News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Rick Holland, Legend
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »

Golf eyes are on the Badger state this week but south in Chicago, a different kind of tussle is being waged.

Rick Holland continues his recovery from cancer. Nobody has been a greater friend to the game - his work in driving the changes at Beverly CC is legendary. Some of my adventures with him are too.  8) Back in the days when navigation systems were new, we finished a round at The Addington south of London center and were headed next to Alwoodley.  The shortest path was through London center. Off we charged! Three hours later, we were still in greater London enjoying its full ambience.  ::) :-\ Rick (who was driving) was howling with laughter at our ineptitude; 99 of 100 other drivers would have lost the plot. My bulbous head was hanging out the window like a dog's when we emerged finally from the morass.

Several weeks ago, a group of friends got together at Beverly and presented this Memorial Stump to Rick.

The great thing about golf is that it is there when you need it and your friends through golf are there when you need them.

Rick has always seen the good in life to the point where he rarely completes a sentence without a mid-sentence chuckle; tough to see him doing it tough but please, everyone give him a shout of encouragement. His 'child-like' enthusiasm for exploring and learning is a great thing to behold - and we want it back to full strength. Please share your own RH adventure story here. 

Rick, we are rooting for you, buddy!! 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:18:47 PM by Ran Morrissett »

J_ Crisham

Re: Rick Holland, Legend
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
This past winter Beverly embarked on an aggressive tree removal campaign. To say it was met with resistance by some of our members would be an accurate statement. Rick was very instrumental in 2003 promoting our initial restoration . Fast forward 14 yrs and once again Rick was at the forefront leading the tree removal charge. Rick's tireless efforts at Bev over the years have resulted in a golf course which is simply outstanding .

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:54:34 PM »
We've never met, Rick. But you must be one of the good ones, a stand-up guy, to have developed the friendships and won the loyalty of a group of such good, stand-up guys. Get well soon - and play a lot of golf with those mooks at Beverly! :) 
Best
Peter
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:32:17 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Tim Fitz

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
Rick was paired with my 70+ year old dad and me at a Western Golf Association event down at Hideout in Florida earlier this year.  As we played the first few holes and got to know each other, it somehow came out that I frequented this site.  Rick didn't miss a beat and quickly leaned in towards my dad warning "you do not want to know the dangerous places that your son visits on the internet."

We spent a very enjoyable round talking golf, architecture, Rick's efforts with respect to the restoration of Beverly and the relative merits of southsiders vs. northsiders in Chicago.  As some of you know, like most from Beverly CC, Rick is a world class sh-t talker and he needled my father and me endlessly for being effete golfers from the North Shore.  Halfway through the backside, my dad having had enough exclaimed "hey assh-le, I grew up in the Back of the Yards, not hoity-toity Beverly".  Suddenly we were all fast friends.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »
You are in our prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery, Rick!
H.P.S.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
Keep fighting Rick, we're pulling for you.I seem to remember Rick most from the gca Banff & Jasper Park outing long time ago.  He had a set of hickory clubs and let everyone tee off from the elevated tee at the Hotel when we got to play the original routing..  i think I still have the Clayman autograph balata ball used.We got out ahead of Rick and Cummings and Nuzzo at Blackhawk near Edmonton and ended up waiting quite a while at Wolf Creek, for them to show, seems they went to see some new hole(s) being built by Whitman and rousted him from his tent and had lunch to discuss gca..   Very nice guy, definitely a character
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
best wishes Rick
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »
About 15 years ago I was fortunate enough to play Beverly as a single.  After the round I was enjoying a beverage in the grill waiting on my taxi when Rick Holland stepped up and introduced himself.  Rick's passion for the course was almost overwhelming and my cabbie was none too pleased when Rick kept him waiting.  What a great fellow.  I was fortunate enough a couple of years later to tee it up with Rick and Redanman at The Rim - what a treat.

Rick, I'm praying for your healing.

Mike Hendren
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »
Rick!
Get well soon!

I will never forget all of our a-ha moments and big laughs traveling across the Canadian Rockies.
Me, Jon Cummings and Rick put a lot of miles, vertical and horizontal, over a many day trip, that included Banff, Jasper and Black Hawk, and several others.
Some of the hardest laughs may have been while you were watching JC count the Seven Sisters!

Much love
Mike Nuzzo
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 01:22:43 AM »
Rick Holland is one hell of a great guy.

He loves people. He loves golf. He loves the Bev. He really is more Back of the Yards than Beverly, and needles you endlessly if he cares one whit about you.

He helped rope me into writing, photographing, and producing Beverly's centennial book, and liked it – except, of course for the photo of the 12th hole, because the aeration fountain was on, at it always is, and he hates the fountain. He and Paul Richards were the guys I leaned on when I needed one more thing or had one more idea.

Fight, fight, fight, Rick! Can't wait to see you again.

Tim
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
He is a fighter. May he win his latest bout.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
 ;)

God Bless Rick ,  all the best

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
A wise wizard once said, "a man is not judged by how much he loves, but by how much he is loved by others."

Godspeed and get well soon, Rick. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:31:37 AM »
In the complexity of our little nuthouse, I have not met Rick, and have only heard nice/great things about him. I wish Rick the best in recovery mode and hope to play golf with him at Beverly or similar someday.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Mark Studer

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
Legendary for sure. I am lucky to know Rick and to have played golf with him many times. Always smiling and giggling and just having fun in a contagious way, for sure.   We were paired in an event at MidPines and Rick hit a decent drive off #1 tee and proceeded to clock a 2iron uphill into the hole for eagle 2.  I know I have only seen one eagle 2 with a 2 iron in my whole life and we sure shared some healthy laughs about that one.  He was interested in some tree management at Beverly and he organized the super and pro to join him visiting  Pittsburgh to see what was going on in the late 90's and he helped lead the master plan idea that hired Ron Prichard for Beverly. He has quietly supported the excellent Chick Evans caddie program and scholarships program and,  if not mistaken, I believe that Beverly is the leader in the clubhouse. Quietlly doing big things, with a few friendly giggles for good measure. Rick was instrumental in having Beverly invite the USGA to host their SeniorAmateur there with Vinnie Giles winning, very cool indeed.  Ask any current or past caddie at Beverly about Rick and you see the many lives that he has touched. Yes, Ran , Legendary.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:33:08 PM »
Legendary for sure. I am lucky to know Rick and to have played golf with him many times. Always smiling and giggling and just having fun in a contagious way, for sure.   We were paired in an event at MidPines and Rick hit a decent drive off #1 tee and proceeded to clock a 2iron uphill into the hole for eagle 2.  I know I have only seen one eagle 2 with a 2 iron in my whole life and we sure shared some healthy laughs about that one.  He was interested in some tree management at Beverly and he organized the super and pro to join him visiting  Pittsburgh to see what was going on in the late 90's and he helped lead the master plan idea that hired Ron Prichard for Beverly. He has quietly supported the excellent Chick Evans caddie program and scholarships program and,  if not mistaken, I believe that Beverly is the leader in the clubhouse. Quietlly doing big things, with a few friendly giggles for good measure. Rick was instrumental in having Beverly invite the USGA to host their SeniorAmateur there with Vinnie Giles winning, very cool indeed.  Ask any current or past caddie at Beverly about Rick and you see the many lives that he has touched. Yes, Ran , Legendary.

To be called legendary by a gca legend is a great compliment indeed.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 08:23:46 PM »
There is no finer golfing companion on the planet (many finer golfers!).  Get better fast my friend.  I need to hear you repeat "downwind, downwind, downwind" to yourself when you are hitting into a 2 club wind!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
There is no finer golfing companion on the planet (many finer golfers!).  Get better fast my friend.  I need to hear you repeat "downwind, downwind, downwind" to yourself when you are hitting into a 2 club wind!

How about the fun we had at Riv and Bel-Air back in the day?  Oh my when we had legs...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:14:07 PM by Terry Lavin »

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 06:59:47 AM »
I have had the honor and privilege of getting to know Rick through Beverly CC and have always appreciated his sense of humor, his passion for the game and the club and his sense of obligation when it comes to giving back.  He has spent an unduly generous amount of time with me personally, meting out advice on how to navigate club politics and serving as an eager and willing “lightning rod” on thorny issues.

I was seated at a table with Rick and his son during the ceremony memorialized in the photo posted by The Judge.  What you see is a great man standing with several close friends.  But what you don’t see are the other sixty or so Beverly members off-camera who were there in the men’s card room to listen and support Rick, or the countless heartfelt inscriptions that since have come to adorn that cross-section of tree.

A legend indeed!

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
Rick my friend, keep fighting.  We have to visit your and Terry's favorite tree again soon. 

Shel

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »
I've known Rick almost 20 years. We havenot spent much time together, but our times were quality fun. I won't post the best stories on the internet. Just know I'm pulling for you Rick.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
I have had the pleasure of Rick's company on several occasions and his passion for the history of his club and others in our area is palpable.  May the same fire see him through his latest challenge.  I hope to see him sitting in the men's locker room at the Bev, having a drink, introducing himself to anyone he doesn't recognize and pushing his latest GCA agenda ASAP...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dunlop_White

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »
Yes, a legend indeed! Hoping you will be well real soon.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
Keep up the good fight, Rick!  Wishing you the best on this journey.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ted Sturges

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
Godspeed to you Rick. 

TS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back