News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Watching tournament golf live - but where?
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:48:57 AM »
I am excited planning for the 5th major coming up in just a few weeks.
While reading many threads I wondered, how many GCA men and women are not only players but spectators.
Here are 10 future championship sites I would love to visit in person.

September 21-24, 2017 = Crump Cup = Pine Valley = Pine Valley NJ
February, 2018 = Waste Management Phoenix Open = TPC Scottsdale - Phoenix AZ (Home city)
June 14-17, 2018 = US Open = Shinnecock Hills - Southampton NY
July 12-15, 2018 = US Senior Women Amateur = Chicago GC - Chicago IL
July 19-22, 2018 = Open Championship = Carnoustie Scotland
July 18-21, 2019 = Open Championship = Royal Portrush Northern Ireland
TBD, 2020 = Ryder Cup = Whistling Straits - Straits = Kohler WI
May 8-9, 2021 =  Walker Cup = Seminole - Juno Beach FL
June 12-15, 2025 = US Open = Oakmont = Oakmont PA
September 6-7, 2025 = Walker Cup = Cypress Point - Pebble Beach CA

What are your favorite tournament sites and why?
Architecture, past history, fellow spectators, geographic location, fun.....or all?

Greg Smith

Re: Watching tournament golf live - but where?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:02:10 AM »
Oakmont. 

(1)  I love the details of the greens and watching the players react.

(2)  It's nice to see tour players sweat.  Of course, Oakmont means the US Open and I guess they will all sweat that.

(3)  History of the place.  Oakmont has survived the test of time and the appearance/disappearance of all kinds of trends.  Gives me a little faith in the permanence of golf.

(4)  I know it's not politically correct around here, but I really don't mind the USGA's attitude regarding the US Open.  I think Oakmont is the perfect embodiment of hard-line severity for a major.  That's why the Open has visited there nine times.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
One element, if you are interested in the course as much as the competition is that in most amateur events you can walk down the fairways with the players. In some of the majors you might not be that close to the actual playing areas.
Be the ball

David Wuthrich

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »

I know I don't need to say it, but I will.

If you have never been to Augusta National to watch the Masters, even a practice round, that would be # 1 on my list.

There is not another "live" golf tournament experience like it.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
There is not another "live" golf tournament experience like it.

Truth be told, there isn't another spectating experience in sports like it.

WW

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:03:38 PM »
There is nothing I've seen in championship golf that is quite like the Open at St. Andrews. In 2000, there was a grandstand set up facing the 11th tee. From the top row, you could watch players approach 7 green, play 8,9,10,11. A great place to watch a lot of live golf.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
To me, the main reason to go to a golf tournament in person is simply to see the course in real life. The differences between walking the grounds yourself versus watching it on TV are simply astounding. Even the colors are night and day different on TV. At the Open in 2007, Oakmont was quite pale, almost brown; on this very website, people were complaining that the course was too green. That was TV in a nutshell. (Look, this is me in a nutshell....)

Aside from that, viewing golf live is really spectator UNfriendly. You see much less of the action, from much further away, and the beer costs much more. Granted, the amateur events rock in their willingness to allow people to walk the fairways, etc, but if your interest in the actual play in the actual event, TV is far superior.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:43:04 AM »
"What are your favorite tournament sites and why?"
Quail Hollow Club (Charlotte).  It's relatively near where I live and easy for me to get to via public and tournament-provided transportation.  The course has lots of good viewing spots and is easy to get around.  The recent tournaments there have been well run and very spectator ("patron," sorry)-friendly.  The crowd (sorry again, "patrons") has behaved when I've been there.  The field is usually pretty good and so is the course.  All that having been said, I only go on opening day, Thurs. (less crowded and full field), and not every year.  TV coverage is better for following the competition than being there in person, but every so often I find it enjoyable just to get out and walk around the course on a nice day.  (However, I'll miss the PGA Chamionship at Quail this year while I'm in the UK, but am looking forward to visiting the British Women's Open at Kingsbarns.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:36:49 PM by Carl Johnson »

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
My favorite event was the Solheim cup at Interlachen on a brisk fall day.  Great course and you could easily follow a match for 18 holes. 

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
I would suggest finding a college or amateur event played at a course you want to see. It's a perfect viewing experience and it's free, and a lot of the very best courses host them.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
I would suggest finding a college or amateur event played at a course you want to see. It's a perfect viewing experience and it's free, and a lot of the very best courses host them.

I was going to write the very same thing.
College events are free and there won't be loads of people. Went to and volunteered at the Men's regional at Aldarra this year and had a blast.
Amateur events are usually free, too. Walking with the players down the fairways is another unique experience. I was able to do that at Chambers during the 2010 US Am and loved every second of it.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Been to the Rosaurs in Spokane, WA (PGA Open event) a few times.  Fun and free with no gallery ropes, and very good players...

Other than the Masters, couldn't imagine a PGA tour even being all that interesting with the crowds, lack of good viewing spots, etc.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
I really enjoyed a day at Riviera earlier this year. Would love to be able to swing a trip back that way to see the Walker Cup at LACC. If not, the US Open beckons, but having been to Opens before, the infrastructure does tend to overwhelm, so it would be cool to see the course without that.

Sam Krume

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 02:27:08 AM »
I would suggest  a whole day at Walton Heath this coming Monday (28/05). final international qualifying, 100+ players and no ropes..what more could you ask for

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back