News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: 25 Courses That Offer The Most Bang For Your Buck
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 11:56:42 AM »
Bang for your buck is problematic proposition because its so relative....

The best bang for my buck, which I doubt will ever be surpassed, was getting to play Cypress for ~$250.

I think these lists need to stick to "The nifty fifty for under 50" or something like that. 

Adam T

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »
I could not agree more regarding Shenny and Aiken. I have also found a few $15 deals on Golf Now lately at Keith Hills that feels like robbery!

I played LuLu last week for $35.
End of discussion.

Good example.

Interesting to see a list with 6 courses in the $100 plus range mainly in pretty rural and even remote areas.
and a few even $120-130. Must be really good courses if that's value.
But at that price (and "value" measure)you might as well include Bandon or Streamsong

Most of these courses can't hold a candle to Shennecossett or Aiken Golf Club-about $35 and $25 walking in season.Even Central and south Florida have better value than these in season. (West Palm Beach and Ocala GC)

A few good entries but mostly just back scratching lazy (and probably paid )hype

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »
I could not agree more regarding Shenny and Aiken. I have also found a few $15 deals on Golf Now lately at Keith Hills that feels like robbery!

It feels like robbery because it likely is.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »

It feels like robbery because it likely is.

It's an absolutely losing proposition to the owner/operator.

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
Uh, hello?  Spring Valley in Salem, WI.  Langford on a great piece of property.  $18 all day rate to walk.  #micdrop
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:17:29 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
Mark Twain in upper New York is such a great deal that I had to lie to my friends about the cost to get them to go there. Told them it would be $140...forgot to mention that was for the four of us. Turned out to be our favorite must return on the trip.

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
Mark Twain in upper New York is such a great deal that I had to lie to my friends about the cost to get them to go there. Told them it would be $140...forgot to mention that was for the four of us. Turned out to be our favorite must return on the trip.

Wish I knew you were heading there John.  There are a few other similar bang for buck courses very nearby like Soaring Eagles.

In fact, upstate NY is a virtual gold mine of hidden gems due largely to glacial micro-contours.   Don't get me started on cool old nine-holers up there.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V_Halyard

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
Ha!
No list is ever perfect for all!
Big Lawsonia and Ravisloe fan and plug for Wisconsin's Washington County GC.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
Ravisloe
Ocala gc
Champion Hills
Palatka

Ha!
No list is ever perfect for all!
Big Lawsonia and Ravisloe fan and plug for Wisconsin's Washington County GC.

Vaughn,

You have exceptional taste.  I'm up for a Rav round anytime!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »

Wish I knew you were heading there John.  There are a few other similar bang for buck courses very nearby like Soaring Eagles.

In fact, upstate NY is a virtual gold mine of hidden gems due largely to glacial micro-contours.   Don't get me started on cool old nine-holers up there.

Can I get you started with the 9 hole list in Upstate NY?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »
Kankakee Elks is probably the best value in Illinois, especially when you take into account the fact that it's usually not very crowded, and fairly well maintained.   Tops out at $30 walking, but I can't remember ever paying more than about $15.  Who needs bunkers anyway?  Spring Valley is a little cheaper, but probably a little more crowded and not quite as well maintained, but still a fantastic value.

Aside from a few outliers, this list seemed to focus more on bang than buck.  Though Old Works for $100 all day is a pretty darn good deal if you're up for a full day of golf.
Hard to top Kankakee Elks for value unless some course is paying you to play there almost.  Didn't get there this summer as I was busy almost everyday I was back in Chicago area this summer, but like to get at least a round or two in when I am. Wonderful track and for the price as stated in this thread probably the best I have played.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
Dollar for dollar I can't imagine you can get more 'architecture' or more consistently clever, engaging but understated features over an entire 18 hole round of golf than you can at The Mines, Mike Devries' course in Grand Rapids.  It's a wonderful primer in designing and building a true (public) golfer's golf course -- and at about $30 or so to play, it gave me more bang for the buck than I've ever had, before or since.
Peter   

Greg Gilson

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 10:40:01 PM »
Barnbougle Dunes & Lost Farm in Tasmania. Both legitimate world Top 100 courses for around US$80 Green fee. If someone can beat that cost:quality ratio I want to see it.

Mark_F

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 04:06:58 AM »
Barnbougle Dunes & Lost Farm in Tasmania. Both legitimate world Top 100 courses for around US$80 Green fee. If someone can beat that cost:quality ratio I want to see it.

You forgot to add the substantial cost of flying there from mainland Australia, Greg - $200 for a late week return -  as well as car hire and overnight stay, which are going to cost you another $250 a day. Assuming one round on each course, that's actually about $650 for two rounds of golf.

St Andrews Beach is better, and only costs $72 for a green fee, and $30 in petrol for most Melburnians (who are the only people that count in Australia anyway).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:11:48 AM by Mark Ferguson »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
Here are the main season visitor full prices for some cool courses - see various photo tours herein for how good these courses are. Indeed a game can be had for less if your a member of an English club and have an English County Card.

Kington - £34/weekend, £28/midweek
Cleeve Cloud/Hill - £20/weekend, £18/midweek
Minchinhampton Old - £24/weekend, £20/midweek
Welshpool - £30/weekend, £25/midweek

Pretty damn good value considering the quality of the golf and the likelihood of a quiet game played in gorgeous countryside at a good pace.

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back