uncle Bill has made me sort myself out and learn how to post photos again, so here goes...

The first tee at Liphook, Bill surrounded by his friends:
DSC00057 by James Boon, on Flickr

The 11th green at Liphook, Bill and Lou, which naturally means I lost...
DSC00043 by James Boon, on Flickr

RIP Uncle Bill

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2018, 05:43:55 AM »
[size=78%]The first tee at Liphook, Bill surrounded by his friends:[/size]

This is a wonderful picture and I feel lucky to have played at an unheralded hidden gem that was Liphook GC by Arthur Croome who was Tom Simpson's mentor which pleasantly surprised me also standing on the first tee with GCA luminaries from left Craig Disher (yellow shirt), myself, Our Dear Leader Ran, Ace/Uncle Bill (RIP), Drinking Joe and Peter Mallelieu (RIP). Which also brings me to mention Jim Goby (RIP) who I had the privilege of playing foursomes with at Hankley on the previous day we got on by talking about Rugby which was another interest of mine.

Boy if I had the chance of going back for another GCA day it would be this one. The following day Jim beat the mighty Philip Gawith in a David vs Goliath match. So many memories and one of which was Bill's huge smile.

Ran - is there any chance that we can have a page on GCA dedicated to one who have contributed to GCA in the past so that they are never forgotten

Agree with Ward - that there should be an empty chair at BUDA dinner every year in tribute to Bill McBride (as well as Jim Goby/Peter Mallelieu)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:10:58 AM by Ben Stephens »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »

Ran - is there any chance that we can have a page on GCA dedicated to one who have contributed to GCA in the past so that they are never forgotten.

Ran has the names of Contributors who have passed here in italics:

http://golfclubatlas.com/contributions/

However, we could probably upgrade that.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Chris Mavros

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
I'm really sad to learn that Bill is no longer with us.  I first met Bill a few years ago at my first GCA event and he was one of the most welcoming and easy to talk to people I have come across.  It turned out we went to the same college and at that point we shared endless stories about our time there.  I saw him again at a 5th major a couple years ago and picked up right where we left off.  Such a terrific guy whose joy for life was infectious. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »
Typical of a great guy...my last communications with him (never shook hands) were my thanks for his contributions to Bald For Bucks. He always gave to the effort. In his memory, I'll do it again this year.

http://give.roswellpark.org/site/TR/BaldforBucks/General?px=1078175&pg=personal&fr_id=1270

I'm also struck, at age 52, by the reaction of colleagues and friends to folks who fit the description "Hail fellow, well met." Mr. Bill seems to be that guy in spades, and I hope that we all become a bit more well met in our time together on this site. The fellow I met last summer was Dean Paolucci in New Jersey, and that was rewarding beyond words for me.

I'll be in Alabama from March 23 to 29, and already have two fellows from this august brethren scheduled. If anyone in that state (more northern part than southern) wishes to get together for some golf or good cheer, PM/DM me.

Rest in grace, Bill McBride.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:52:21 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

George Pazin

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
[size=78%]The first tee at Liphook, Bill surrounded by his friends:[/size]

Boy if I had the chance of going back for another GCA day it would be this one. The following day Jim beat the mighty Philip Gawith in a David vs Goliath match. So many memories and one of which was Bill's huge smile.

When I teed it up with Bill in Pensacola, he always shared stories about his experiences at the BUDA. The smile on his face and I joy in his voice were something to behold. I don't remember the details, but will always remember the happiness.

Shel (SL_Solow, for any newer posters) is right (always is...🙂), this site is very special in its ability to make connections between terrific posters. Thanks, Ran, and thanks everyone.

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Hoylake was my first Buda and people looked after me.  I can't recall a fraction of the matches since but day 1 I played my first ever  foursomes match with Jim Goby against the McBride's. It finished a tie and I can remember so much including Bill's laughter when he saw his ball embedded half way up the face of a revetted bunker.

It was Bill I have to thank for getting me on The Valley Club, never got to host him back.

A smile to remember for the ages, and it perfectly sums up the man.

My thoughts are with his family.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:39:01 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »

Ran - is there any chance that we can have a page on GCA dedicated to one who have contributed to GCA in the past so that they are never forgotten.

Ran has the names of Contributors who have passed here in italics:

http://golfclubatlas.com/contributions/

However, we could probably upgrade that.

I am not sure Ben meant financially Mike

George Pazin

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »
I believe Mike was referring to the fact that posters who contributed and passed away are listed in italics.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
Very sad news!  I never met Bill, but always enjoyed his perspective on golf!  My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Bret

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2018, 12:54:29 PM »
On a golf trip - I believe that one's primary responsibility is to have fun and to allow others to enjoy the experience.

This seemingly simple responsibility is much more difficult to accomplish than one might think.  There is something about those trips that seems to exaggerate difficult aspects of personalities, heighten disappointment when something inevitably goes awry, and create clashes of expectations.

One of the things I love about GCA outings is that many of the participants are seasoned travelers.  While we all have our quirks, most of the sharp edges have been rounded off through past experience with poor play, travel snafus and poor weather.  We have learned that the time together is the part of the trip that one will remember and that the most screwed up trip can often yield the most treasured memories.

Bill was the epitome of the great GCA travel companion.  He seemed to always have a good time.  He made you feel good about yourself.  I doubt I could name the courses I visited with him but I will always treasure his smile, laugh and my happiness at seeing him again in some new part of the world.

Rest well Bill.  I will miss you.

Beautifully put, Jason.

Couldn't agree more.

Apparently I just missed Bill at the 2016 BUDA - he was in, then had to withdraw. A missed connection I will long regret.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
This is sad news. I saw Bill twice in 2016. First at Sand Hills and then later in the year in Pensacola.

He was such a gentleman, had such a positive attitude and was extremely great to be around.

I had to be in Mobile for work and I reached out to Bill a bit before then. He said he wasn't feeling the best and wasn't up for playing. But he insisted that I come over. He set me up for a round with his buddy Moose and drove around in a cart with us as we played. He talked about the course, made sure I had a great time, showed me around the club and introduced me to everybody, bought beer afterwards, refused to let me pay the guest fee.

He was such a wonderful man who was kind and treated people with respect. If everyone could be more like Bill, the world would be a better place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back