News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Kearns

Kansas City recommendations
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:42:15 PM »
It looks like I will be heading down to Kansas City on August 21st to view the total solar eclipse and will be spending a few days in the area.  Any recommendations on some decent golf in the area?

Thanks in advance for any information.

TK

JWinick

Re: Kansas City recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:43:07 PM »
Drive two hours and play Prairie Dunes!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
Prairie Dunes jumped out at me initially, but with the eclipse happening on Monday, it will be a weekend round and that's a tough ask at a private club.  It's 6.5 hours round trip to Prairie Dunes, I don't think I can disappear on my family for a whole day.

TK

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
GET yourself to Swope Park!
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »
Swope Park is a no brainer.  Tillinghast design on a great property, really well maintained, and very inexpensive.  It's a great walk and really fun to play.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
Hillcrest was pretty neat...played it a few years ago.  Donald Ross course that is similar to Swope Park, which is also good.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Swope Memorial is so good that Cirba played it with me days after the election and never stopped smiling. It's a mood changer.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:26:13 AM by John Kavanaugh »

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
Swope Memorial is so good that Cirba played it with me days after the election and never stopped smiling. It's a mood changer.

Jakab is correct on all counts.

I am actually back in KC typing this right now and played Hillcrest and Shoal Creek this week and possibly will play Fred Arbanas GC before I leave because I'm an old AFL fan.

I recommend a visit to Hillcrest to supplement Swope Park.  Needs some tree pruning but has rolling land similar to Swope and a cool Ross routing with good greens.

Enjoy and please report back.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »

That is saying something, it must be good!!

TK

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll play Swope Memorial as I'm headed to the Royals game that afternoon and it is a short commute.

TK

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »
Can anyone provide thoughts about Sycamore Ridge? I'm planning to play Swope next week and want to play one more. Sycamore was suggested by the friend I am visiting.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
Can anyone provide thoughts about Sycamore Ridge? I'm planning to play Swope next week and want to play one more. Sycamore was suggested by the friend I am visiting.

Stewart,

I've played all over in Kansas City and hadn't even heard of Sycamore Ridge. Their website says its "the #1 course in KC as ranked by Golf Digest" Interesting in that I've never seen a GD list that ranks courses by city, and its not listed as a best in State in KS either.

Next to Swope my favorite public is Stone Canyon in Blue Springs on the Missouri side. Maybe 15 minutes from Swope.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
Make sure you get your fill of BBQ... The original Oklahoma Joe's, Q39, and LC's are all-world BBQ spots!
H.P.S.

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
Fred Arbanas GC is a hidden gem.  I am on the 17th tee right now.

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »
Played Hillcrest, Shoal Creek, and Fred Arbanas this past week.

Did I mention that Fred Arbanas GC is a hidden gem?   I did a search on "Arbanas" only to find that no one has ever posted a word here about the course, which has been in existence since 1986.

Am I the only GCA-er to ever play there? 

Also, I would recommend to anyone to play the Swope Park/Hillcrest twosome, which are only about a mile apart.   Tilly and Ross next door to each other on some great land...how cool is that??   :D

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »
Stewart,

Here you go:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57068.msg1328846.html#msg1328846

Tyler,

When will you be arriving in August?  Coincidently, I will be in Winnipeg this Wednesday and have to go to Quebec the week of August 21st.

Let me know.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:50:14 PM by Jason Hines »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:33 PM »
Jason,

The plan is to arrive Saturday (Aug. 19), later in the day.  Play golf early Sunday morning at Swope, head out to see the Royals/Indians game.  View the total solar eclipse on Monday, head back home that night or Tuesday morning.

TK

Steve Fekety

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »
Anyone interested in meeting up?  I am going to be in town the week of May 21st and am hoping to "par"take in the Swope/Hillcrest combo.  I plan to play an afternoon round on 5/22/18 and an early morning round on 5/23/18.  Let me know if anyone wants to buddy up!

Steve 

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »
Steve,

Enjoy! 

I buddied up with John Kavanaugh at Swope Park about 18 months ago and we had a blast.

Glad you are taking advantage of the Hillcrest/Swope Ross/Tilly duo in very close proximity.

If time permits, don't overlook a visit to Fred Arbanas GC.   

Jason Hines

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

Sorry I cannot make those days but do report back.  I have tried to play Swope twice but both times cancelled because of weather.

Steve Fekety

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
Alright Kansas City people.  Last chance for a meet up. 

I booked Hillcrest for 2:30 on May 22nd and Swope Memorial for 7:39 on May 23rd.  Add your name to the tee sheet or PM me and I will get you added. 

Steve

Steve Fekety

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 05:14:08 PM »
Jason,

I am happy to report that both Swope Memorial ($28) and Hillcrest CC ($29) exceeded my expectations.  Both of these courses are thriving and will get a replay from me next time I am in town.  Super fun golf on very hilly terrain.  Course conditions were good as well, the zoysia was starting to get healthy.  Greens were decent for public golf.  Swope was a little bumpy but they are adding sand to smooth them out. 

Thinking back on the two rounds, I can't remember a single par 4 or 5 where some part of the fairway wasn't blind.  The rolling hills are so cool.  It really is amazing how the bulldozer has changed architecture in the states.  I found myself wondering what the course would look like if it was built on the site today.  My conclusion was not nearly as cool...

The scorecard at Hillcrest calls it a Donald Ross masterpiece, and I can't disagree.  Just a great golf course with a cool routing.  The Tillinghast Swope Memorial was a little quirky in places, specifically the two par 5's on the front that don't create many options off the tee.

Really enjoyed both rounds.  Get over and play them! 

Jason Hines

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Hi Steve,
I played Hillcrest right after it went public and had the course all to myself – would play it again. 
Still need to get to Swope on of these days to check it off the list and would do it during the week when you played as I hear it is a death march on the weekend.  Thanks for reporting back and let us know the next time you are back in town.  I belong to a club and need an excuse sometimes to play elsewhere.

Curtis Woods

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 05:28:25 AM »

Jason,

I am happy to report that both Swope Memorial ($28) and Hillcrest CC ($29) exceeded my expectations.  Both of these courses are thriving and will get a replay from me next time I am in town.  Super fun golf on very hilly terrain.  Course conditions were good as well, the zoysia was starting to get healthy.  Greens were decent for public golf.  Swope was a little bumpy but they are adding sand to smooth them out. 

Thinking back on the two rounds, I can't remember a single par 4 or 5 where some part of the fairway wasn't blind.  The rolling hills are so cool.  It really is amazing how the bulldozer has changed architecture in the states.  I found myself wondering what the course would look like if it was built on the site today.  My conclusion was not nearly as cool...

The scorecard at Hillcrest calls it a Donald Ross masterpiece, and I can't disagree.  Just a great golf course with a cool routing.  The Tillinghast Swope Memorial was a little quirky in places, specifically the two par 5's on the front that don't create many options off the tee.

Really enjoyed both rounds.  Get over and play them!

As a KC native, I've played both for over 50 years.  Swope Memorial is memorable. It used to be known as Swope No. 1 (with Swope No. 2 being a shorter course within the park --where I worked during high school and college-- adjacent to Hillcrest) Swope Memorial's tenth is a beautiful classic hole with a rolling ribbon fairway (reminiscent of Prairie Dunes No. 8) to an elevated green.  And I'd put the dogleg No. 14 up against any hole in the country.  No. 9 with the tee shot over a ridge with cross bunkers is magnificent, a well struck tee shot over the cross bunkers finds  a steep down hill with a difficult next shot up an even steeper hill to the green . The Kansas City Open was played there for many years.  I will get out there soon and post a photo tour later so everyone can understand Steve's and my excitement.
And if any GCAers come to KC, I'd be happy to play Swope, then host rounds at a couple of privates I belong to: Wolf Creek (Kansas) and Tom Watson's Loch Lloyd (or Tom Watson's National of KC).

JLahrman

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »

Long story but I may be in Kansas City with my family for about a week in September. If it happens and I can sneak out for some golf, looks like consensus would be Swope Park and Hillcrest?

Need to check into any travel restrictions when coming from another state as well as whether these courses are open, I suppose.

Also if I am in town, any recommendations for local beer to try? Wouldn't be going out to bars or restaurants but maybe something I could pick up in a grocery.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back